British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Online food ordering / delivery services (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/online-food-ordering-delivery-services-898993/)

jam25mack Jul 3rd 2017 10:01 am

Online food ordering / delivery services

Which one do you all prefer?

I have always used Talabat but their service has been awful lately - pay by card and confirmation doesn't come through so you have to go through the online help BS which takes forever, site crashing, v slow delivery (not really their fault but it is to a point) etc.

So whats everyone else using? I'm looking for selection of places, coverage in Dubai, ease of use etc.

Cheers

mission Jul 3rd 2017 10:09 am

Re: Online food ordering / delivery services

I use Zomato and Deliveroo...both have always been excellent in terms of keeping you update with your order.

mission Jul 3rd 2017 10:10 am

when you say 'online food ordering' do you mean ordering your groceries online?

DXBtoDOH Jul 3rd 2017 10:12 am

Zomato but most of the time found it quickly to run down and collect the order myself.

ExpatAl Jul 3rd 2017 10:19 am

Zomato, Talabat, Ubereats, Deliveroo...

Sometimes use the Entertainer for delivery but it has the hassle of calling and providing the coupon etc.

Gavtek Jul 3rd 2017 10:27 am

I've always used Foodonclick, never had any issues so never felt the need to try any others.

TheShed Jul 3rd 2017 10:46 am

Ubereats and Deliveroo for me. Some of the restaurants that I used to get direct delivery have now converted.

I love tracking my lunch on the app lol

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 4th 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12285732)
I love tracking my lunch on the app lol

This.

Whilst I have / will use Zomato and Foodonclick, Deliveroo tracking the rider makes life a lot easier. Order lunch, carry on working. Deliveroo message when he's left and on his way....walk home...turn TV on, lunch arrives. Lovely.

jam25mack Jul 4th 2017 4:41 am

Cheers for the comments. May have to try out a few of these as Talabat is swiftly going downhill.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 4th 2017 4:54 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12286306)
Cheers for the comments. May have to try out a few of these as Talabat is swiftly going downhill.

Never tried UberEats. If you do, let me know how good. I'm getting a bit bored of handing cash over to Uber so have avoided so far.

IKnowNothing Jul 4th 2017 5:40 am

You're better off phoning the company providing the food direct you know, it's quicker, direct and the restaurant don't pay 30% in commission, so you get better quality.

Try it and see.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 4th 2017 5:44 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12286321)
You're better off phoning the company providing the food direct you know, it's quicker, direct and the restaurant don't pay 30% in commission, so you get better quality.

Try it and see.

The thought of phoning someone and having to order food fills me with dread. Repeating words, repeating orders, misunderstanding each other etc etc etc....versus, a few clicks on an app?

Millhouse Jul 4th 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12286321)

Try it and see.

Not sure about the quality thing... but it's common here that if you order via an app you get less than if you ordered direct.

I hate ordering food online - I'd rather phone as that way I know they have actually received it and there is less scope for bullshit from their side.

Sometimes I walk over the road, order and have them deliver it later.

IKnowNothing Jul 4th 2017 6:09 am

Zomato for example, I've never seen a Zomato delivery bike (not that i look for them, they use the restaurants.

My usual order is on the restaurant's screen when i call in, as is my address, I just confirm it, they say 20 minutes and it's here.

And I'm putting money directly into the restaurant's pocket, not giving it to a nameless app. I'm a big believer in SMEs not faceless apps that want to know my friends list, log on with fb etc. All that is valuable for marketing, so they sell it, and you get more shit in your inbox/texts etc.

Millhouse Jul 4th 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12286335)
Zomato for example, I've never seen a Zomato delivery bike (not that i look for them, they use the restaurants.

My usual order is on the restaurant's screen when i call in, as is my address, I just confirm it, they say 20 minutes and it's here.

And I'm putting money directly into the restaurant's pocket, not taking it from a nameless app.

I didn't know Zomato was a charity.