Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Apr 11th 2017, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

CertaCeto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

BTW i left when centurion was a rank..........
Old Apr 11th 2017, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Chris951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CertaCeto
Wondered how long that would take and nice use of the word Scalie and recognising a bit of obscure Latin generally takes-one-to know-one
I'll private message you to continue this discussion!
Old Jul 6th 2017, 4:09 am
Just Joined

LatheDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. Brand New to BE. Left London for Australia 14 years ago and now negotiating over a move to Oman with a view to moving around Sept/Oct. My other half is Korean and we do not yet have kids.

Have absolutely no idea about life in ME however have read through many threads and the overwhelming sentiment seems to be that Oman/Muscat is a lovely place to live.

I have a million questions, however I shall search through the threads to see if they have been covered already.

Cheers
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

suzanne NICOL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LatheDaddy
Hi there. Brand New to BE. Left London for Australia 14 years ago and now negotiating over a move to Oman with a view to moving around Sept/Oct. My other half is Korean and we do not yet have kids.

Have absolutely no idea about life in ME however have read through many threads and the overwhelming sentiment seems to be that Oman/Muscat is a lovely place to live.

I have a million questions, however I shall search through the threads to see if they have been covered already.

Cheers
For the last 3 years I've split my time between muscat and the uk but shortly going to be moving to Qatar
Oman is indeed a great place to be and have loved our time here.
Now that our children are independent I'm going to stay with my husband in Doha and hopefully get a job as a midwife
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:36 am
Just Joined

LatheDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzanne NICOL
For the last 3 years I've split my time between muscat and the uk but shortly going to be moving to Qatar
Oman is indeed a great place to be and have loved our time here.
Now that our children are independent I'm going to stay with my husband in Doha and hopefully get a job as a midwife
Thanks for the note, we don't have kids yet but hoping it won't be too long, feeling very excited about the move although the heat does worry me a little!! I think moving during winter might be a smart move
Old Jan 12th 2018, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Dabbler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
I'm new to the site but and old Abu Dhabi expat. I've been here since 2004 with family (wife and two children).

My children are now back in the UK at boarding school, so just my wife and me.

We are in the process of trying to downsize from a villa to something smaller and perhaps move nearer town (MBZ at the moment).

I am currently out of work and if things don't work out I'll have to up sticks to wherever else.

I'm enjoying looking at old and recent posts for advice.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:47 am
Just Joined

mkairinos is an unknown quantity at this point

New to Dubai,

25 from Newcastle, male, wanted a new challenge.

Work in Banking and Finance, love playing golf and football.

Love trying new things and going to different bars and restaurants.

Give me a shout if you're in a similar situation and we will sort something out
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Back for my second time on this site. Originally posted under RyanC when i moved to Doha in 2012. Now heading to Dubai in 2019
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

funkchops is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi All!

From the City of Walkers, Gary Lineker and dead, humpbacked Kings! New in Al Khobar.
Pretty good at pub quizzes!!

Any info on running/hiking clubs would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 5:36 am
Just Joined

tonymahony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
I'm Ant, Tony or just plain Antony... I'm in Riyadh working on a couple of construction projects (don't blame me for the chaos on Riyadh's roads!) and will be here for 2 yrs at least.
I love pub quizzes but being in Riyadh it's a wasted talent Whilst I'm here I'd like to meet up with some like minded people, get out and explore the city and the surrounding landscape. Trips to the pub would be nice too where ever it is! Shrewsbury is my home town and one of my hobbies was walking my local Shropshire hills and Welsh mountains. Also I was a keen MAMIL (middle aged man in lycra) so if any one out there knows of any cycling clubs in Riyadh please hit me up.

Antony
Old Aug 19th 2019, 9:18 am
Just Joined

bobdavebarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi I've just moved to Qatar from London to work for a financial advisory firm. I'll save the shameless self promotion for later.

I'm terrible at pub quizzes and trying to hit the gym more than the pub nowadays. Especially considering its like 10 quid a pint out here!

Bit dry out here isn't... pun absolutely intended.

Last edited by bobdavebarry; Aug 19th 2019 at 9:21 am. Reason: improve post
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DosserInDubai
Im based in Dubai... Been living in International City but off to the marina for a couple of months tomorrow.

Working for Bond Communications on doing technical sales on Number Plate Recognition (sounds fun eh?!), car park security and people access (or turnstiles to you and me!)

Yes i am young... fresh out of uni... perfect time to start an adventure like this!!!

and no.. won't be scared of that easily!
So your the tosserindubia that sold number plate recognition to the saudis, they are now holding up my whole civils project to think about installing it. leave them alone they like camels!
Old Sep 18th 2019, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonymahony
Hello everyone,
I'm Ant, Tony or just plain Antony... I'm in Riyadh working on a couple of construction projects (don't blame me for the chaos on Riyadh's roads!) and will be here for 2 yrs at least.
I love pub quizzes but being in Riyadh it's a wasted talent Whilst I'm here I'd like to meet up with some like minded people, get out and explore the city and the surrounding landscape. Trips to the pub would be nice too where ever it is! Shrewsbury is my home town and one of my hobbies was walking my local Shropshire hills and Welsh mountains. Also I was a keen MAMIL (middle aged man in lycra) so if any one out there knows of any cycling clubs in Riyadh please hit me up.

Antony
Riyadh wheeler are the local organ donors. Karaoke at the RV on friday night
Old Oct 5th 2019, 12:15 am
Just Joined

jmtomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi there, any advice, married couple and two boys, hubby is a teacher, I'm an Occupational Therapist and have been offered a position in Abu Dhabi, we currently live in wellington nz, originally from north east of England, just spent 7 years in Adelaide and come back to NZ.
my offer comes with 25,000 per month, 8500 accommodation, health insurance and 20 days annual leave,

our boys are school aged so our biggest concern is needing to have financial assistance with education fees, we are hoping that if/ when my husband has a job offer this will be included,

our research has indicated the cost of living very high, is this the case, would we be able to save without being complete frugal nomads, my husband is of celtic decent so frugal at the best of times!!
don't want to sound greedy..but the main motivator is to come to UAE to save some money to put towards our oldest university fees/ and pay off some of our mortgage, both of those will never be achieved on our NZ income streams.
the other motivator is to be closer to UK to be more connected with family, and get back to see them more regularly, here a round trip costs us around $15000 nzd

I'm concerned that I'm moving the kids to a furnace where they're activities will be restricted.
advice from families will be greatly appreciated

rental accommodation options/ average cost: one of the cities we have been advised is the sports city Zayed,
boys are soccer mad/ husband coaches
we like gym and pools
mountain biking
movies
water parks

cost of groceries
car
furnished or unfurnished/ cost of shipping is phenomenal and been stung by that 3 times over
family activities
sports fees
cheers
Jo

Old Oct 8th 2019, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

ZeeJay is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from London, a finance professional based in Doha and researching about how boring life can get in Doha brought me to this forum. I am very happy to have found people who share the same experience of boredom in Doha like I have experienced in the last 2 years I have spent here. Looking forward to read more about it to finally leave this place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.