Meltdowns - how often?

Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meltdowns - how often?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It's a classic running forum joke .
but overdone
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:24 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Agreed. Women like this are why men die first - we lose the will to live.
That, and having to deal with the frigging banks here.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

I was thinking of signing up with Barclays, as my new work uses them. Have you thought about online banking?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:52 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have meltdowns as such (had about 3 in the 10 years o/seas so far compared to about 1 a month in UK prior to this).

My problem is stress releted insomnia. Hence this post at 1.50 am on a work day. 4th day running so far waking at 1.00 am. usually takes about 2 to 3 hours before going back to bed, and even then don't really sleep.
I get up at 6.00 am each day for work.

I get this about once every couple of months (usually a week of it at a time), particularly when it gets to 'silly season' ie the middle term which is crazy as hell.

It drives me nuts.

Any potential solutions gratefully received.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Have you tried any of the following? Write a to do list to focus tasks for the next day - takes it out of the mind and onto paper. Stop working 1 1/2 -2 hours before going to bed. Avoid caffine & alchohol in the evening. Relax with a good book to take you to another place. Relax in the bath before turning in. Put on soothing music? Sleep in a very dark room - blackout curtains, cooler room rather than hot. Buy a top of the range mattress & good pillows.

Personally I have a radio next to the bed- usually BBC R4 or the world service.

The drone of the voice usually sends me off!

If not asleep within 20 mins, I get up until I am tired.

I use some of the ideas on the site below. But you are right about mid term blues, I get the same feeling this time of year as well - usually wake at 5 a.m then get up at 6.45.

http://teachersupport.info/news/well-being/index.php

Hope some of this will help.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:50 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Roll on our (hopefully) soon move to Muscat. Then we'll be dealing with an altogether different (if somewhat similar - go figure) type of ****wittery (to misquote one of my favourite blogs). Guess it's the challenge of living in this region (by choice - yes, I know, you all think we're nuts) which keeps what little remains of our little grey cells working!

By the way, does anybody know of a good independent PRO? Being retired and not having the luxury (if you can call it that) of a business/employment based PRO any recommendations would be gratefully received. We'd like to be able to leave the UAE with all the i's dotted and all the t's crossed, if you know what I mean, and to be able to return and visit friends without the risk of being arrested or whatever at the border.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Avoid caffine & alchohol in the evening.
That's right, everyone knows alcohol is a breakfast drink.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I don't have meltdowns as such (had about 3 in the 10 years o/seas so far compared to about 1 a month in UK prior to this).

My problem is stress releted insomnia. Hence this post at 1.50 am on a work day. 4th day running so far waking at 1.00 am. usually takes about 2 to 3 hours before going back to bed, and even then don't really sleep.

I get this about once every couple of months (usually a week of it at a time), particularly when it gets to 'silly season' ie the middle term which is crazy as hell.

It drives me nuts.

masturbation?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Roll on our (hopefully) soon move to Muscat. Then we'll be dealing with an altogether different (if somewhat similar - go figure) type of ****wittery (to misquote one of my favourite blogs). Guess it's the challenge of living in this region (by choice - yes, I know, you all think we're nuts) which keeps what little remains of our little grey cells working!

By the way, does anybody know of a good independent PRO? Being retired and not having the luxury (if you can call it that) of a business/employment based PRO any recommendations would be gratefully received. We'd like to be able to leave the UAE with all the i's dotted and all the t's crossed, if you know what I mean, and to be able to return and visit friends without the risk of being arrested or whatever at the border.
I could put you in touch with our company one. He is very good and I'm sure would be happy to do a bit on the side if you like...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It drives me nuts.

Make sure your bed is how you like it. For me that means clean, fresh linen, plumped pillows and everything else neat and tidy. Have a bath or shower. Don't do anything mentally stimulating for at least an hour before you go to bed. Endorphin-releasing activity could be good. In bed, put on some very relaxing music or the sound of waves crashing and distant thunder (I have the latter on an endless loop). Get really comfortable, and starting with your toes just concentrate (mildly, if that makes sense) on relaxing every single muscle; work up through your feet, legs, torso, arms, neck and face muscles. If that doesn't work, Jack's No 7 might.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:49 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
I was thinking of signing up with Barclays, as my new work uses them. Have you thought about online banking?
Thanks I do all my personal banking online with Barclays, which is pretty easy. Part of my work involves dealing with trade finance through the local banks--that's the head-banging bit.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It drives me nuts.

I feel your pain. Insomnia is just awful. I get bad bouts every few weeks (which I know is stress-related) and there seems to be very little that helps me apart from sleeping tablets, which I avoid taking as they give me hangovers. Have you tried Panadol Nights though? They make most people a little sleepy so are sometimes enough to get me off to sleep for a while.

Good luck with it x
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:54 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of the ideas. Nice to know there are people who genuinely want to help.

I used to have a couple of those 'waves' and 'Rain' CD's which were brill for getting to sleep.

Must get some more......

Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:54 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
masturbation?
Thanks for the offer but..... no thanks
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Victor- put some lavender oil in your pillow, warm bath before bed and use some breathing techniques- laying on your back, place your hand on your stomach, take a deep breath from the stomach so that your hand rises up and down rather than breathing through your chest. Take 10 deep breaths and slowly release. Avoid coffee/alcohol for 5 hours before going to bed. Make sure youdo some exercise during the day.

As for my meltdowns I am so laidback I am nearly horizontal so have only had one proper meltdown here- which was directed at a colleague for their lack of professionalism. And I mean a proper seeing red, screaming banshee moment. Quite a few grrrr moments but generally not as bad as I was expecting. Laughter is the best reaction- laugh it off when you can and put it down to experience (although 2 1/2 hours spent in DEWA office where not spent laughing). As they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.