Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

nearly there... and how do i post to the wiki?

nearly there... and how do i post to the wiki?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:33 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default nearly there... and how do i post to the wiki?

hello all,

just thought i'd share some good/bad (take your pick) news that the Saudi embassy has finally issued my visa and will be heading to Riyadh in late November (inshallah).

so, thought i would try and be a good member and post some tips up on the wiki under Saudi Arabia - Immigration... (contact details of visa agents, paperwork required, that sort of thing) and wanted to know;
- should i?
- who do i post the submissions too?

cheers,

still.unsure
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nearly there... and how do i post to the wiki?

Congratulations on the Visa, well done. It can be a nightmare dealing with the Saudi Embassy, I know from experience!

Not sure you should contact re the wiki article as I've never tried it, perhaps one of the mods?

Let us know when you arrive, there's one or two other memebers there in Riyadh. Where will be you living - any ideas yet?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:17 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Congratulations on the Visa, well done. It can be a nightmare dealing with the Saudi Embassy, I know from experience!

Not sure you should contact re the wiki article as I've never tried it, perhaps one of the mods?

Let us know when you arrive, there's one or two other memebers there in Riyadh. Where will be you living - any ideas yet?
not sure where i'll be living just yet. the co. will put me up in a hotel for about a month while i sort something out, but apparently they've got an inside track on arabian homes (?) so we'll see. am on my lonesome so hopefully finding a one-bedder will be easier than a villa. (here's hoping!)

the embassy bit has been a real doozey, originally started by application through london (where i am at present) but because i'm a foreign national, had to send it back to my country of origin to process it. here's the twist, though the embassy's are for the same country (Saudi), you'd think that they work the same no matter which country they're in... wrong! different processes depending on which country the embassy is in!

so, have a pretty good grasp on the expression inshallah now and (with all respect intended) it seems to have been (almost) entirely at god's will as to whether or not they stamped my passport!

(btw, what's jeddah like? is it the close enough to riyadh to take a weekend and learn to/go scuba diving?)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

wiki is open for any members to post in...

easiest way, hit the edit button on another article if there isn't one already started and paste that into a new page and replace the text with what you want...

edit: set up a basic template for you.

[[Category:Middle Eastern Immigration]]

Paste that above into the page you want to create, by clicking one of the links - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:KSA_Immigration
Or edit that page to change the headings to whatever you need.

Last edited by Bob; Oct 28th 2008 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
not sure where i'll be living just yet. the co. will put me up in a hotel for about a month while i sort something out, but apparently they've got an inside track on arabian homes (?) so we'll see. am on my lonesome so hopefully finding a one-bedder will be easier than a villa. (here's hoping!)

the embassy bit has been a real doozey, originally started by application through london (where i am at present) but because i'm a foreign national, had to send it back to my country of origin to process it. here's the twist, though the embassy's are for the same country (Saudi), you'd think that they work the same no matter which country they're in... wrong! different processes depending on which country the embassy is in!

so, have a pretty good grasp on the expression inshallah now and (with all respect intended) it seems to have been (almost) entirely at god's will as to whether or not they stamped my passport!

(btw, what's jeddah like? is it the close enough to riyadh to take a weekend and learn to/go scuba diving?)
The Arabian Homes compound in RIyadh is quite nice - kind of downtown,close to two biggish malls and pretty close to the City Centre, but quiet enough to be cosy. I'm in an AH compound here in Jeddah, which resembles the Riyadh one.

There were one or two folk on my Riyadh compound that offered to teach Scuba Diving in a swimming pool. Otherwise, you'd have to get a flight, around 1.5hours from Riyadh, and varying in price ( and availablity ). Last time a friend flew out Riyadh - Jeddah return, it cost around 500 riyals - about £85? You can drive- I've done it a couple of times - but its at least eight hours, and 1000km's ( and only about £15 in petrol!! )

Once you get here though, they are quite a few dive schools dotted around all over Jeddah, I'm still getting around to sorting myself onto a course!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
The Arabian Homes compound in RIyadh is quite nice - kind of downtown,close to two biggish malls and pretty close to the City Centre, but quiet enough to be cosy. I'm in an AH compound here in Jeddah, which resembles the Riyadh one.

There were one or two folk on my Riyadh compound that offered to teach Scuba Diving in a swimming pool. Otherwise, you'd have to get a flight, around 1.5hours from Riyadh, and varying in price ( and availablity ). Last time a friend flew out Riyadh - Jeddah return, it cost around 500 riyals - about £85? You can drive- I've done it a couple of times - but its at least eight hours, and 1000km's ( and only about £15 in petrol!! )

Once you get here though, they are quite a few dive schools dotted around all over Jeddah, I'm still getting around to sorting myself onto a course!
ok, sounds good and worth a visit. let me know if you start a course and have any recommendations.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:01 am

right! got the magic stamp and passport back on the weekend, visa sorted!

now what?

hopefully will be in Riyadh by the end of the month

(by the way, have put up a couple of references on the wiki, please feel free to change/remove/laugh)