British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/newbies-introduce-yourselves-me-crowd-559659/)

TGFKASE Jun 13th 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7661593)
My husband and i came here from Foggieloan!!! Used to be Huntly but been in Foggie for the past 16years.

Aye, aye... Used tae play at the New Inn in Foggie every Ne'ers Day nicht, having done Hogmanay at the Bognie Arms at Forgue....

aberdeensiregirl Jun 13th 2009 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7661800)
Aye, aye... Used tae play at the New Inn in Foggie every Ne'ers Day nicht, having done Hogmanay at the Bognie Arms at Forgue....

Bognie closed now and New Inn under new ownership. We usually went to commercial which is also under new ownership and serving super meals. What did you play?

sassypilotswife Jun 13th 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Taz Mirza (Post 7648639)
Can you actually find a Cortina to buy in this day and age? I prefer a the Ford Zephyr myself.

Karmas where you go for the handbags right? Some guy called Bernard told me this in the queue at Spinney's the other night.

You mean you actually had to stand in queue at Spinney's ? Well hell, nevermind then. I hear Paris is in town, perhaps you can be her new BFF :)

sassypilotswife Jun 13th 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7661824)
Bognie closed now and New Inn under new ownership. We usually went to commercial which is also under new ownership and serving super meals. What did you play?

Hello Aberdeen.. Welcome to Al Ain and this forum. Yes there is a Living in Al Ain thread where you can gather useful information. I too live in the same part of Zakhar and would be more than happy to pick you up and take you to lunch sometime or we can skip the formalities and go straight into shopping :) What kind of work is hubby doing here ? Feel free to PM me :)

aberdeensiregirl Jun 14th 2009 4:56 am

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife (Post 7661912)
Hello Aberdeen.. Welcome to Al Ain and this forum. Yes there is a Living in Al Ain thread where you can gather useful information. I too live in the same part of Zakhar and would be more than happy to pick you up and take you to lunch sometime or we can skip the formalities and go straight into shopping :) What kind of work is hubby doing here ? Feel free to PM me :)

Thank you for that really kind offer. i have sent you a PM. Hubby working for scottish company just set up here

TGFKASE Jun 17th 2009 6:25 am

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7661824)

2 turntables.....:p

aberdeensiregirl Jun 17th 2009 10:42 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7671943)
2 turntables.....:p

okay smart alex - would you know syd halkett and his dj's or willie bremner at all.

TGFKASE Jun 18th 2009 3:45 am

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl (Post 7672439)
okay smart alex - would you know syd halkett and his dj's or willie bremner at all.

Ken the name halkett but nivver met him, I worked for a co. in the toon...... Any gig outside a 10 mile radius o' Aiberdeen, they gave tae me, since I was the only teuchter and therefore the only lad that kint far a' these strange-named placies were.....

aberdeensiregirl Jun 18th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7675252)
Ken the name halkett but nivver met him, I worked for a co. in the toon...... Any gig outside a 10 mile radius o' Aiberdeen, they gave tae me, since I was the only teuchter and therefore the only lad that kint far a' these strange-named placies were.....

try this link foggieloan.co.uk

AVillain Jun 18th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6752053)
Just thought it would be nice for newbies to go introduce yourselves to folks here before diving in and asking questions, especially if you've not taken the time to check out the wiki or had a quick search for those common questions, spending a bit of time doing that goes a long way into getting help from folks without the shirty comments, it's the least you can do if you expect people to answer everything for you :)

So where are you from?
Got any kids?
Hobbies?
Whatever else :)

Oh and don't forget, different time zones and the weekend isn't Sat/Sun, so don't get shirty if you don't get a reply straight away :)

Hi all,

Have been a viewer for the past coupple of weeks so as I have nothing better to do at work this afternoon thought I should join and say hello.

Have been in Dubai since 18th April this year, so I am very wet between the ears but am really enjoying the lifestyle so far, didn't know what to expect so came with an open mind...the only thing that annoys me so far is the taxi drivers, but my visa is due any day so going to get my driving licence asap after that!

Come from Gloucestershire originally and this is my first time working abroad so all a big adventure at the moment.

Will try not to ask any stupid questions that have been posted a million times, but no promises of course.

Roadking Jun 18th 2009 9:55 am

Originally Posted by AVillain (Post 7676014)
Hi all,

Have been a viewer for the past coupple of weeks so as I have nothing better to do at work this afternoon thought I should join and say hello.

Have been in Dubai since 18th April this year, so I am very wet between the ears but am really enjoying the lifestyle so far, didn't know what to expect so came with an open mind...the only thing that annoys me so far is the taxi drivers, but my visa is due any day so going to get my driving licence asap after that!

Come from Gloucestershire originally and this is my first time working abroad so all a big adventure at the moment.

Will try not to ask any stupid questions that have been posted a million times, but no promises of course.

Hi AV, welcome to the bored.

Please feel free to ask stupid questions that have been asked a thousand times before, it gives us someone to pick on. Then again, as you're from Gloucestersestersestershire, we don't need any other reason.:p

954RR Jun 18th 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by AVillain (Post 7676014)

Welcome to Dubai AVillain. The paperwork is a drag which I am nearly through so stick with it.
Good to see another English person on here as I was starting to think it was a Scottish site ! :sneaky:

AVillain Jun 18th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7676031)
Hi AV, welcome to the bored.

Please feel free to ask stupid questions that have been asked a thousand times before, it gives us someone to pick on. Then again, as you're from Gloucestersestersestershire, we don't need any other reason.:p

Well I was going to say that I am a ladies man, good looking, great fun, BMW (M3 I recall) and all that drizzle, but felt you had sufficient ammo to pick on me being from God's County!

Cheers - look forward to spending a day being roasted

AVillain Jun 18th 2009 10:05 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7676045)
Welcome to Dubai AVillain. The paperwork is a drag which I am nearly through so stick with it.
Good to see another English person on here as I was starting to think it was a Scottish site ! :sneaky:

I hadn't noticed that, the Scots get everywhere don't they, I have never met a Scot that doesn't have a great sense of humour before though, so should be good for a laugh!

Paperwork is a bit of a nightmare, and how many photo's have I had to provide! Alcohol licence is next on the list

MataHari Jun 18th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AVillain (Post 7676062)
I hadn't noticed that, the Scots get everywhere don't they, I have never met a Scot that doesn't have a great sense of humour before though, so should be good for a laugh!

oh please stick around...there's a few on here that don't...