Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Old Jun 18th 2017, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

I'm a 'Regards' kinda chap unless you've done something well / beyond the call of duty then its 'Best regards'....

I do like writing a decent passive aggressive email though. Something that doesn't explicitly say that you're a twat, it just strongly alludes to it..... repeatedly.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I do like writing a decent passive aggressive email though. Something that doesn't explicitly say that you're a twat, it just strongly alludes to it..... repeatedly.
I enjoy writing them to non-Brits.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I enjoy writing them to non-Brits.
Try picking up the phone and telling them directly. It's even more satisfying. I'm known for my straight talking.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Try picking up the phone and telling them directly. It's even more satisfying. I'm known for my straight talking.
I don't have patience at the moment and can't tolerate stupidity at all. 'Straight talker' might be a good label to be allowed to carry on speaking without worrying....

It was suggested late last week that me refusing to accept the Sri Lankan guy's negotiation tactics of saying no to our offer to stay on less money because he needs more money for school fees wasn't a 'culturally different' way of negotiating, it was '****ing moronic and stupid'.

When I spoke to the chap and asked him what his plan was if he rejected our offer of an increase, he laughed. So I laughed. So then we were both laughing, at the fact he was going to say No to an offer of more money because it covered only 3,000 of the 3,166 needed for the school fees increasing. Calling him a liar and asking what he wasn't telling me and if he was stupid went down so well with the people sat around me that I had an audience for the rest of the call.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:42 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have patience at the moment and can't tolerate stupidity at all. 'Straight talker' might be a good label to be allowed to carry on speaking without worrying....

It was suggested late last week that me refusing to accept the Sri Lankan guy's negotiation tactics of saying no to our offer to stay on less money because he needs more money for school fees wasn't a 'culturally different' way of negotiating, it was '****ing moronic and stupid'.

When I spoke to the chap and asked him what his plan was if he rejected our offer of an increase, he laughed. So I laughed. So then we were both laughing, at the fact he was going to say No to an offer of more money because it covered only 3,000 of the 3,166 needed for the school fees increasing. Calling him a liar and asking what he wasn't telling me and if he was stupid went down so well with the people sat around me that I had an audience for the rest of the call.
Um, perhaps he had, or was expecting, a better offer from elsewhere?

Meanwhile, apropos "kind" regards: in my very firm view, kindness is an attribute that can/should only be observed by somebody else. One should never seek to ascribe kindness to one's own actions or intentions in my view. Hence, never ever offer "kind regards" as I may find them decidedly unkind and you, at best, blunderingly ignorant or, worse, pompously malevolent for describing them thus....
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope

Meanwhile, apropos "kind" regards: in my very firm view, kindness is an attribute that can/should only be observed by somebody else. One should never seek to ascribe kindness to one's own actions or intentions in my view. Hence, never ever offer "kind regards" as I may find them decidedly unkind and you, at best, blunderingly ignorant or, worse, pompously malevolent for describing them thus....
Oh he said he had one, for more money than ours, but that he'd rather work for a British firm than a local. So I discounted that immediately as irrelevant.

I disagree on 'kind'. I wish you Kind Regards. If 'you' (recipient) choose, deliberately or otherwise to take that the wrong way then the problem is entirely 'yours'.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat141; Jun 19th 2017 at 4:21 am. Reason: .
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:45 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It's worse when people put it into their auto-signature, so it becomes just a default platitude. Even worse is people for whom "Kind Regards" or "Best Regards" is too much of an effort to type so they put "KR" or "BR".
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

... pompously malevolent for describing them thus....
pot kettle black
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Dude..
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

But what if I mean it kindly? I usually do. I am many things but rarely pompous and malevolent at the same time.

If I don't like you I'll usually write just 'regards' or if being friendly, or I know you, or am in a good mood, 'best wishes'.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:38 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
default platitude
Excellent phrase
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work with a woman who would end all her letters (pre-email days) with:

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Now that is pompous.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
If I don't like you I'll usually write just 'regards'
Great minds.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Great minds.
We really need to talk about this passive aggression.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow
I used to work with a woman who would end all her letters (pre-email days) with:

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Now that is pompous.
Pompous... Sounds more like someone to not be trusted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.