Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Yes I know that serving pork was not the issue here but rather how it was prepared. I am making no comment personally as I have little comprehension for why eating pork is such an issue for Muslims and Jews. Don't chickens eat the same sort of crap? Anyway, one for the purists to debate, perhaps.
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/go...ales-1.1141799
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pork Served in JBR Hotel

The best Pizza is a Pepperoni Pizza!

It's all just bullshit, because how many of these pious muslims will turn down a pig organ transplant when the procedure has been widely accepted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...s-by-2013.html
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:39 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is exactly analagous to the horsemeat in burgers issue convulsing the UK and Ireland at the moment (and it emerged in Ireland, by the way, because unike the UK, it requires stringent DNA tests of meat).

I don't get the fuss about pork either but if you didn't order it and you don't want it you shouldn't be getting it as a surprise....Same as veggies ending up with unexpected meat etc.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:32 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I think this is exactly analagous to the horsemeat in burgers issue convulsing the UK and Ireland at the moment (and it emerged in Ireland, by the way, because unike the UK, it requires stringent DNA tests of meat).

I don't get the fuss about pork either but if you didn't order it and you don't want it you shouldn't be getting it as a surprise....Same as veggies ending up with unexpected meat etc.
The fact is no one is hurt or harmed if this happens now and then.

It's not as if someone with a nut allergy was given nuts and died. Pork is a very tasty and healthy if fatty meat that happens to be the most widely consumed flesh in the world.

N.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
... happens to be the most widely consumed flesh in the world.

N.
I dont think that true or accurate. Out of a population of 7 billion or so 2.5b are muslims and jewish, so pork is out, 1 billion are hindus so beef is possibly out of the top 2, approx 750,000 are Buddhists, its difficult to calculate the number of veg-heads (through choice or poverty)

The largest consumption of meat is chicken (http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/themes...ackground.html) however i did read that goat is a contender for the top spot as well (Goat is extremely popular in the Middle East, North Africa, India, Pakistan, Mexico, and the Caribbean)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:31 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
I dont think that true or accurate. Out of a population of 7 billion or so 2.5b are muslims and jewish, so pork is out, 1 billion are hindus so beef is possibly out of the top 2, approx 750,000 are Buddhists, its difficult to calculate the number of veg-heads (through choice or poverty)

The largest consumption of meat is chicken (http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/themes...ackground.html) however i did read that goat is a contender for the top spot as well (Goat is extremely popular in the Middle East, North Africa, India, Pakistan, Mexico, and the Caribbean)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Except chicken isn't meat, its poultry.

That aside and on the topic of pious nonsense, I have a friend of a certain religious persuasion. He smokes. He drinks. He has a girlfriend and he's married. I understand that in his religion those things aren't permitted. I was out with him one evening, in a bar. We were hungry, I ordered pizza. It came, we ate. Half-way through the second slice he said, "Is this real pepperoni?". "Dunno, I'll check." It was. He disappeared for 5 minutes to the gents, obviously to throw up. I apologised (well, I am English).
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Except chicken isn't meat, its poultry.

That aside and on the topic of pious nonsense, I have a friend of a certain religious persuasion. He smokes. He drinks. He has a girlfriend and he's married. I understand that in his religion those things aren't permitted. I was out with him one evening, in a bar. We were hungry, I ordered pizza. It came, we ate. Half-way through the second slice he said, "Is this real pepperoni?". "Dunno, I'll check." It was. He disappeared for 5 minutes to the gents, obviously to throw up. I apologised (well, I am English).

It is weird that that the consumption of pork is the one area where few ever transgress. It is largely that they are told respeatedly as children how disgusting and unclean it is, which is not the same with alcohol.

My understanding is also that pork is the most widely consumed meat in the world. There may be ever growing numbers of muslims, but they aren't the global majority.

EDIT> A quick google shows it is either pork or goat.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent

"Pork is the most widely eaten meat in the world accounting for over 36% of the world meat intake. It is followed by poultry and beef with about 33% and 24% respectively." - that's according to http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/themes...r_sources.html. Few countries don't have the option to eat pork and those that don't are no healthier, more intelligent or better in any other measurable way I can think of that counts. Same goes for booze.

I've had goat a number of times, it's good in a curry but can be smelly if not prepared and cooked with decent seasoning. Pork is a wonderful, tasty meat - a bit fatty but like most meats perfectly healthy when consumed in moderation. Literally billions of people grow up on it and live long, healthy and fruitful lives. I don't really care if people avoid certain foods in the belief (and it's definitely a belief with no basis in fact) that it is dirty or forbidden - that's their business. As long as we can eat what I like without ridiculous concessions I don't care.

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Feb 6th 2013 at 6:38 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:37 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
It is weird that that the consumption of pork is the one area where few ever transgress. It is largely that they are told respeatedly as children how disgusting and unclean it is, which is not the same with alcohol.
Exactly. It's like eating dog or cat would be to most of us. Food is an area of deep psychology. I think the absence of logic and the prevalence of emotion here is entirely understandable and typical of any human.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. It's like eating dog or cat would be to most of us. Food is an area of deep psychology. I think the absence of logic and the prevalence of emotion here is entirely understandable and typical of any human.
True. We all know that pork was proscribed by religions that started in the ME due to issues with heat and obviously lack of refrigeration at the time. There was logic then for reasons of health, that no longer apply, but then religion is not based any any logic...
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:02 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
The fact is no one is hurt or harmed if this happens now and then.

It's not as if someone with a nut allergy was given nuts and died. Pork is a very tasty and healthy if fatty meat that happens to be the most widely consumed flesh in the world.

N.
that's totally besides the point though, the fact that you don't get hurt of harmed...I would't be hurt or harmed by eating dog, or fried bugs, but I would be totally freaked out if turns out that that was what I had been eating, or even if it was prepared/served kind of next to my meal.
Eating horse meat in Holland is quite normal, yet in the UK most people would not eat it. It's all just what you are used to at the end of the day.

I actually think British people are a bit obsessed with the whole pork thing, the way they go on about it like it's something amazing. You all seem to think it's tasty. It's certainly not perceived that way in Holland. I think that not having pork available in certain shops or restaurants wouldn't be an issue for most Dutch people.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by MataHari
that's totally besides the point though, the fact that you don't get hurt of harmed...I would't be hurt or harmed by eating dog, or fried bugs, but I would be totally freaked out if turns out that that was what I had been eating, or even if it was prepared/served kind of next to my meal.
Eating horse meat in Holland is quite normal, yet in the UK most people would not eat it. It's all just what you are used to at the end of the day.

I actually think British people are a bit obsessed with the whole pork thing, the way they go on about it like it's something amazing. You all seem to think it's tasty. It's certainly not perceived that way in Holland. I think that not having pork available in certain shops or restaurants wouldn't be an issue for most Dutch people.
Americans, Canadians, Germans, Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, most people in the Caribbean, lots of South Americans, plenty of Africans...just a few of the people who are bit obsessed with pork.

I think people who don't eat pork are more obsessed. If you eat it by mistake and are still ok what's the big deal? They throw fits, demand companies are closed and threaten people with violence and death. Just ask for an apology and move on...nothing except preconceived sensibilities have been harmed.

N.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:11 am

I've eaten dog, was advised not to eat cat because it's not good meat and have few food taboos. If a closed minded right wing bigot like me can do that so can anyone

N.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:14 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari

No, I guess anything could be used in things like Bitterballen. God knows what they put in them anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.