Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Not the end of the world

Not the end of the world

Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not the end of the world

I occasionally browse the Guardian website, to cancel out my equally shameful scroll through the Daily Mail, and saw this article today

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ultimate-folly

The World project is all restarting in earnest it seems

Anyone know anything more about this?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Not the end of the world

I read something a while ago and it said when the really silly projects get announced, the crash comes just after.

Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:40 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the halcyon days of 2006/7 with Falcon Cities of Wonder and candle-shaped skyscrapers rising from the creek seem to be coming back.

One comment stuck out. Is it harsh?

I first went to Dubai in 1975, before the madness took off. Then it was interesting, dusty and hot. I since, unfortunately, have been back many times, but more fortunately, only ever in transit, and I loathe it.

The place has come to represent everything that is wrong in the world. Naked greed, corruption on a massive scale - read Misha Glenny's McMafia for an understanding of the role Dubai plays in global gangsterism - squandering of resources on a global scale, pushing a totally unsustainable, massively resource intensive lifestyle that sees the squandering of nations' wealth by the kleptocrats & oligarchs who spend their time there while whole swathes of the people of these same nations often live in abject poverty and squalor, along with a display of naked wealth and bling that even Donald Trump must envy, hypocrisy that is staggering, with pious demands for "correct" behaviour and harsh punishments for breaching this, while bars and clubs sell alcohol by the barrel load and are packed wall to wall with Chinese & Russian prostitutes, along with rich Gulf patrons from Dubai, Saudi, Pakistan, etc., not to mention the hordes of Westerners who want to live the same totally hedonistic, but ultimately empty lives, based on exploitation of cheap South & East Asian labour and a wealth generated from oil - one of the primary factors behind global warming. The place is worse than an embarrassment. It is shameful.

And this suppurating pustule of a country is right next door to the so pious guardian of Islamic morals, yet not once do I recall reading of an al Quaida, IS or any other fundamentalist attack on the place. And why? Because woven into the fabric of its corruption is also the small fact that Dubai is one of the major global conduits for funding to these very same groups that should despise everything the place stands for. And they are not going to kill the golden goose now, are they. If there are any benefit in global warming, it is that this obscenity will disappear under the rising waters.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I read something a while ago and it said when the really silly projects get announced, the crash comes just after.

Lindsey Lohan is involved
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Yep, the halcyon days of 2006/7 with Falcon Cities of Wonder and candle-shaped skyscrapers rising from the creek seem to be coming back.

One comment stuck out. Is it harsh?
Yeah, heard the same story a million times. It's true, it's accurate, and it's only .01% of the full story of Dubai. Unfortunately, it's the only part of Dubai some people want to hear about.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Internally my company are recruiting for UAE and Qatar right now, wonder what's going on with that? Either:
  • They actually have work
  • Another contractor is about to get kicked out of some project and we are gearing up.
  • Another contractor is about to leave some project (due to non payment!) and we are gearing up.
  • HR have a fiendish plan to bring people there but then release them when no work materialises.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:11 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yeah, heard the same story a million times. It's true, it's accurate, and it's only .01% of the full story of Dubai. Unfortunately, it's the only part of Dubai some people want to hear about.
Oh, it's definitely one-sided. That can't be denied.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, it's definitely one-sided. That can't be denied.
1 sided isn't necessarily wrong, if it is trying to convey a fact that gets relegated to a back-burner or is just ignored. It's like expecting all criticism of Israeli policies to include mention of the scientific advances Israel makes, just so that the critic appears to be balanced. People don't usually follow up criticism of the ante bellum American South by pointing out how delightful the parties and lifestyle of the plantation owners were and how effective they were at economic output.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I know one of the guys who is working on that Island that will snow. Well they did some tests before Christmas (Sept/Oct if I recall) and yes, they did indeed get an inch of "snow", dunno how long it lasted mind you.

So that one, that Kliendenst (sp) are doing is defo going ahead.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the "squandering of resources on a global scale".

I mean, those seals in their chilled pools down at the Kids Zoo isn't squandering on a global scale. It's pretty small scale squandering. I'm sure the penguins in MOE would also disagree.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I know one of the guys who is working on that Island that will snow. Well they did some tests before Christmas (Sept/Oct if I recall) and yes, they did indeed get an inch of "snow", dunno how long it lasted mind you.

So that one, that Kliendenst (sp) are doing is defo going ahead.
your mate in the pub, who also knows the inside track of the health of the royal family.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:15 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I disagree with the "squandering of resources on a global scale".

I mean, those seals in their chilled pools down at the Kids Zoo isn't squandering on a global scale. It's pretty small scale squandering. I'm sure the penguins in MOE would also disagree.
That's twice I've heard about penguins. Do they really have some there now?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's twice I've heard about penguins. Do they really have some there now?
yup. I've petted them.

The seals are worse in my opinion.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's written as if it's the only place on earth with any forms of corruption or greed. Bizarre rant even if accurate.

your mate in the pub, who also knows the inside track of the health of the royal family.
It's about time we had another rumour. When's the next religious holiday?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:33 am
Excess Baggage

yup. I've petted them.

The seals are worse in my opinion.
Have you blown a seal?

Nah, I was eating an ice-cream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.