Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Dec 30th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

scaleyback is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hi.

Not too sure about being any help in a pub quiz, almost forgotten what a pub is :-D

Thankfully the 28 day visa runs help on that score

Nige
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Aecetia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all

I just moved to dubai a couple weeks ago, and still getting used to being here. Weekends are probably the hardest part, still haven't found favorite places, or discovered things to do.

Any tips on how to get through the first couple of months? :-)
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aecetia
Take up any invitations from people you come in contact with. Put yourself out there and eventually you'll meet up with or make a circle of friends. It takes a while and some effort but eventually you'll have some great fun friends
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aecetia
Hey all

I just moved to dubai a couple weeks ago, and still getting used to being here. Weekends are probably the hardest part, still haven't found favorite places, or discovered things to do.

come over for a coffee.

try meetup.com - lots of groups of people doing stuff.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Brown Dawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Asalaam aleekum. Brown Dawn here from Ireland; first time on here. Trying for a job in ME/Gulf countries. News of price per barrel makes me wary of the kingdom. Have 40 years experience of civil, PM etc with five-six years in KSA. What are things like there at the mo? Used be very handy at pub quizzes esp general knowledge but not great on sports!!
Thanks in advance for any info
BD
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brown Dawn
Asalaam aleekum. Brown Dawn here from Ireland; first time on here. Trying for a job in ME/Gulf countries. News of price per barrel makes me wary of the kingdom. Have 40 years experience of civil, PM etc with five-six years in KSA. What are things like there at the mo? Used be very handy at pub quizzes esp general knowledge but not great on sports!!
Thanks in advance for any info
BD
If you have 40 years of experience, then your chances of getting employment in the Gulf are somewhat anorexic. You're too old....
Old Jan 26th 2016, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings,

Name is Charl and currently in Jeddah, been here since December 2015, so a very "newbie"
My Previous job posting was in Nigeria, and it is my first time in Middle East.
Hope to meet up with some people in Jeddah, my family is at home so single life for me for a while at least.

PS Did I mention I am dying for a cold beer.

Cheers.
Charl
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:08 pm
Derbyshire

ChesterfieldLynne is an unknown quantity at this point

New to British Expats for year 2016. I have been here before, many years ago - but can't remember who I was! Put it down to old age.
Mostly in UK now but have guest accommodation in Kerala, so my head spends most days in India.
Any snippets of information about India are of interest to me.
Regards, Lynne
Old Feb 6th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all... I just joined to get some general info on living in Dubai. I'll be living and working long term, and I'm at the pay package stage with HR so hope I'll be out there by the end of Feb. I've read the stickies about living out there and want to say thanks for the great info. Hope to get know a few of you through the forum and see if there's life in the sand pit.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Panditsfromabz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All, Just joined the forum and so far found some really good information. Looking to move to UAE with a job offer in Sharjah. But living in Sharjah seems not feasible for various reasons so looking to explore ideas about alternative options here. Cheers...am I allowed to say that?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panditsfromabz
Hello All, Just joined the forum and so far found some really good information. Looking to move to UAE with a job offer in Sharjah. But living in Sharjah seems not feasible for various reasons so looking to explore ideas about alternative options here. Cheers...am I allowed to say that?
Out of curiosity why is living in Sharjah not feasible? Do you have a heavy alcohol dependency?

I wouldn't choose to live there but wondering why it isn't any kind of option. Mirdif or Warqa are close to the Sharjah-Dubai border, as is Deira.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Out of curiosity why is living in Sharjah not feasible? Do you have a heavy alcohol dependency?

I wouldn't choose to live there but wondering why it isn't any kind of option. Mirdif or Warqa are close to the Sharjah-Dubai border, as is Deira.
Yeah I brush my teeth with JD and take my pills with vodka

Thanks for the suggestions in Dubai, they all seems to be close to E311. Mirdif, however has an issue being on the 'flight path', what is the flight path? Any particular streets or area to avoid?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions in Dubai, they all seems to be close to E311.
Whats wrong with the 311? If working in Sharjah you will be heading in the right direction and you'll see that it's a car park at peaks times on the other side. Have you considered further North in Ajman or Umm Al Quain, a lot more bang for your buck there.
Mirdif, however has an issue being on the 'flight path', what is the flight path?
Seriously? You are joking aren't you? Think Heathrow without night flight embargo.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
Whats wrong with the 311? If working in Sharjah you will be heading in the right direction and you'll see that it's a car park at peaks times on the other side. Have you considered further North in Ajman or Umm Al Quain, a lot more bang for your buck there.
I actually meant it in a positive way, I need to be close to 311 to commute to Sharjah on a daily basis. I read in one of the threads some guys were arguing if Ajman is shi*, shi**ier or shi**iest place in UAE!

Originally Posted by mikewot
Seriously? You are joking aren't you? Think Heathrow without night flight embargo.
This is worrying! As we have a 2 year old child, who doesn't sleep much at night anyway!!
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Tandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am moving to Riyadh shortly to start my new adventure and hopefully a safe one.... Now just waiting for my passport to be returned after getting an offer in last July and then I will be off. I have been following this forum for awhile and it has been a god send in terms of information given / provided.

I would definitely want to be involved with this forum once over there to share whatever knowledge I have on anyone making a similar transition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.