Plato's Republic

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plato's Republic

Originally Posted by scot47
Those with an education probably read and discussed this in their teens.
It's wasted on teenagers. Which is a shame. I'd argue you need to be significantly older to properly understand Socrates.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Those with an education probably read and discussed this in their teens.
Hang on a minute. Despite the usual bitter undercurrent that only comes with age in your post, this is the first that I have agreed with.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Other here are bitter because
they were educated at South London Poly and not at a decent university !
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I first read Plato's Republic at school but like most students didn't really understand the implications. It was novel and we had vigorous debates but that's from the perspective of teenagers. Then I read it again at university and only understood it a bit better.

But now in rereading it, it's more provocative than it was for a 17 year old geek. Life experience comes with greater awareness and understanding of what Socrates was getting at as well as the inherent downsides of Socrates' arguments. And, as function_analysis pointed out, there's much lost or misunderstood due to translation that's not evident to the first time reader who usually takes the book too literally, word for word, without understanding what the ancient Greeks really meant by certain meanings and implications and the context of the time.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the reread and I won't bore anyone anymore about it. I'll post a separate thread for Aristotle next week
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

function_analysis is an unknown quantity at this point

Great stuff DXBtoDOH..."Virtue is honourable and difficult, vice is easy and profitable" as Hesiod says.

Take the next step ahead with Aristotle this time and PM me in case the pack will be still screaming

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the reread and I won't bore anyone anymore about it. I'll post a separate thread for Aristotle next week
Old Feb 24th 2018, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

personally I am taking great delight in reading "Just William" I suddenly understand my life. I kept on meeting women who were like Violet Elizabeth Bott.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hang on a minute. Despite the usual bitter undercurrent that only comes with age in your post, this is the first that I have agreed with.
Undercurrent?

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
In the glorious State school I spent most of my time in they were too busy teaching remedial English to teach any of the classics of Western civillisation.

Innit.

N.
No chance of it happening at any secondary school within reason. At my grammar we did the usual things - Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men etc etc etc.