Nuclear Madness

Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:29 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nuclear Madness

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Carillion are getting less than 10% of the overall contract, and are part of a JV it seems on the HS2, you seem to be prejudging them to fail?

In all my time in construction I have never experienced an instruction to under-price fixed price contracts, perhaps in re-measurable works with the scope for variations there are guys going in on zero margin for turnover but certainly not under any fixed circumstances.
With a Market Cap of £300m, net debt of £700m and a pension deficit of £800m, Carillion has failed, it's a Norwegian Blue. Yet the UK Government contracts with this corpse, using taxpayer money
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:48 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
With a Market Cap of £300m, net debt of £700m and a pension deficit of £800m, Carillion has failed, it's a Norwegian Blue. Yet the UK Government contracts with this corpse, using taxpayer money
Dire straits aside, your assertion was they have under priced the job, with 2 other JV partners no less (probably under some kind of SPV) and will shortly be heading into a fire sale under administration.

Where as my reading of that JV is that the other 2 JV contractors will buy out the SPV and transfer the Carillion staff into their organisation to fulfill the contract if required. Potentially Carrillion will get some funds from the sale.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral

Where as my reading of that JV is that the other 2 JV contractors will buy out the SPV and transfer the Carillion staff into their organisation to fulfill the contract if required. Potentially Carrillion will get some funds from the sale.
Sounds like a lot of risk, potentially. But also huge reward.

HS2 is going to be a mess, with the CH2M procurement issue recently, it just looks like classic UK politically unpopular sort of project delayed by very expensive, red-tape-bound bureaucracy at all levels of the government.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sounds like a lot of risk, potentially. But also huge reward.

HS2 is going to be a mess, with the CH2M procurement issue recently, it just looks like classic UK politically unpopular sort of project delayed by very expensive, red-tape-bound bureaucracy at all levels of the government.
Ehhhh? Who procured CH2M?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Ehhhh? Who procured CH2M?
CH2M pulls out of £170m HS2 deal following contract award row | Construction Enquirer
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

You know I didn't even hear about this. After a bit of reading is sounds like a bit of a storm in a tea cup. They pull out after the losing bidders complain as an ex-employee has started in HS2. They are so whiter than white is unbelievable (trust me) so at the first whiff of rumours they dropped out. They're still taking the lions share of the project though.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:04 am
Account Closed

You know I didn't even hear about this. After a bit of reading is sounds like a bit of a storm in a tea cup. They pull out after the losing bidders complain as an ex-employee has started in HS2. They are so whiter than white is unbelievable (trust me) so at the first whiff of rumours they dropped out. They're still taking the lions share of the project though.
A fair complaint I think, bit too obvious, no?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

A fair complaint I think, bit too obvious, no?
Who knows. Actual attempt or coincidence....?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Who knows. Actual attempt or coincidence....?
Their head of rail goes to head up a big bit of HS2 and they swiftly secure a massive contract.

I mean, I'm not saying anyone's stupid for believing in coincidences but when it walks like a Pope, talks like a Pope and ****s kids, then it's probably a Pope.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Their head of rail goes to head up a big bit of HS2 and they swiftly secure a massive contract.

I mean, I'm not saying anyone's stupid for believing in coincidences but when it walks like a Pope, talks like a Pope and ****s kids, then it's probably a Pope.
The fact that they already had a much larger part of the project and have been involved since day one probably has some sway....

As I say, CH2M are whiter than white.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

The fact that they already had a much larger part of the project and have been involved since day one probably has some sway....

As I say, CH2M are whiter than white.
Nobody in construction / engineering is whiter than white when it comes to winning mega contracts.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
At some point it will fold when we leave the EU. Pressure on the currency and affordability must become a consideration. ...
Looks like that point's arriving earlier than everyone thought.

Industry watchers had expected the guaranteed price for power from windfarms around Britain’s coast to come in somewhere between £70 and £80 per megawatt hour, below the £92.50 for a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point.

But the “exceptionally low” results of a government auction on Monday for subsidy contracts show two offshore windfarms will be built for £57.50 per MWh, way below even the most extreme predictions. The price is half of what new offshore windfarms were being awarded just two years ago.

Those are't pie-in-the-sky, wishful-thinking figures: they're the ones which the major players (Innogy, Dong, etc) are agreeing to to generate power.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...all-record-low
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:12 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Carillion having another bad day...
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

"Mr Bland of JP Morgan said contracts that have hurt Carillion include a hospital in Liverpool, a bypass in Aberdeen and a tramway in Sheffield. All three projects experienced delays of at least a year."

I know it's no laughing matter (people's livelihoods and investors' money at stake), but I couldn't repress an inward guffaw -- at some point in the future Carillion will be wishing dearly for only a year's delay.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:06 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
"Mr Bland of JP Morgan said contracts that have hurt Carillion include a hospital in Liverpool, a bypass in Aberdeen and a tramway in Sheffield. All three projects experienced delays of at least a year."

I know it's no laughing matter (people's livelihoods and investors' money at stake), but I couldn't repress an inward guffaw -- at some point in the future Carillion will be wishing dearly for only a year's delay.
Except Carillion aren't working on Hinkley...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.