Must haves or wants

Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Must haves or wants

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
That much dosh for something to put your manky smelly sweaty gear in???
It's a lot of cash for a plain bag isn't it...
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's a lot of cash for a plain bag isn't it...
It's all about the tags on the bag. That's by far the most valuable part You want the whole world to know how much you paid for it.

And then there's a subset of luxury goods you specifically buy so that only the select handful will know how much you paid for it
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:35 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's all about the tags on the bag. That's by far the most valuable part You want the whole world to know how much you paid for it.

And then there's a subset of luxury goods you specifically buy so that only the select handful will know how much you paid for it
I think you're confusing "you" with "a certain subset of tossers".
Old Oct 19th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I think you're confusing "you" with "a certain subset of tossers".
Yeah. Category 1 = Essex tossers

Category 2 = Chelsea tossers

At the end of the day they're all tossers
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah I get all that, it is the only reason 'brands' exist at all.

Each to their own. We're all guilty of it though.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a form of cultural signalling to the respective peers we want to associate with. We wouldn't be human if we didn't do it.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Just a form of cultural signalling to the respective peers we want to associate with. We wouldn't be human if we didn't do it.
...and for the peasants to know you're better than them.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I get all that, it is the only reason 'brands' exist at all...
As with many things, it's not as black and white as that.

Many brands prosper because they make products which are intrinsically good at doing what they're designed to do, and better than -- or sufficiently different from -- how well products from their competitors perform.

I don't own a Nikon (or a Leica, for the cognoscenti; or a Hasselblad for a certain class of pro), not because I can't afford one, but because my choice of camera suits most closely what I want to do with it.

I drive a BMW because the specific model ticks those boxes which are important to me (and impressing other BMW drivers isn't one of them).

And I wear Calvin Kleins, very sadly not to impress anyone who may see them, but merely because they're well made and comfortable.

Brands are good, selected objectively.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Wants.... G Wagen.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:55 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of us. I wear Churchs shoes and have my suits tailored in HK specifically because there are no labels on show. I know its top quality and if anyone else notices, they know what they're seeing the clothes and the man inside).

I honestly think that luxury brands have destroyed themselves in the Gulf and elsewhere as most of the big names have moved down to a more mass market and lost their exclusivity to an extent. This even applies to some car brands. Porsche, Bentley and Maserati should not have big SUVs under any circumstances as it goes against what they stand for.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Suits...another type of uniform?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
Suits...another type of uniform?
No a TV programme
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
As with many things, it's not as black and white as that.

Many brands prosper because they make products which are intrinsically good at doing what they're designed to do, and better than -- or sufficiently different from -- how well products from their competitors perform.

I don't own a Nikon (or a Leica, for the cognoscenti; or a Hasselblad for a certain class of pro), not because I can't afford one, but because my choice of camera suits most closely what I want to do with it.

I drive a BMW because the specific model ticks those boxes which are important to me (and impressing other BMW drivers isn't one of them).

And I wear Calvin Kleins, very sadly not to impress anyone who may see them, but merely because they're well made and comfortable.

Brands are good, selected objectively.
Originally Posted by TheShed
Not all of us. I wear Churchs shoes and have my suits tailored in HK specifically because there are no labels on show. I know its top quality and if anyone else notices, they know what they're seeing the clothes and the man inside).

I honestly think that luxury brands have destroyed themselves in the Gulf and elsewhere as most of the big names have moved down to a more mass market and lost their exclusivity to an extent. This even applies to some car brands. Porsche, Bentley and Maserati should not have big SUVs under any circumstances as it goes against what they stand for.
But, gentlemen, you're both buying things that are relatively expensive. Either through quality or just for branding. CKs aren't the best pants on earth, no way...but they're well branded, expensive, 'exclusive' and a status symbol.

I don't disagree that you can be subtle, but not everyone can because often those things are expensive. Mid range brands succeed so fantastically because they show some status (Ralph, Hilfiger, etc etc etc etc) and are more affordable.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Hmm, a new crank up 30m Luso tower for my yard with some new Optibeam antennas. A new Elecraft 1500 watt solid state amp to go with my radio and a new Flex 6700 radio would be a start but it's a long list and hadly the sort of thing others would know much about I guess
errrr...........
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed

so true...have you guys seen the Bentley SUV equivalent (it's called the Bentayga)...it's totally rank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.