Reload this Page >

Parents can't moan about school fees - GEMS chief

Parents can't moan about school fees - GEMS chief

Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:06 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Parents can't moan about school fees - GEMS chief

This guy strains my piss at the best of times BUT....

Sunny Varkey

Varkey claimed a new school would need to charge a minimum AED12,000 ($3267) per student per year in order to survive.
“I would say about AED12,000 upwards per annum for an Asian curriculum and AED18,000 upwards for the English curriculum,” he told Gulf Business.
I pay him some AED70,000 a year so he's admitting he's making AT LEAST 52,000 A YEAR from me alone, multiply that by the 1,700 or so students at JC alone (88 MILLION DIRHAMS), and he still wants to put up the fees.

Disgusting, rip off twat ********.

It's not as if junior has a brilliant education either.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:41 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents can't moan about school fees - GEMS chief

I agree. The education farce has totally blown out of proportion in the past few years in my opinion. In my time a school was a good school because of its teachers and its reputation. NOT by the giddy factor of its tuition fees.

And its not just here, its everywhere. In my country it has become a status symbol thing to have to send your kids to an arty farty school and if you do not then either become the outcast or worse have the kid suffer as one.

And answer me another question, why the **** do the poor kids have to spend the whole day trying to learn something, only to come back for a quick lunch and then shoved out of the door again for another 4-5 hours of extra lessons at XYZ tuition center or whatever? When I was a kid, I went to school, came back home, bollocks to the homework and ***ed off to play outside. Ofcourse my parents had a go at me all the time but I never had to go to any tuition centers nor anyone came home to teach me. But exams time, it was naturally assumed that if me or any of my siblings did not do well, then we would be taken out to the back yard and summarily shot!! The threat of violence rather than actual violence itself always did the trick
Strange times we live in!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:19 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Those who can do those who can't teach.

When salaries are so disparate between industry and teaching you can't help but feel that most of the best will not be found in schools teaching.

I'm sure ill take a lot of flak for that but other than either an overwhelming desire to be a teacher or an inability to get another jobi can't see why anyone would become a teacher. Ok the leave is superb but the pay is universally shit regardless of country
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:47 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

When salaries are so disparate between industry and teaching you can't help but feel that most of the best will not be found in schools teaching.

I'm sure ill take a lot of flak for that but other than either an overwhelming desire to be a teacher or an inability to get another jobi can't see why anyone would become a teacher. Ok the leave is superb but the pay is universally shit regardless of country
Wages in the UK for teachers, especially those with extra responsibilities are pretty high. So a department head can earn circa 50k, a head teacher around the 100k mark. So decent money.

As you point out, teaching is a vocation but to label all teachers as failures is a bit insulting really and a very lazy stereotype.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Quoting from fiction, to apply to real life? Next you'll be quoting Taken.

But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.
A jab at teachers, when teachers in the West have shifted to left wing/revolutionary mindsets is becoming quite inappropriate, and perhaps just an attack from the right on those who unionised with a view to protecting their wages, pensions and way of life. Things appear to have turned 180.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Wages in the UK for teachers, especially those with extra responsibilities are pretty high. So a department head can earn circa 50k, a head teacher around the 100k mark. So decent money.

As you point out, teaching is a vocation but to label all teachers as failures is a bit insulting really and a very lazy stereotype.
Agreed. I have a good whinge about teachers from time to time, but my kids went to state schools, as I did, and by-and-large the teaching was good to great (I'm home next week for Bahtatsprog#1's graduation ceremony--actually Dr Bahtatsprog#1 as I must now address her, so she didn't fare too badly). And, as you say, the pay's not that bad, nor's the pension or the holidays.

I've known some crap teachers, but I've known people who are crap in almost every job / profession, so singling them out is unbalanced.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:18 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

And yet the vast majority will never be a head teacher and thus never reach that level of salary and out of interest how many will become department heads?

Insulting it may be but apart from those who are driven to publicly serve how many of the brightest physicists, chemists, mathematicians etc become teachers ?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:21 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Quoting from fiction, to apply to real life? Next you'll be quoting Taken.

A jab at teachers, when teachers in the West have shifted to left wing/revolutionary mindsets is becoming quite inappropriate, and perhaps just an attack from the right on those who unionised with a view to protecting their wages, pensions and way of life. Things appear to have turned 180.
Sorry I didn't see my clearly obvious political undertones

I suppose quoting Shakespeare is also now verboten
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:22 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Agreed. I have a good whinge about teachers from time to time, but my kids went to state schools, as I did, and by-and-large the teaching was good to great (I'm home next week for Bahtatsprog#1's graduation ceremony--actually Dr Bahtatsprog#1 as I must now address her, so she didn't fare too badly). And, as you say, the pay's not that bad, nor's the pension or the holidays.

I've known some crap teachers, but I've known people who are crap in almost every job / profession, so singling them out is unbalanced.
I have to say I'm not that biased I firmly believe most people are idiots
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I'm not that biased I firmly believe most people are idiots
There is that.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old saying "You get what you pay for - usually less".

Never so true when it comes to for-profit education providers.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:29 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

My sister works as a teacher at a 'half-way house', bit like a modern day borstal and earns very good pay.

I know it's not right to stereotype teachers, but I've met a fair few here (wife worked at a GEMS school) and just don't get the feeling that they are in teaching because of a love for it.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My Mrs is a teacher at a Gems out here and according to Shiva's train of thought she is the lowest of the low (PE).

But I can absolutely guarantee that any of your little shits will get a better PE lesson from her and one other in her department than most places.

I can also absolutely guarantee that Gems can be / are utter money-grabbers and will try to cut corners.

Most importantly, I can absolutely 100% guarantee that the worst parts of every single school are the parents. ****ing epic bunch of moronic, self important, brainless *****.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:07 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp
Most importantly, I can absolutely 100% guarantee that the worst parts of every single school are the parents. ****ing epic bunch of moronic, self important, brainless *****.
So that's me then Scamp?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:11 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

You hit the nail on the head there.

Some of the stories I've heard are unreal...a few years ago there was a big explosion in Al Quoz then chemicals in air from factories. School had emergency evacuation and two mothers complained that collecting their offspring interrupted their gym class.

And very rarely did any of the parents accept that their children were anything other than angels. The same parents who let kids run riot at brunches while they get wasted.

The one thing I do respect about the teachers is the patience they have with the parents. I'd maybe last as a teacher until parents evening, then I'd be sacked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.