Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

wrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nice
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

OK time for my introduction.

My name is Bryn and I have been living in Riyadh for 3 months. I am from Australia but more recently London and Harrogate.

I work in fashion retail at the moment and I'm really very, very good at pub quizzes. So who's flying me to Dubai?

Wife and daughter on the way at the end of the month.....inshallah.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Yeah Baby! Yeah!

Granderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez, not one hello, but more importantly not one hand gone up for a pint on the tenth.

Well, on the tenth there will be a red headed bloke in Abu Dhabi heroes/pirates/Sheraton pub(name forgotten already) - your challenge is to find him!!!!

Rene Descartes - 'I drink, therefore I am'
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:38 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I think its the mention of 'Aberdeen' that makes people cautious.........
Not everyone wants a night out paying for someone else's drinks or standing with their back to the wall all nite for that matter..................
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:53 pm
Yeah Baby! Yeah!

Originally Posted by Eva
I think its the mention of 'Aberdeen' that makes people cautious.........
Not everyone wants a night out paying for someone else's drinks or standing with their back to the wall all nite for that matter..................
Ooooh Eva, that's harsh!!! Funny thing is I've never met anyone who won't swear the Scotsman/woman is the most generous in the bar and will sell the shirt off his/her back to buy the next pint.

Sounds really altruistic but I put it down to alcoholism personally.

Anyway, there (really) is a big difference between Aberdeen (copper-wire-from-a-penny and 50p-with-a-spanner jokes aside) and Aberdeenshire.

Your comments indicate more about your childhood than mine I think ....
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:55 pm
Yeah Baby! Yeah!

Originally Posted by wrxqme
OK time for my introduction.

My name is Bryn and I have been living in Riyadh for 3 months. I am from Australia but more recently London and Harrogate.

I work in fashion retail at the moment and I'm really very, very good at pub quizzes. So who's flying me to Dubai?

Wife and daughter on the way at the end of the month.....inshallah.
So, how is the bin bag business?

Hmm, don't know if that overstepped the mark or even if anyone will get it ...
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Granderson
Ooooh Eva, that's harsh!!! Funny thing is I've never met anyone who won't swear the Scotsman/woman is the most generous in the bar and will sell the shirt off his/her back to buy the next pint.

Sounds really altruistic but I put it down to alcoholism personally.

Anyway, there (really) is a big difference between Aberdeen (copper-wire-from-a-penny and 50p-with-a-spanner jokes aside) and Aberdeenshire.

Your comments indicate more about your childhood than mine I think ....
I don't know anything about your childhood but I'll let ya know when I am over mine.Being a guy however you'll never be outta yours.

Just trying to make you feel welcome since no one picked up on your initial post.It was Ramadan.........
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:16 pm
Yeah Baby! Yeah!

Originally Posted by Eva
I don't know anything about your childhood but I'll let ya know when I am over mine.Being a guy however you'll never be outta yours.

Just trying to make you feel welcome since no one picked up on your initial post.It was Ramadan.........
Mufi mushkala (or similar)!

Good point - Ramadan, which makes the locals difficult to get hold of or do business with ... followed by Eid - a holiday which brings business from dead slow to stop for a week. I know I'm moaning but it's damned frustrating when your boss doesn't understand they go as slow now as we do over Christmas.

What do expats do during this slow down - take holidays and escape or ...?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Granderson
So, how is the bin bag business?

Hmm, don't know if that overstepped the mark or even if anyone will get it ...

Hmmm.....how to win friends and influence people.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:22 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Granderson;6840176]Mufi mushkala (or similar)!

Good point - Ramadan, which makes the locals difficult to get hold of or do business with ... followed by Eid - a holiday which brings business from dead slow to stop for a week. I know I'm moaning but it's damned frustrating when your boss doesn't understand they go as slow now as we do over Christmas.

What do expats do during this slow down - take holidays and escape or ...?

Same same no?

Some arrive in Ruwais -think its the Empty Quarter save for Jebel Danat
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

wrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nicewrxqme is just really nice

Don't know about the bin bag business....it's not my department. However what they wear UNDER the big bag is going really well.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Manchester Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Hey

My name is Damian and i'm a 41yr old single guy just arrived in Abu Dhabi (well couple of weeks ago!). Currently staying at the Sheraton Khalidya adn from Manchester UK.

The UK (construction) consultancy I have come out here to work for seem to have left me high and dry: my colleagues don't speak and I haven't been given the slightest bit of info on Abu Dhabi or living out here in teh UAE: which is not fun given that this is my first time in teh Middle East. Fortunately I have a pal from home living in Dubai who has filled me in on a lot of stuff, but given that my colleagues seem a darn unfriendly bunch, I sorta need to meet some people if I want to get out of my hotel room! I came across your site and it seemed like a good place to start.

I'm not really a big drinker, but don't mind a social drink. I do like the odd cultural event and I hear Abu Dhabi has galleries and Classical Concerts and Opera: but I also like stuff younger folks enjoy too.

I am also seeking some info on Khalifa. My housing allowance wouldn't get anything other than a hovel in Abu Dhabi, but I have seen a new 1 bed villa conversion for 125,000 in Khalifa A. In Abu Dhabi this would be a great rent, but I do not know what constitutes a typical rent in Khalifa. Ideallly I am looking for a 2 bed flat under about 165,000.

Thanks for reading, hope to chat to you sometime!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manchester Guy
Hey

My name is Damian and i'm a 41yr old single guy just arrived in Abu Dhabi (well couple of weeks ago!). Currently staying at the Sheraton Khalidya adn from Manchester UK.

The UK (construction) consultancy I have come out here to work for seem to have left me high and dry: my colleagues don't speak and I haven't been given the slightest bit of info on Abu Dhabi or living out here in teh UAE: which is not fun given that this is my first time in teh Middle East. Fortunately I have a pal from home living in Dubai who has filled me in on a lot of stuff, but given that my colleagues seem a darn unfriendly bunch, I sorta need to meet some people if I want to get out of my hotel room! I came across your site and it seemed like a good place to start.

I'm not really a big drinker, but don't mind a social drink. I do like the odd cultural event and I hear Abu Dhabi has galleries and Classical Concerts and Opera: but I also like stuff younger folks enjoy too.

I am also seeking some info on Khalifa. My housing allowance wouldn't get anything other than a hovel in Abu Dhabi, but I have seen a new 1 bed villa conversion for 125,000 in Khalifa A. In Abu Dhabi this would be a great rent, but I do not know what constitutes a typical rent in Khalifa. Ideallly I am looking for a 2 bed flat under about 165,000.

Thanks for reading, hope to chat to you sometime!
hi manchester guy...welcome to the site...don't worry, i'm sure it will get better, at least it's not raining in AD, lol...

MM, xx
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:41 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

stop it...

Last edited by Autonomy; Oct 4th 2008 at 8:16 am. Reason: Conf's quote removed
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
stop it...
I want to know what car he drives...
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I want to know what car he drives...
he's from manchester, it'll have been nicked...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.