Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Misuse of the apostrophe.

Misuse of the apostrophe.

Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Default Misuse of the apostrophe

Today upon a visit to the ladies I encountered the following signage -

LADIE'S PLEASE PUT ALL TOILET PAPER AND OTHER LITTER IN THE BIN!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Why do people insist on throwing them in when a word ends in an 's'?

Learn the rule - contraction or possession

Last edited by silversilver; Aug 9th 2012 at 8:59 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:42 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misuse of the apostrophe

Originally Posted by silversilver
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
*Ahem.*
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Autonomy
*Ahem.*
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Misuse of the apostrophe.

I'm more bothered by the poop paper going in the bin (and not the toilet) than the hanging apostrophe...
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
I'm more bothered by the poop paper going in the bin (and not the toilet) than the hanging apostrophe...
+1
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:17 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Sadly, I have to do that in my flat. Many of the toilets aren't designed to have toilet paper flushed down them.

Within the first three months, the toilet became blocked four times. And I don't use that much paper.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:18 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Today upon a visit to the ladies I encountered the following signage -

LADIE'S PLEASE PUT ALL TOILET PAPER AND OTHER LITTER IN THE BIN!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Why do people insist on throwing them in when a word ends in an 's'?

Learn the rule - contraction or possession
As an ex-journalist, and someone still working in the writing trade, I know what you mean. I've lost count of how many times I've been tempted to carry a red permanent marker around with me and fix signs.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Sadly, I have to do that in my flat. Many of the toilets aren't designed to have toilet paper flushed down them.

Within the first three months, the toilet became blocked four times. And I don't use that much paper.
Do you know how old your flat is?

I always flushed the toilet tissue down the loo, in Abu Dhabi, and I left the place in the early/mid 90s.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

As an ex-journalist, and someone still working in the writing trade, I know what you mean. I've lost count of how many times I've been tempted to carry a red permanent marker around with me and fix signs.
Inserting a redundant comma before the word "and' makes me very angry.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:25 am
You read these things?

Originally Posted by mentalist
Inserting a redundant comma before the word "and' makes me very angry.
It's a bracketing comma so is perfectly legal. It's linked to the second comma after trade.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Autonomy
*Ahem.*
I must stress I don't really pay attention to punctuation when texting or typing on forums or FB however if I was making a sign for the general public to feast their eyes upon on I would make sure it was right. (take note I have used only one full stop in that epic ramble)

I type the way I talk - lots and without a care for pausing or stopping in the right places.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

I have now permanently forgotten the apostrophe and am praying that I don't end up in your apartment block! On a positive note after reading your comment I have now pushed my bowl of Special K to the side........ A few more comments like that and I may be well on the road to a fast.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

I have now pushed my bowl of Special K to the side........ A few more comments like that and I may be well on the road to a fast.
Eating Ketamine for breakfast is not big or clever... Especially during the holy month
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Use the hose. Paper is unnecessary and inefficient.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:29 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is "load of crap"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.