phone help

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default phone help

thinking about buying a blackberry for a gift for someone, does anyone know if blackberry will be launching a new model soonish, dont want to buy the latest model and then a new one comes out ....

thanks

A
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:20 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: phone help

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
thinking about buying a blackberry for a gift for someone, does anyone know if blackberry will be launching a new model soonish, dont want to buy the latest model and then a new one comes out ....

thanks

A
The blackberry tour is meant to be launched sometime in Sept I think... It is supposedly the best yet.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

A new one has just come out in the UK that's similar to a smartphone in that it can open and edit microsoft windows docs, word, excel etc. I had a meeting with a guy last week who had that model, can't remember its number off the top of my head though.

I went into Plug Ins on the weekend because they've got a good range of blackberries and apparently their after sales services is very good. They said the UAE hasn't received this new model yet and they're expecting it to take a few months to arrive.

I got a Blackberry Javelin instead, which does all the tricks and has some nice additions, but is not the most expensive model.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The blackberry tour is meant to be launched sometime in Sept I think... It is supposedly the best yet.
Auto, Sept 1st for UAE? Do you know what the new model has that the ones out now have not got.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
A new one has just come out in the UK that's similar to a smartphone in that it can open and edit microsoft windows docs, word, excel etc. I had a meeting with a guy last week who had that model, can't remember its number off the top of my head though.

I went into Plug Ins on the weekend because they've got a good range of blackberries and apparently their after sales services is very good. They said the UAE hasn't received this new model yet and they're expecting it to take a few months to arrive.

I got a Blackberry Javelin instead, which does all the tricks and has some nice additions, but is not the most expensive model.
Thanks EE, well thats the idea of getting a blackberry out then no point in getting the model thats out now if a new one about to come on the market. Back to don't know what to get! Aahh
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:22 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Auto, Sept 1st for UAE? Do you know what the new model has that the ones out now have not got.
I dunno! I was told Sept sometime... it is available in US. If you want the iPhone look alike that is the Storm - pretty good, but new version later this year I think...

"Wrap Up

Put simply, the BlackBerry Tour is far and away the best CDMA BlackBerry available, and it could very well might be the best BlackBerry period if not for a few shortcomings. At this point in the game, we're still in denial that there isn't WiFi in this device -- it's inexcusable. We're well aware of Verizon's stance on the matter, and we still think it's ridiculous that they're allowing RIM to offer a device in this category that doesn't offer such a basic, universal feature, seemingly in an effort to increase reliance on WWAN data services and juice customers for a few extra bucks in data revenue. We're also disappointed that the screen doesn't make the most of the available real estate and that it seems excessively sensitive. Bottom line, if you're a CDMA user and plan to keep things that way, the Tour is definitely the best BlackBerry available -- and it will probably be that way for a long time to come."

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...y-tour-review/
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:52 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i have the basic blackberry. Its great and has withstood all kinds of test. It survived the 'throw at wall in a fit of rage' test. It has dropped 60Ft bounced a few times and still worked...

a few wee dents here and there but it survived where lesser brands would have faltered.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy their newest model anyway, the Blackberry Storm, it's just rubbish. I quite like the Blackberry Bold, although I switched it for a Nokia E71
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

mart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nice

thanks

A
the new palm is supposed to be better, also get a phone that supports skype via wifi
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

. Bottom line, if you're a CDMA user and plan to keep things that way, the Tour is definitely the best BlackBerry available -- and it will probably be that way for a long time to come."[/I]

Make sure you get the GSM Version, if available. CDMA would not work here!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

I use a Bold and it is the best business handset I have ever had and I have tried almost everything!
But, depends what you want the handset for - if for biz comms, emails, text etc then BB is the best BUT the real advantage is the data plan which keeps you always connected - like broadband for mobile. The data plan can be expensive - AED295 for the global plan or around AED 180 for local. In my opinion, there isn't much difference between current BB keyboard handsets since they all use the same operating system and can all run the same apps - difference is in size and feel. I doubt the Tour will be much different and it doesn't have wifi while the Bold has everything; the Curve 8900 has no 3G but I think it has wifi. Don't know about the Storm except it will be replaced soon and the new one will have wifi.
If you want web browsing on the move and lots of apps then the iPhone is best.