Live Forever—Soberly

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:40 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Live Forever—Soberly

Recommended safe limits for drinking alcohol by older people should be drastically cut, according to a report.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists says people over 65 should drink a maximum of only 1.5 units of alcohol a day.

That is the equivalent of just over about half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13863196

FFS. Recent research indicates that, assuming the status quo, 1 in 10 women will live to be 100. I don't wanna live forever, thanks very much Freddie.

I met a friend when back home last week, who has the lucky task of cutting old people's toenails. All she hears, day-in and day-out, is gentle-to-rabid disatisfaction with being old. One old dear, at 98, had suffered a heart attack, but recovered: "I just wish it had been fatal" she said. That's the norm.

I don't know of many people in their 80's or beyond who have anything approaching a quality of life sufficient to outweigh all the downsides. My friend and I are in unison: provided we're still sufficiently compos mentis, when the balance tips it'll be a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and as many paracetamols as are required to do the trick.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of
Default Re: Live Forever—Soberly

Loads of oldies on radio 5 live today phoning in saying a lifetime of drinking has done them no harm, going to the pub is their only pleasure left in life, binge drinking before you were born etc. Looks like the news silly season has linked up to the nanny state early this year
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

BTW, oldie is always anyone 10 years older than me
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

IF I hit 90 I intend on getting back on the smokes on my birthday along with a good bottle of bubbly- everyday- til I drop dead!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't know of many people in their 80's or beyond who have anything approaching a quality of life sufficient to outweigh all the downsides. My friend and I are in unison: provided we're still sufficiently compos mentis, when the balance tips it'll be a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and as many paracetamols as are required to do the trick.
I'm so with you. I would probably go for a holiday to Switzerland though... via bangkok of course.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:52 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to UK in late July this year for an aunt's 100th birthday. OK, she's been a 'bit poorly' lately and is currently in a nursing home (but still on her own two feet) and until April lived on her own in sheltered housing with daily visits from a carer. But still cooked all her own meals etc. She's as bright as a button still when we phone her (thanks to her hearing aid) and we hope that she makes it to her birthday - if determination has anything to do with it, she will!

And, yes, she's lived soberly (never married - fiance killed in WW2) but has had a wonderful life (despite operations for various ailments - including removal of pre-cancerous cells in her 90's and a knee replacement). TBH she's got more go than my father who isn't yet 80 yrs old. But then her father lived until 103 yrs of age so perhaps she's hoping to break the record.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:44 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I will end up like Charlton Heston except instead of a rifle I will be holding aloft a bottle of Black Label and boldly stating "From my cold, dead hands".

There's only rule with drinking - cause no harm to others either physical or financial...live within that and I don't care if people drink two pints of vodka for breakfast.

Up the Nanny State.

N.