Nuclear Madness

Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Nuclear Madness

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I knew you would be on this today

Actually government guarantees are pretty standard on these kind of private sector projects. It happens all over the world - including in the UK. I was actually surprised it is only 2bn... seems far too low to me.

The underground PPPs were the first project pretty much anywhere in the world where the debt was not fully guaranteed by the government... and even then it was only 5% uncovered.
PFI and PPP stuff in the UK is hilarious. Re-modelled and changed for whatever fits any particular political agenda. Remember the BSF stuff? License to print money for a lot of private sector companies.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
PFI and PPP stuff in the UK is hilarious. Re-modelled and changed for whatever fits any particular political agenda. Remember the BSF stuff? License to print money for a lot of private sector companies.
I remember sitting in the DOT's office and advising on the trains. I said - don't do it this way... "we have to keep it off balance sheet and we do not care about the cost."

To be fair, PFI and PPP has delivered some amazing projects not forgetting that it has also kept me honestly employed for years. Is it always the cheapest choice for the government? hell no, it's not the cheapest but nor should it claim to be - sometimes is it, many times it is not - the issue is that it is badly presented as "value for money" which people also wrongly interpret as cheapest.

As for the nuclear power - something like this should be very tightly regulated and managed. Giving it to the chicks is a disastrous decision that almost combines the worst of both government procurement and PPP.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:00 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I remember sitting in the DOT's office and advising on the trains. I said - don't do it this way... "we have to keep it off balance sheet and we do not care about the cost."

To be fair, PFI and PPP has delivered some amazing projects not forgetting that it has also kept me honestly employed for years. Is it always the cheapest choice for the government? hell no, it's not the cheapest but nor should it claim to be - sometimes is it, many times it is not - the issue is that it is badly presented as "value for money" which people also wrongly interpret as cheapest.

As for the nuclear power - something like this should be very tightly regulated and managed. Giving it to the chicks is a disastrous decision that almost combines the worst of both government procurement and PPP.
Assuming you don't actually mean hens I'll provisionally agree
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Assuming you don't actually mean hens I'll provisionally agree
typo, brother. The yellow boys.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Absolutely, look at some of the huge PFI hospitals that have been delivered, the BSF for schools as well. Even prisons etc. Things we can't / couldn't really afford and governments don't want to borrow huge sums for because of the political suicide it could harbour.

PFI / PPP are a model needed sometimes to actually just get shit done. They weren't the quickest at times and involved a lot of civil servant do-gooders in the SPVs but they definitely serve a purpose.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you would be on this today

Actually government guarantees are pretty standard on these kind of private sector projects. It happens all over the world - including in the UK. I was actually surprised it is only 2bn... seems far too low to me.

The underground PPPs were the first project pretty much anywhere in the world where the debt was not fully guaranteed by the government... and even then it was only 5% uncovered.
I'm not against PPP, nor government involvement or support in general on important infrastructure projects. (Although for some projects / industries it should be 100% control.)

But as you say, allowing the Chinese to do anything for this project other than print some labels is blind ****ing stupidity, negligence and dereliction of duty. Their corruption is pandemic and evident. Their lack of quality and safety control is frightening (both their attitude to it and their of application of it). Their human rights record is appalling. Their attitude to the supply chain is far from what the Government mandated via the Latham Report.

Giving a significant portion of control of UK's electricity generation capability to any foreign power is beyond comprehension, but to allow that control go to the Chinese is just madness.

How do we stop it?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm not against PPP, nor government involvement or support in general on important infrastructure projects. (Although for some projects / industries it should be 100% control.)

But as you say, allowing the Chinese to do anything for this project other than print some labels is blind ****ing stupidity, negligence and dereliction of duty. Their corruption is pandemic and evident. Their lack of quality and safety control is frightening (both their attitude to it and their of application of it). Their human rights record is appalling. Their attitude to the supply chain is far from what the Government mandated via the Latham Report.

Giving a significant portion of control of UK's electricity generation capability to any foreign power is beyond comprehension, but to allow that control go to the Chinese is just madness.

