Must haves or wants

Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must haves or wants

Originally Posted by jam25mack
To you there's a difference, to everyone else.... not so much. Which is fair enough. Thats your call.

Hence why I said 5 pairs not 1.

I'm not heavy on shoes at all and have trainers that are years old and have been used a shed load. On a pound per mile basis I bet they destroy your expensive ones. Again tho, if they're you thing then go for it.

Also, do you not get bored with the style of them.... they must be standard looking to not become outdated surely?

No always. Rare / limited run / classic cars have been increasing in value at a better percentage than fine art for several years now. As such, many people who can afford the more expensive metal keep hold of them. Cars can be a great investment. Just have a look at how much 80-90's hot hatches are going for now. Cars that were getting scrapped or sold for a few hundred quid are now going for several, or even tens of thousands now, many way more than they cost when new.

Why spend 300 on some decent shoes when you can get some pretty decent ones for 150....

Things like this are hard to justify. Expensive watches for example are just as accurate, if not less so than a ten quid digital.... but people like the feel, craftmanship etc even when in reality generally the expensive ones are no better at their function than something significantly cheaper.

I like watches, in fact I like most mechanical things that are well made and have a sense of style. I don't have any 'really' expensive watches but if I had the spare cash I could see myself getting hooked.
Good quality shoes provide excellent support for the feet. Take your trainers, walk a mile in an old pair versus a brand new pair, you'll surely feel the difference. Athletes are always going through new trainers every few months for this reason. Regular people should change their trainers at least once a year.

As for my shoes, no, they are not faddish shoes. I don't pay attention to those. I only have one pair of trainers and it gets replaced yearly. The shoes I have could have been bought 20 years ago, 50 years ago, and will be bought 20 years from now and 50 years from now.

I'm a firm believer that in most things there's a level of quality that justifies spending to have that quality, but once you reach that threshold then beyond it it's other factors that come into play. And it's utility. And there's no proper answer.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:15 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Nice cafe racer style bike, looks really good. My only problem with BMV is that they cannot seem to do a properly stripped down bike, there is probably another 20 or 30 kg of stuff that could come off that bike.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Good quality shoes provide excellent support for the feet. Take your trainers, walk a mile in an old pair versus a brand new pair, you'll surely feel the difference. Athletes are always going through new trainers every few months for this reason. Regular people should change their trainers at least once a year.
Cheap shoes can offer excellent support too.... similar to how cheap watches can tell the time just like expensive ones. Expensive shoes do not have the monopoly on good fit and support.

You seem to need to justify spending the money you do on them. As I said before, if shoes are your thing then rock on.

Your trainer argument is bogus tho. So you're expensive shoes can last 20, 50, 500 years but a pair of scientifically designed trainers should be changed once a year......
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Nice cafe racer style bike, looks really good. My only problem with BMV is that they cannot seem to do a properly stripped down bike, there is probably another 20 or 30 kg of stuff that could come off that bike.
It's their first main-stream attempt, and I think they've nailed it. The fugly motor/gearbox lump of the 80's R90 and the like absolutely militated against making one into a cafe racer -- but this engine just works in the frame and the overall layout. Agree with you about the potential for slimming it down. I might consider a Street Cup as a first step, but ultimately it'll be the Beemer unless either a) someone brings out something better, or b) I can justify the expense of one of these and nice Herr Axel will make me one:

Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that even as a biker, cafe racers do little for me. If I was leaning away from the Sports bike genre I would go the Steve McQueen scrambler or funky bespoke chopper route. There's a Brit guy living in the US who's quite big in the custom bike game and he builds some awesome custom machines. Not the chrome clad Americanesque monstrosities, more contemporary pieces of art.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:54 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that even as a biker, cafe racers do little for me. If I was leaning away from the Sports bike genre I would go the Steve McQueen scrambler or funky bespoke chopper route. There's a Brit guy living in the US who's quite big in the custom bike game and he builds some awesome custom machines. Not the chrome clad Americanesque monstrosities, more contemporary pieces of art.
Each to his own. I'd have that JPS-esque Kaffeemaschine in my living room as a piece of art.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap shoes can offer excellent support too.... similar to how cheap watches can tell the time just like expensive ones. Expensive shoes do not have the monopoly on good fit and support.

You seem to need to justify spending the money you do on them. As I said before, if shoes are your thing then rock on.

