Places

Old Jun 26th 2011, 11:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Places

What's the best place you've ever been for a period of time? Also, what's the worst?

Let's say, around a week minimum?

My worst would have to be a camp site in France somewhere, I was about 6 or 7 and hated every minute of that holiday. Everything about it was terrible, it began my love of hating the French too. One of them grassed me up for booting a step sister and I got in barrel loads of trouble.

My best is hard to pick, I quite enjoy Dubai but struggle with it's superficial bollocks...probably have to be Cornwall, Polzeath or Croyde in Devon. They are the two places in the South West that I'd kill to go back to for long weekends camping, surfing all day, drinking all night. Especially in Billy Budds.

What about you lot?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places

Worst: Beni Suef, Egypt. Hot, filthy and nothing to do.
Best: Kobe, Japan. Civilised, interesting and scenic.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Worst: Beni Suef, Egypt. Hot, filthy and nothing to do.
Best: Kobe, Japan. Civilised, interesting and scenic.
You're a fan of Japan I've noticed.

It's on my list of places to go, and quite high up too.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Best - Palawan Islands in The Phillippines / unspoilt paradise , well it was 10 years ago .

Worst - Aden in Yemen and Port Moresby in P.N.G / both crazy for all the wrong reasons , serious injury or death is never too far away .
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're a fan of Japan I've noticed.

It's on my list of places to go, and quite high up too.
Some is, but a lot is at sea level.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Best - Palawan Islands in The Phillippines / unspoilt paradise , well it was 10 years ago .

Worst - Aden in Yemen and Port Moresby in P.N.G / both crazy for all the wrong reasons , serious injury or death is never too far away .
Agree! - Palawan is Paradise, Iraq is Purgatory!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:55 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Best: Bangkok is up there, southern Norway in the summer is nice.

Worst Bangkok is up there, Dundee is a shit hole
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Best: Lake District - especially lake buttermere or Japan (ended up there for 9 months !)

Worst: Has to be court when i divorced the serperent known as the wife (felt more than a year of my life rather than the day or so) !!

Last edited by UKCityGent; Jun 26th 2011 at 4:19 pm. Reason: .
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's the best place you've ever been for a period of time? Also, what's the worst?

Let's say, around a week minimum?

My worst would have to be a camp site in France somewhere, I was about 6 or 7 and hated every minute of that holiday. Everything about it was terrible, it began my love of hating the French too. One of them grassed me up for booting a step sister and I got in barrel loads of trouble.

My best is hard to pick, I quite enjoy Dubai but struggle with it's superficial bollocks...probably have to be Cornwall, Polzeath or Croyde in Devon. They are the two places in the South West that I'd kill to go back to for long weekends camping, surfing all day, drinking all night. Especially in Billy Budds.

What about you lot?
Not sure about best, but worst was Cyprus a couple of summers ago.

The house we rented was filthy, I actually had dreams of finding a hoover and cleaning the damn place. Didn't help that I was heavily pregnant and got bitten to death by something in the bed every night (and no it wasn't my husband).

Sorry got to go, just started itching and need to scratch... eughhh bloody flea pit.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best - For a cheap holiday, trip up to Lake District and Edinburgh for the weekend.

For a longer holiday, tour of southern Japan...because I got to hang out with friends and family I'd not seen in years, it was beautiful and the hot spa's were lovely.

Worst - For the cheap, Blackpool, wrong time of the season I guess, a case of trying to avoid the coffin dodgers.

Also trip to Bavaria....generally beautiful, but the village I stayed in was still stuck in Nazi Germany...got all a little uncomfortable when my brothers friend introduced us to the fiance of his sister...the blue eye/blond hair clan, you could almost hear them goose stepping away when they realised my father was of Austrian jewish decent
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Oh!! I remember being in Aden on route to Singapore back in the 60's..... we were delayed for a few days....the plane was overran by those little frogs they have there....my brother and I took pocket loads on to the plane..
It was a Comet out of Brize Norton to Singapore via Aden and Gan.
This was obviously when the dead sea was still alive and kicking
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

this is an intersting site I found whilst looking for info re comets and flights to Singapore
http://www.spyflight.co.uk/51sqn.htm

Sharjah Routes

Sharjah was situated about ten miles north of Dubai and the RAF detachment was built around an old fort that was used by the "Cable & Wireless" personnel who ran the airfield. During the summer months the temperature rose to over 120(F coupled with a humidity of 100%. Our ground crew, who travelled with us, were only allowed to work outside on the aircraft for a maximum of twenty minutes at a time because of the temperature and the humidity, and we spent most of our spare time in our air-conditioned accommodation until the sun went down and it was comfortable to venture out. The big problem came when we were scheduled to fly in the heat of the day. A mobile air cooler would be fed into the front door of the aircraft and kept running until after we had started the engines and were ready to taxi. But even with this, by the time we had taxied to the runway, we would all be like grease spots until we started to gain height. Then, as we climbed, the temperature would drop rapidly until at height we would all be putting on extra clothing to get warm. During the winter months, it was still very warm during the day but the humidity was less and at night the temperature dropped to almost zero.
Cyprus to Sharjah Route

Sharjah was a very small Muslim town ruled over by the local Sheikh. No alcohol was allowed to be taken off the Base but the Sheikh regularly visited the Mess in the Fort with several of his wives, completely covered from head to toe no matter how hot the weather, and always left with a case of spirits. The town was "Off limits" to us on a Thursday as this was punishment day and all punishments were carried out publicly in the Town Square. These ranged from floggings for violating another man's wife to hands being cut off for theft. The punishment for murder was beheading! On the odd occasion when we spent more than a couple of days at Sharjah we would get a taxi to take us into Dubai to the local bazaar but we never felt really safe there and always went in groups of at least four. We were always glad to leave and get back to Cyprus. Fresh water in Sharjah was only for drinking. All showers and washing was with salt water and we found that the only way to get a lather was by using either shampoo or a local soap called "Vel" to shower with.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Patsy Stoned;9458423]this is an intersting site I found whilst looking for info re comets and flights to Singapore
QUOTE]

are you in this footage Patsy?

Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:14 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Best? Too many really - everywhere has its own charm... apart from:

- Dartford. Lived there for 4 lonnnng years. Unfortunately gneurgh... nope, I can't find anything nice to say about the place.

- Marrakesh when you're early-days pregnant and have a hyper-sensitive sense of smell - I found it a sensory overload - people were too in-your-face, combined with being incessantly noisy, but the most was just the smells - moped fumes, donkey fumes, grilled whatever fumes, unrefrigerated fish fumes, dead cat (true), cars, tanneries... [shiver]. I spent most of my time either retching or gasping for fresh air. However, it might be wise to give it the benefit of the doubt and go back not-pregnant. Oh, actually no... the in-your-face people got my goat too much.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 8:53 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Best:
- Somewhere in Kenya (impossible to pick one place though)
- Norwegian mountains, enjoying the silence of nature..
- Sailing down the Norwegian coast with a beer in my hand

Worst:
I lived for 5 months in Khobar. It was so boring that I can't even remember enjoying it for a single second.

Absolute worst:
When I first moved to the UK from Norway I was burgled after 3 days! It happened while I was at home and it spooked the hell out of me. I slept with a bat next to my bed for the 3 months until I left the place for good. Farnham Royal - what a shithole!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.