How do we stop it?
I dislike the Chinese more than the next man, but if they don't get involved can we actually build it and stop a potential electricity shortage in the not to distant future? Not rhetorical, just asking.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I dislike the Chinese more than the next man, but if they don't get involved can we actually build it and stop a potential electricity shortage in the not to distant future? Not rhetorical, just asking.
Yes. It doesn't have to be the Chinese; plenty of developed countries who have the ability. Why give it to a third-world country?

And there are other options. The price alone allows that. £26bn for 3,200MW (and no way will that be the final cost, and I know that doesn't include the full life-cycle cost including de-commissioning and forever waste storage), equals £8m / MW; coal-fired costs about £1m / MW. By building a coal-fired plant we would save over £20bn. Fuel costs would probably be higher, but I don't believe full life-cycle would be. All the savings could be pumped into carbon capture. And the construction period would be less than half. That's just one option.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must say I was surprised at the tariff. 8 pence/ kwh. This, I assume excludes decommissioning provisions.

By contrast, Jordan is receiving bids for its solar program at around 7 CENTS/ kwh. i.e. around 50% less than we are getting on the nuclear.

In Iraq they pay around 3 cents/kwh -- although they do supply the gas for free. Add on market cost of gas and it would be around 6 cents.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:45 am
Hit 16's

I must say I was surprised at the tariff. 8 pence/ kwh. This, I assume excludes decommissioning provisions.

By contrast, Jordan is receiving bids for its solar program at around 7 CENTS/ kwh. i.e. around 50% less than we are getting on the nuclear.

In Iraq they pay around 3 cents/kwh -- although they do supply the gas for free. Add on market cost of gas and it would be around 6 cents.
The 8p/kw is simply the quoted "cost" in relation to the rated output of the plant. £26bn is the figure being bandied about--does that really include commissioning--I doubt it.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:50 am
Account Closed

The 8p/kw is simply the quoted "cost" in relation to the rated output of the plant. £26bn is the figure being bandied about--does that really include commissioning--I doubt it.
Sellafield clean-up costs rise to £53bn, says NAO - BBC News
Sellafield clean-up costs rise to £53bn, says NAO - BBC News
Mar 4, 2015 - The cost of decommissioning and cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear site in Cumbria has increased by £5bn to £53bn, says the National Audit Office. Margaret Hodge MP, chair of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) which commissioned the report, said the cost hike was "astonishing."
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:59 am
Hit 16's

Millhouse's figures are the correct base to work on (£/kwh) rather than mine which are just based on capital costs, but they're still relevance. And as Scamp is reiterating, the decommissioning costs of nuclear are massive.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse's figures are the correct base to work on (£/kwh) rather than mine which are just based on capital costs, but they're still relevance. And as Scamp is reiterating, the decommissioning costs of nuclear are massive.

The main points being that (a) the proposed tariff is higher than can be obtained on renewables these days (renewables used to be 20c/kwh etc) but its dropped massively in the last few years, and (b) the proposed tariff is highly unlikely to fully capture the decommisioning costs. At the end of the power purchase agreement if there isn't enough money to clean it up I doubt the sponsors will be topping up the reserves... it'll be your children's children.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:26 pm
Hit 16's

So how do we stop it?

"It" being nuclear in the first case, and letting the Chinese and the French build and own it in the second case.

Petition? Only if 10m+ sign up, still then it's not guaranteed.
Vote Labour? Assuming Corbyn's anti-nuclear, I haven't checked, but I do like his idea of re-nationalising the railways (for another thread, perhaps).
Massive civil disobedience? As with the petition, would require huge numbers, and most of the populace don't understand or don't care (I think).
Conserve energy? Now that's a novel thought...
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So how do we stop it?

"It" being nuclear in the first case, and letting the Chinese and the French build and own it in the second case.

Petition? Only if 10m+ sign up, still then it's not guaranteed.
Vote Labour? Assuming Corbyn's anti-nuclear, I haven't checked, but I do like his idea of re-nationalising the railways (for another thread, perhaps).
Massive civil disobedience? As with the petition, would require huge numbers, and most of the populace don't understand or don't care (I think).
Conserve energy? Now that's a novel thought...
The Chinese will sufficiently **** it up that it will never see the light of day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.