Your trainer argument is bogus tho. So you're expensive shoes can last 20, 50, 500 years but a pair of scientifically designed trainers should be changed once a year......
Eh. You're trying to justify having cheap shoes yourself. Cheap shoes are cheap for a reason, they're not meant to last for a long time as they're not made out of materials that will provide you with the support to keep your feet happy. Now, if you bought a cheap pair of shoes and wore it only once a month then sure, that can be kept going for a while. But most people don't do that? It defeats the purpose of shoes for them. They need something to wear daily or very regularly.

Same principles with trainers, even the scientifically designed ones. You wear a pair of trainers once or twice a month, you can keep it going. But if you wear it intensively, which is what most people do, it will wear out more quickly and reach the point where it fails to provide the strong support for your soles and feet that is necessary if you don't want to hurt yourself during physical activity. It doesn't matter how scientifically designed it is - a high quality pair of trainers only has a certain life span based on the intensity of use, and the designers know this and will tell you this. Anyone who runs seriously will replace their trainers every few months at a minimum for this reason. Look - people never replace the soles of their trainers with new soles, do they? They just buy new trainers and trainers aren't designed to have soles easily replaced. Unlike high quality shoes such as Church's, which can be kept going for half a century with care and the occasional sole replacement.

Trying to compare it to watches is misleading. A cheap or expensive watch are both meaningless beyond the ability to tell time. We don't even need watches. But we do need shoes, no? And they're important in providing structural and physical support. A good quality pair of shoes goes a long way in spending all day walking, for example. Excellent trekking boots make a huge difference in climbing mountains.

But I won't bore the bored about shoes any more.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just wear DM's most days
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I own one pairs of trainers which I have never used as I run barefoot in the gym (wearing either skinners or au natural) and for squatting or deadlifts place my heels under a sponge mat.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
My other must haves or wants are way out there and off any normal persons radar to get a mention here methinks.
tell us, i'm curious
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:27 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
It's their first main-stream attempt, and I think they've nailed it. The fugly motor/gearbox lump of the 80's R90 and the like absolutely militated against making one into a cafe racer -- but this engine just works in the frame and the overall layout. Agree with you about the potential for slimming it down. I might consider a Street Cup as a first step, but ultimately it'll be the Beemer unless either a) someone brings out something better, or b) I can justify the expense of one of these and nice Herr Axel will make me one:

https://cdn.silodrome.com/wp-content...rcycle.-3.jpeg
I do like the BMW however I'd like to see them design without the boxer engine or shaft drive or all the other bmw gubbins. Just cut loose similar to the 450cc scrambler and the s1000r
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Eh. You're trying to justify having cheap shoes yourself. Cheap shoes are cheap for a reason, they're not meant to last for a long time as they're not made out of materials that will provide you with the support to keep your feet happy. Now, if you bought a cheap pair of shoes and wore it only once a month then sure, that can be kept going for a while. But most people don't do that? It defeats the purpose of shoes for them. They need something to wear daily or very regularly.
Exactly. I used to buy a standard pair of Topman shoes in my uni days which would last 6 months tops.

When I graduated and went to my first sales meeting with a client, I bought a pair of Church's to commemorate the occasion. Still wearing them 7 years later...
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
tell us, i'm curious
Hmm, a new crank up 30m Luso tower for my yard with some new Optibeam antennas. A new Elecraft 1500 watt solid state amp to go with my radio and a new Flex 6700 radio would be a start but it's a long list and hadly the sort of thing others would know much about I guess
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:04 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

For what it’s worth, I was feeling a bit flush on my last visit to UK so I went to Church’s and bought a new pair of black brogues and a new pair of brown loafers which Mrs Shed chose. I am convinced that these two pairs will give the same great service, attract the same compliments and look as good as the two 20 year old pairs that they shall replace. I think I’ll keep the old boys for gardening duty when I retire as they are so comfortable. Yes, I had the old guys serviced at the factory a couple of times but as people once said.

“The Shoes, the watch, the man”. And

“Quality NEVER goes out of style”.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

This is a new must have!

https://stuartandlau.com/products/th...-gym-bag-black

I'm in the market for a new gym bag to carry my gear as I swim each morning and hit the gym after work as well. And look! It has a special compartment for shoes Perfect. A bit expensive.... should I get it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.