Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

"Hate-crime"
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
By the same logic, toilets also are not male or female, nor are parking bays parents or toddlers. I think arguing against the term 'disabled toilet' is just kinda looking for things to be offended by.
Agreed. You can find offence anywhere if you look hard enough. The UK language is a mishmash of influences and often doesn't make sense or is contradictory / technically incorrect. It says a lot that its generally only folk in the UK who take offence about things like this, whereas the rest of the world just smiles and gets on with their day. I blame the whole PC brigade.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

"PC Brigade"
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

SJW
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Well, the thread title is, or is about, "words". And you did say you that you'd probably offend... I'm not trying to pick a fight (nor was I offended), but you did enter the fray to talk about words.

However, I apologise if I offended you. Obviously there's a balance to be struck between concise phraseology and the feelings of those affected: I hadn't realised that "disabled" was uncomfortable/unpleasant/demeaning. Sincere question -- what is the preferred term? Sorry, that sounds patronising, but isn't intended to be - clearly there must be times when clarity is required. Just "S/he requires accessible facilities"? (That may work in the west, but certainly wouldn't in much of the world...)

I parked in a bay marked "disabled" last weekend, and I didn't perceive it being unusual (the wording in the bay, not my parking) -- which it isn't out here, but I wasn't aware that bays marked in, say, Tesco back home are different. (I'm on crutches, so I wasn't just being an arse.)
You didn't offend me, I'm unoffendable (now there's a word!)

I was on my hobby horse and it took off at a gallop. My dislike of using the word disabled as a preface for nouns really stems from my irritation of the term 'disabled person'. People are people, with all their weird and wonderful differences, the fact that they have a disability is secondary to that.

It's not about being offended, or being the language police. It's about the struggle people with disability have to be perceived as a person, instead of being defined by their disability. I can explain a lot better than that but I'm only on my first coffee of the day.

For signs on doors/over parking spaces etc, I think the wheelchair symbol is pretty universal and works well in most places but I don't know if that applies to the Middle East.

Use of language is a controversial subject at the best of times, and some people quite understandably get a bit het up when it's suggested that a word/term they've used all their lives is perpetuating negative stereotypes. I would never be so up myself as to tell people what they should and shouldn't be saying, they'd quite rightly tell me to get stuffed. But if someone keen to understand asks, like you have (bless ya!), I just suggest keeping it simple and factual. I like 'accessible loo/toilet', but I wouldn't knock back a 'disabled' loo and would probably be in way too much of a hurry to get there to stay and argue the point

One example that may help clarify the positive aspects of a simple shift in terminology is the move from 'she's a spastic' to 'she has cerebral palsy'. The former was in common use for decades, the difference it makes by using the simple, factual 'she has cerebral palsy' is marked.

Just one other thing, I realized that my previous post gave the impression that I have a disability. I don't (unless rabbiting on on internet forums counts), my daughter does and she's in a wheelchair. She's had a lot of funny/infuriating/rude and downright weird things said to her over the years, but our favourite and the one we still laugh at happened when we were shopping in the city. An old gentleman studied her for some time in the lift, while she eyeballed him back (as she does). He finally delivered his verdict ' dropped on her head as a baby'.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Whoa... we're talking about the term, not the need for the thing. To extrapolate from my having a different opinion about the term to my not appreciating the need for disabled/accessible toilets and the like is just ... stupid. Do you honestly think that I don't know that those with a disability need them? Or, for that matter, d'you think that they'd be stumped by seeing a sign reading "Disabled Toilet"?
Mostly in design and architectural circles they are always called accessible toilets. (Or in more technical terms (esp. in Ireland) they are called Doc M or part M toilets, in reference to the building code specification.)

Accessible sounds better than disabled to me, but of course leads to the question aren't all toilets accessible.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't these amenities be properly labelled?

Bathroom facilities with enhancements to specifically suit and aid those who would genuinely benefit from said enhancements (but which may be used by others not necessarily requiring such enhancements as and when they are not otherwise required).

Not sure what you could use as a graphical symbol to denote this description in order for it to be universally understood though.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Shouldn't these amenities be properly labelled?

Bathroom facilities with enhancements to specifically suit and aid those who would genuinely benefit from said enhancements (but which may be used by others not necessarily requiring such enhancements as and when they are not otherwise required).

Not sure what you could use as a graphical symbol to denote this description in order for it to be universally understood though.
I'd like to suggest a picture of a wheelchair.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'd like to suggest a picture of a wheelchair.
Yes, quite good, but rather discriminatory and might cause offence to those who might be otherwise-ly abled.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yes, quite good, but rather discriminatory and might cause offence to those who might be otherwise-ly abled.
I don't get offended and I use disabled / accessible bogs all the time.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take the risk
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't get offended and I use disabled / accessible bogs all the time.
If there's a queue and I need to go and its free..... take a quick look around and boom. In.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
If there's a queue and I need to go and its free..... take a quick look around and boom. In.
100%. Not 'Disabled Only' are they?

Plus, it's nice to be able to spread out a bit and have some full room privacy instead of listening to grunting and plops.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:02 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If someone is offended by the word disable, even when not meant in a negative manner, it's probably best they don't go to the US where the term most used is handicapped. Handicapped parking etc.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
100%. Not 'Disabled Only' are they?

Plus, it's nice to be able to spread out a bit and have some full room privacy instead of listening to grunting and plops.
Too true!

If I ever get dragged to Barasti that's the only saviour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.