new speed limits

Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new speed limits

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Both rhetorical questions, yes?

250 fatalities and 850 serious injuries per year is the current run rate on Qatar's road network
Given that I drive about 30km each way 6 days a week along Salwa Road those numbers seem stunningly low.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Both rhetorical questions, yes?

250 fatalities and 850 serious injuries per year is the current run rate on Qatar's road network
Would obviously help.

I think what would help more would be far stricter licensing and testing. Not just accepting another country's test as good enough but enforcing their own, harder tests. Suitable to conditions perhaps, with education around unusual conditions like fog / rain etc.

Dunno, just feel like a lot of the road safety things in this region are not quite as effective as other measures and not quite a full swing for the fences.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

One thing I've definitely noticed in Dubai is the disparity in driving skill amongst drivers. I've seen some downright shocking driving on the roads here compared to UK...
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
One thing I've definitely noticed in Dubai is the disparity in driving skill amongst drivers. I've seen some downright shocking driving on the roads here compared to UK...
That's because you're not in the UK. Don't let the veneer trick you otherwise.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Would obviously help.

I think what would help more would be far stricter licensing and testing. Not just accepting another country's test as good enough but enforcing their own, harder tests. Suitable to conditions perhaps, with education around unusual conditions like fog / rain etc.

Dunno, just feel like a lot of the road safety things in this region are not quite as effective as other measures and not quite a full swing for the fences.
Loads of data to show that seat belts increased the number of accidents but obviously reduced injuries in less serious accidents. Overall deaths not hugely changed in more serious accidents (which also increased as people drive faster when comforted by a belt).

Thus, I conclude that the best way to reduce road accidents is to remove seat belts and put a huge sharp spike on the steering wheel pointing at the driver's chest. People would soon learn to drive sensibly and there would be less accidents and therefore accident related deaths.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Thus, I conclude that the best way to reduce road accidents is to remove seat belts and put a huge sharp spike on the steering wheel pointing at the driver's chest. People would soon learn to drive sensibly and there would be less accidents and therefore accident related deaths.
You should read Terry Pratchett. You remind me of Vetinari.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Its been super bad recently (since the schools came back and traffic dramatically increased.... frustration from everyone else). Nearly been taken out several times. The quality when you get in and about Dubai is significantly better than out and about in the other Emirates.

Yesterday coming home from site along the E89 (Dhaid Road) at about 5pm and i'm doing about 125 odd, the second lane is jammed with crawling trucks and some bellend decided to pull out from behind the queue..... mega application of anchors and much swearing. Knob.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Increasing or decreasing the speed limit is not going to affect the standard of driving here one iota, it is atrocious and always will be, and now you can have 100% tinting everyone will be hiding behind their collective blackout curtains!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What to do though?

Lower yourself to the standards?
Get angry every 30secs you're driving?
Try to let it all go? (Anyone who can do this permanently is either oblivious or lying)

I regularly scream in my car at ****wits.

The main thing I get close to really losing my shit over is people texting / on a phonecall. I generally beep the horn and call them a **** and get a passenger to take a photo to shit them up.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scamp
What to do though?

Lower yourself to the standards?
Get angry every 30secs you're driving?
Try to let it all go? (Anyone who can do this permanently is either oblivious or lying)

I regularly scream in my car at ****wits.

The main thing I get close to really losing my shit over is people texting / on a phonecall. I generally beep the horn and call them a **** and get a passenger to take a photo to shit them up.
Nah, I try to keep up the British standards! Looks like even indicating when changing lanes puts you in the top 10% of drivers...

I rarely get angry when driving because it almost feels like 'they win' if I lose my **** and they don't.

Unfortunately it's one of those things I've accepted since moving here although I think they should put in place way more stringent licensing to hopefully weed out the worst offenders.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I try to keep up the British standards! Looks like even indicating when changing lanes puts you in the top 10% of drivers...

I rarely get angry when driving because it almost feels like 'they win' if I lose my **** and they don't.

Unfortunately it's one of those things I've accepted since moving here although I think they should put in place way more stringent licensing to hopefully weed out the worst offenders.
Weed out the worst offenders and the roads would be empty!!!