Poppy Seeds?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poppy Seeds?

I know this is a rather EW question, but I was hoping for a smidgeon of rationality in the odd response.

Are poppy seeds illegal in the UAE, or is this heresay? I am sure I have seen poppy seed muffins for sale and the seeds on bread rolls, but I haven't found any to buy in any supermarkets.

Thanks

Edit> I know about the cases of people being arrested in arrival for having a few in their possession, but you can get various things here that you are not allowed to 'import'.

Last edited by Meow; Jun 20th 2010 at 10:07 am.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poppy Seeds?

I saw poppy seeds in LuLu supermarket last week, do you think it could be different ''stages'' of the poppy seed, ie..little black seeds on the top of bagels = ok
I still wouldnt want to chance actually bringing in any though, as we all know rules can be changed to suit whatever mood they are in.

I'm afraid it's just another of those ''WTF'' rules that baffles us and baffles the people who made the rule, as they dont really know either.

A bit like the..you can consume Alchohol in a hotel if your a tourist, but you cant if you have a residence visa, but even if you have a licence and you get caught on the street drunk you will be fined,you also need a licence to buy alcohol from a distributor, but you dont really, because lots of people just go to Barracuda were they let you buy without a licence, but if you get caught you will be fined.

Hope that makes everything clear to any newcomers to Dubai.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:03 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I've never actually seen any poppy seeds or poppy seeded products in Dubai...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought about it, having not felt the need to consume these little rolls with poppy seeds on them.

But you can probably get them from supermarkets . They won't be the growable type though.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:18 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to grow them or convert them to heroin. I just want to bake with them and haven't found any in several supermarkets so far.

-
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

I have heard that poppy seeds which are capable of germination are illegal.

If they have been treated (ie by baking) so that they can't grow they are OK.

How you tell the difference other than planting them and waiting I don't know.

I am pretty sure you can buy them here - and they will have been heat treated.