Medicals

Old Mar 8th 2018, 6:12 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by Millhouse
All good advice. We might have to start a broscience thread.
Broscience is just science
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:21 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Cardio is prioritised over weights. If you start your workout with cardio, your energy will be depleted before you hit the weights.
How much of a factor do you think that is?
Old Mar 8th 2018, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
How much of a factor do you think that is?
Well, heavy weights are way more taxing on the body than a moderate jog for 40 minutes. If you deplete your glycogen stores (energy) before you even start your weight training, the amount of weight you can push/pull will suffer.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as this has turned into the fitness/gym thread, might be as good a place as any to ask. What is recommended when you are training for high fitness, plus good body strength? I don't like the notion that cardio is working against muscle building.

I had a trainer a few years ago who had me doing cardio on increasing resistance treadmills etc. almost like HIT but just getting progressively harder. He was keenly focused on heart rate recovery times.And then medium weights with a lot of repetitions.

My mate is trying to talk me into a last hurrah 6 day off road motorcycle race at the end of the year but I'm not going to commit until at least I can be confident of being physically capable or at risk of being airlifted off a mountain somewhere with a blown up heart.
You need a strength based endurance programme focusing on core / stability / mobility . High intensity stuff and low HR endurance training .

Obviously not at the same time. Crossfit themed exrecises that do everything to time or failure plus the boring stuff .
Old Mar 13th 2018, 11:51 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the doctor last night about my poorly finger (don't laugh it's bloody painful). Took my BP and it was like 180/100. Oops. Came down a bit later to 167/100, but still way high. Doctor suggested ****ing weight loss surgery before settling on trying a new pharma cocktail!

Need to do something drastic. A bit of walking hasn't made any difference. I'm drinking too much. Got that 7 minute exercise app...worried it would kill me if I tried doing it!

Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Went to the doctor last night about my poorly finger (don't laugh it's bloody painful). Took my BP and it was like 180/100. Oops. Came down a bit later to 167/100, but still way high. Doctor suggested ****ing weight loss surgery before settling on trying a new pharma cocktail!

Need to do something drastic. A bit of walking hasn't made any difference. I'm drinking too much. Got that 7 minute exercise app...worried it would kill me if I tried doing it!

Stop drinking.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:42 pm
Knee deep and rising

If the doc is suggesting weight loss surgery at a sore finger consultation, it sounds like you need help.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If the doc is suggesting weight loss surgery at a sore finger consultation, it sounds like you need help.
Well.... it is the GCC. Any excuse to make money. Which summarises the entire health care industry and all the fake diagnoses they give.

Having said that, this could be the exception don't fool around with your health. If something seems of concern seek other consultants and get a range of opinions. And then go home and do what your UK doctor tells you.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:41 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Stop drinking.
Yeah...simple when you say it like that, the same way "eat less, move more" sounds simple.

:LOL: Well, it seems to be routine here to check the BP every time you go in, even if it's just for a sore finger. As it happens, the treatment for the sore finger has made it worse!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...simple when you say it like that, the same way "eat less, move more" sounds simple.

:LOL: Well, it seems to be routine here to check the BP every time you go in, even if it's just for a sore finger. As it happens, the treatment for the sore finger has made it worse!
This works:

https://www.resperate.com/

For me, the following cocktail works, but need to be fairly consistent:
* Beetroot juice (a big glass each day -- you'll pee and poo red). Either ready made, or DIY with a juicer. Dunno if you can get ready made in UAE, but easily available in UK (try to get neat rather than including apple juice); DIY is a doddle but messy -- best to make a biggish batch and freeze.
* HIIT (5 mins warm up, 20 mins HIIT, 5 mins cool down), 4 or more times a week. Rower's best for me, but you can do it walking / power walking at first.
* Heavy weights. 45 min session, 3 times a week.
* New Atkins.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:05 pm
Excess Baggage

Just tried the 7 minute exercise plan. My god...it's amazing how you can get the heart rate going so quickly. It was 30 seconds of weight-bearing exercises with 10 seconds rest between each. I had to adapt press-ups and couldn't manage proper planks, but I did something and I'm sweating like mad now!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:10 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
This works:

https://www.resperate.com/

For me, the following cocktail works, but need to be fairly consistent:
* Beetroot juice (a big glass each day -- you'll pee and poo red). Either ready made, or DIY with a juicer. Dunno if you can get ready made in UAE, but easily available in UK (try to get neat rather than including apple juice); DIY is a doddle but messy -- best to make a biggish batch and freeze.
* HIIT (5 mins warm up, 20 mins HIIT, 5 mins cool down), 4 or more times a week. Rower's best for me, but you can do it walking / power walking at first.
* Heavy weights. 45 min session, 3 times a week.
* New Atkins.
Yes, I got a CD which does guided breathing for this a few years ago. Thought it was a bit weird, but maybe something in it!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:24 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Those BP numbers are high. If you're not on medication they would almost certainly be recommending it. If you are already, then you need to change it. Pre-medication, my genetic pre-disposition had me at 180/120 which is alarmingly high. Now, a number of years later and much fatter, I average about 130/80.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:30 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Those BP numbers are high. If you're not on medication they would almost certainly be recommending it. If you are already, then you need to change it. Pre-medication, my genetic pre-disposition had me at 180/120 which is alarmingly high. Now, a number of years later and much fatter, I average about 130/80.
Yep, changes are being made to the meds I take. I was on a 3-a-day thing but kept forgetting to take them. I'm also going to make some much-needed lifestyle changes. I know I can do it; I've done it before. I went on the Wheat Belly diet a couple of years back and my BP normalised within 2 weeks.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, changes are being made to the meds I take. I was on a 3-a-day thing but kept forgetting to take them. I'm also going to make some much-needed lifestyle changes. I know I can do it; I've done it before. I went on the Wheat Belly diet a couple of years back and my BP normalised within 2 weeks.
You’re not going to like it, but by the sounds of things it’s all diet. You won’t be able to fix this with some exercise (although keep up 7 for now).

You need to learn to embrace and control the feeling of hunger and to restructure the macros. I have about 1-2kg to lose right now that I’ll start on when I get back (currently in the US and all the food here is shit so you just have to embrace it for the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.