Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Proof that airline coffee is awful

Proof that airline coffee is awful

Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof that airline coffee is awful

http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20130...-wont-tell-you

I have always maintained that airline coffee is awful !!

Im surprised they didnt mention about the food as well .. (i always begin my fast when travelling - wonder if they do anything about the smell of the food !)
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof that airline coffee is awful

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20130...-wont-tell-you

I have always maintained that airline coffee is awful !!

Im surprised they didnt mention about the food as well .. (i always begin my fast when travelling - wonder if they do anything about the smell of the food !)
I never eat on planes unless it's a necessity. Nuts only.

The cooked dinner you are served is typically a week old.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I never eat on planes unless it's a necessity. Nuts only.

Ditto. Although on my last flight on Maroc Air to Amsterdam I thought I'd try a little--the bite of chicken (allegedly) I took when flying over Gibraltar I was still chewing over Madrid. Truly awful.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

I assume that you don't travel much in cattle class.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:53 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be fair, I have taken a few chances with Emirates and PIA's served food, both cattle as well as business, and almost always like the food
Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:54 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates cattle class food is often pretty good.....for airline food. As long as you stick to the curries anyway.
In general airline food has improved immensely over the years but it is still fairly bad compared to anything you'd eat outside of an overpriced ride in a fat metal cigar full of farts and body odour.
That is however not entirely due to the food itself.
At altitude with decreased pressures and humidity your taste buds are about a third less sensitive, this combined with the reduced humidity and background noise creates the perfect storm to dull your senses. With a lowered sense of taste and smell combined with the mental confusion of the background noise and often wearing headphones even the best of meals would taste bland and insipid.
In short airline food will and can probably never taste good due to our biology
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:07 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Emirates cattle class food is often pretty good.....for airline food. As long as you stick to the curries anyway.
In general airline food has improved immensely over the years but it is still fairly bad compared to anything you'd eat outside of an overpriced ride in a fat metal cigar full of farts and body odour.
That is however not entirely due to the food itself.
At altitude with decreased pressures and humidity your taste buds are about a third less sensitive, this combined with the reduced humidity and background noise creates the perfect storm to dull your senses. With a lowered sense of taste and smell combined with the mental confusion of the background noise and often wearing headphones even the best of meals would taste bland and insipid.
In short airline food will and can probably never taste good due to our biology
that is why I always keep myself properly 'de-hydrated' before all flights to 'heighten' my senses, ofcourse
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I am usually pissed so find I actually enjoy the food much like you enjoy a kebab at 4am.

That said the breakfasts they serve are rank.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite thing about airline food are the buns. I split it in half, slather on the frozen butter and sprinkle on pepper and salt before joining the 2 halves.

Pepper+Salt = does a good job of masking unagreeable taste of the main course.