Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One week holiday in June - where to go?

One week holiday in June - where to go?

Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One week holiday in June - where to go?

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Can I fly there in under ten hours?
holy crappola - i just googled this...it's approx an 18 hr flight
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

There's this thing called the Atlantic Ocean

Originally Posted by mission
holy crappola - i just googled this...it's approx an 18 hr flight
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

There's this thing called the Atlantic Ocean
whats another 8 hrs on top of 10 - just do it
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Greeks don't do it for me. Greek remains are not as interesting and more primitive (not including the Roman remains in former areas of Greece such as Ephesus). And all the good stuff is already in the British Museum.

Italy - all covered by previous trips. Although I was briefly appealed by the notion of just booking a flat in Rome for a week and hanging out and soaking up the civilised environment. Learn to become a guido, seduce the American ladies on their Eat Pray Love pilgrimage into a week long orgy, then I realised, um, no.

Actually never been to Cyprus or Malta. Any good? I imagine last week of June would be very busy.

Morocco - was contemplating that. Went there once, but I must have been, oh, old enough just to remember the heat and dust and weird foreign muck that had, you know bones in it. Could be worth a revisit. Fez - Marrakech and the Atlas? Perhaps Essaouira?
Greeks are lazy generally, the food is shit and the wine is awful but the place is stunning. Worth an explore. I'm biased though. Rent Dad's place in Crete? That's got some quality history.

Cyprus, went when I was a baby. Malta never, but heard nice things?

Georgia? Balkans? Scandinavia?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

talking of travelling - does anyone know where i can find a link to all the destinations/cities that Emirates flies direct from Dubai?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

Malta is a kind of Marmite place for some reason. We love it.

We actually go to Gozo, its smaller, more laid back sister island. We're going back in June for the 4th year running, can't wait!

There's loads of history if that's your thing and it's brilliant for snorkeling/scuba diving.
We go for the grub (because it has a lot of Italian influence, the food and wine is gorgeous), the weather and to basically unwind.

The fight is around 8 hours each way as there's an hour stop in Cyprus.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Austria-Slovakia-Hungary

Rent a bike and cycle the eurovelo 5 along the Danube.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I was intrigued. Till I discovered the flights from Doha would take about 14 hours due to two layovers A real shame otherwise it might have ticked the right boxes.

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
Malta is a kind of Marmite place for some reason. We love it.

We actually go to Gozo, its smaller, more laid back sister island. We're going back in June for the 4th year running, can't wait!

There's loads of history if that's your thing and it's brilliant for snorkeling/scuba diving.
We go for the grub (because it has a lot of Italian influence, the food and wine is gorgeous), the weather and to basically unwind.

The fight is around 8 hours each way as there's an hour stop in Cyprus.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:27 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Did the Dolomites last June. Wonderful place. Would like something a bit different.

I think I am going to Picos de Europa in September (to be confirmed). So not Spain.

Anyone know anything about Madagascar? Worth it?
I know something about Madagascar (and indeed the Picos in September) and a few other interesting places besides. I will, you will be relieved to hear no doubt, contain my nerdy verbosity on this occasion as I would not want to run the risk of being accused of being the kind of person unable to "pass up an opportunity to show off how culturally and morally superior they are".

Though I think I'd prefer that to being the kind of person who starts a thread looking for travel advice so they can then point out that they have already "been there" to every suggestion....
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

*cough*

Ahem.

How do I put it without looking like an spoiled twat?

Already done it. Half a dozen times (go ahead and throw your rotten tomatoes)

I do like Austria

Originally Posted by Pongo
Austria-Slovakia-Hungary

Rent a bike and cycle the eurovelo 5 along the Danube.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:29 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
talking of travelling - does anyone know where i can find a link to all the destinations/cities that Emirates flies direct from Dubai?
Err, just a wild guess: the Emirates website?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

You like to talk, don't you?

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I know something about Madagascar (and indeed the Picos in September) and a few other interesting places besides. I will, you will be relieved to hear no doubt, contain my nerdy verbosity on this occasion as I would not want to run the risk of being accused of being the kind of person unable to "pass up an opportunity to show off how culturally and morally superior they are".

Though I think I'd prefer that to being the kind of person who starts a thread looking for travel advice so they can then point out that they have already "been there" to every suggestion....
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:32 pm
...we killed the flame

You like to talk, don't you?
Not to unpleasant people.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

*cough*

Ahem.

How do I put it without looking like an spoiled twat?

Already done it. Half a dozen times (go ahead and throw your rotten tomatoes)

I do like Austria
If it's an active week you are after, there are lots of guide books here

Guides for walkers, trekkers, mountaineers, climbers and cyclists - Cicerone
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Much obliged. Was thinking of maybe a walking trip along the coast in the Balkans. Croatia maybe, though I've heard Montenegro is the up and coming destination. Only fear is being kidnapped by Albanian gangsters.

Originally Posted by Pongo
If it's an active week you are after, there are lots of guide books here

Guides for walkers, trekkers, mountaineers, climbers and cyclists - Cicerone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.