Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Must be a case for the Special Branch..?

Must be a case for the Special Branch..?

Old May 20th 2008, 1:03 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Must be a case for the Special Branch..?

A woman has died following a bus crash on Tower Bridge Road in London.

A further 18 people were injured in the accident, some seriously, in what has been termed a "major incident".

The bus involved Scotland Yard said that the woman who died was believed to have been a pedestrian and not a passenger on the bus.

The accident took place on the junction with Tanner Street, with early reports indicating that the 188 bus collided with a tree.

Ambulance services were first alerted to the incident at 9.35am and were on the scene within three minutes.

Some of the injured were taken to hospital, four with major injuries and six with minor injuries.

Sky News correspondent Joey Jones said that the bus had taken a "fearful impact" on its left-hand side.

Speaking from the scene, he said: "It's been hit between the two decks. The glass on the top deck has been entirely broken and knocked out

"There is a huge great branch from the tree lying behind the bus.

"Anybody who was sitting on the top deck at the front on the left hand side would have taken the full impact."

Travel journalist Simon Calder said that buses were still a safe way to travel and this incident was just a tragic one-off.

He told Sky News: "A a result of this there will be calls for buses to be fitted with safety belts but all the evidence is that in cities, where buses are going slowly, there is no need for seat belts."

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said that designating the accident as a major incident meant that a "tried and trusted" plan came into operation.

He said: "The emergency services practice for events like this where there are multiple injuries and perhaps fatalities. Police, fire brigade and London ambulance are all involved and hospitals are put on alert."

Tower Bridge is a major London landmark, and the accident took place close to there.

The area is now gridlocked, with Tower Bridge Road, Tanner Street, Druid Street, Tooley Street and Jamaica Road all closed.

The 188 double decker, operated by Travel London, was travelling from North Greenwich to Russell Square and would have passed through Deptford, Canada Water and Holborn.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We are currently trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision."

"A woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers are speaking to the driver of the bus."

Martin Brunt confirmed: "We don't know the state of health of the driver but he has been talking to police officers at the scene."

One Sky News viewer said that he was not surprised at the incident.

Rod Doyle told us: "I travel on that bus all the time and never travel on the top deck because the trees there lean into the road.

"I have often thought that the bus comes far too close to that particular tree."
Old May 21st 2008, 5:13 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Must be a case for the Special Branch..?

Originally Posted by BangleMan
A woman has died following a bus crash on Tower Bridge Road in London.

A further 18 people were injured in the accident, some seriously, in what has been termed a "major incident".

The bus involved Scotland Yard said that the woman who died was believed to have been a pedestrian and not a passenger on the bus.

The accident took place on the junction with Tanner Street, with early reports indicating that the 188 bus collided with a tree.

Ambulance services were first alerted to the incident at 9.35am and were on the scene within three minutes.

Some of the injured were taken to hospital, four with major injuries and six with minor injuries.

Sky News correspondent Joey Jones said that the bus had taken a "fearful impact" on its left-hand side.

Speaking from the scene, he said: "It's been hit between the two decks. The glass on the top deck has been entirely broken and knocked out

"There is a huge great branch from the tree lying behind the bus.

"Anybody who was sitting on the top deck at the front on the left hand side would have taken the full impact."

Travel journalist Simon Calder said that buses were still a safe way to travel and this incident was just a tragic one-off.

He told Sky News: "A a result of this there will be calls for buses to be fitted with safety belts but all the evidence is that in cities, where buses are going slowly, there is no need for seat belts."

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said that designating the accident as a major incident meant that a "tried and trusted" plan came into operation.

He said: "The emergency services practice for events like this where there are multiple injuries and perhaps fatalities. Police, fire brigade and London ambulance are all involved and hospitals are put on alert."

Tower Bridge is a major London landmark, and the accident took place close to there.

The area is now gridlocked, with Tower Bridge Road, Tanner Street, Druid Street, Tooley Street and Jamaica Road all closed.

The 188 double decker, operated by Travel London, was travelling from North Greenwich to Russell Square and would have passed through Deptford, Canada Water and Holborn.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We are currently trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision."

"A woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers are speaking to the driver of the bus."

Martin Brunt confirmed: "We don't know the state of health of the driver but he has been talking to police officers at the scene."

One Sky News viewer said that he was not surprised at the incident.

Rod Doyle told us: "I travel on that bus all the time and never travel on the top deck because the trees there lean into the road.

"I have often thought that the bus comes far too close to that particular tree."
That must be the WORST pun you have come up with...

Now, bugger off to the UK and let us get on with some proper threads....

Old May 21st 2008, 5:48 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
That must be the WORST pun you have come up with...

Now, bugger off to the UK and let us get on with some proper threads....

I thought it was pretty good myself....

You only want me to go back to the UK this weekend because you dont want to feel threatened at the karaoke on Friday....!
Old May 21st 2008, 5:50 am

I thought it was pretty good myself....

You only want me to go back to the UK this weekend because you dont want to feel threatened at the karaoke on Friday....!
Thankfully, I know you have no interest in me, its all those other guys that feel threatened.........
Old May 21st 2008, 6:22 am
Hammer for Life

Thankfully, I know you have no interest in me, its all those other guys that feel threatened.........
I was referring to you being "vocally" threatened....lol
Old May 21st 2008, 6:29 am

I was referring to you being "vocally" threatened....lol
And how low can YOU go????
Old May 21st 2008, 6:56 am
Hammer for Life

And how low can YOU go????
As low as a beaver....lol
Old May 21st 2008, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

you dirty boy!
Old May 21st 2008, 6:57 am

Dam!!!!!
Old May 21st 2008, 7:22 am
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
you dirty boy!
What do you mean ?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean ?
you really are asking for a spanking arent you?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:26 am
Hammer for Life

Dam!!!!!
Dam ? Isnt that what they use to stop any flooding ?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dam ? Isnt that what they use to stop any flooding ?
oh christ..
Old May 21st 2008, 7:27 am
Hammer for Life

you really are asking for a spanking arent you?
Seeing as you're not answering my PM's, thought I would go public...
Old May 21st 2008, 7:28 am
Hammer for Life

oh christ..
What now !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.