Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Last man / woman on earth

Last man / woman on earth

Old Mar 27th 2017, 11:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Last man / woman on earth

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I'dalso consider whether it'd be worth the time and effort to shit on every seat at Stamford Bridge....
OOOOOH GOOD ONE.

I'd play football at St Mary's and then Wembley. I'd kick a goal at Twickers. I'd blow up Wimbledon for ruining every summer since tennis began. I'd race a powerboat up the Thames like James Bond. I'd see how fast the London Eye can spin. I'd burn all of Portsmouth to the floor.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:47 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
OOOOOH GOOD ONE.

I'd play football at St Mary's and then Wembley. I'd kick a goal at Twickers. I'd blow up Wimbledon for ruining every summer since tennis began. I'd race a powerboat up the Thames like James Bond. I'd see how fast the London Eye can spin. I'd burn all of Portsmouth to the floor.
This assumes you are in the UK at the time the rest of humankind disappears otherwise that's a looooong journey from here.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
This assumes you are in the UK at the time the rest of humankind disappears otherwise that's a looooong journey from here.
I refer the honorable lady to my previous theft of a superyacht or ferrari or cruise liner or fast learning to fly jumbo jets.

I reckon without border controls, without traffic and without hassle.... the c7,000km journey would only take two weeks, tops. That's at a fair but conservative 500km a day only....
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I refer the honorable lady to my previous theft of a superyacht or ferrari or cruise liner or fast learning to fly jumbo jets.

I reckon without border controls, without traffic and without hassle.... the c7,000km journey would only take two weeks, tops. That's at a fair but conservative 500km a day only....
Yachts maybe, but if you think the plane is a good idea you obviously aren't up to date on the series.

I've been mulling it over and I think Southern France or Northern Spain would be good places to live post-apocalypse.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Yachts maybe, but if you think the plane is a good idea you obviously aren't up to date on the series.

I've been mulling it over and I think Southern France or Northern Spain would be good places to live post-apocalypse.
I'm just starting season 3.

Southern France would be nice. Somewhere arable, with pleasant weather and an abundance of wine. What could be bad?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:58 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Or indeed pre-apocalypse; though I guess not so much any more for those of you with non-EU passports...
Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:38 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The Isle of Man would be better. Defensible, and with a source of fish around it. Or maybe Jersey/Guernsey.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:02 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Isle of Man would be better. Defensible, and with a source of fish around it. Or maybe Jersey/Guernsey.
Weather, man, weather. Sat inside on a rainy Sunday afternoon is bad enough, but Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday AND Saturday afternoons would be a killer. Sicily, maybe -- although I'm not sure an island's so good: what do you want to defend it from? Provided there's no marauding large vertebrates you'd be fine. By the coast, yes. So maybe southern Italy or Spain - plentiful veg, excellent wine (maybe Italy, then), and temperate.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:12 am
Bored liberal

In Winter? Are you quite mad?

You want a temperate climate with little need for heating or cooling and the ability to grow fruit and veg year round, as well as a good supply of fresh water.

The scenario of the series is that everything has died, including animals and fish.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:20 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

After a few years daily practice you could smash the TT lap record or alternatively smash yourself doing it.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Once nuclear power plants cease to be manned they'll be a huge risk, so as far away as possible. That rules out Europe, US, India, Japan/Korea, SE China, South Africa. Extreme weather rules out Canada, Greenland, central Africa, Russia, Central China, so basically that leaves the following with moderate weather:

Oz/NZ/Papua NG/Indonesia, Chile/Peru/Ecuador, Southern Morocco - Sierra Leone

Oz is a bit wildlife scary, PNG there-might-be-some-headshrinkers-left scary, S America unknown to me -- so maybe I'd move a bit further down the coast, and stay on the coast for the fish and more temperate weather. Never imagined I'd chose Africa...
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Once nuclear power plants cease to be manned they'll be a huge risk, so as far away as possible. That rules out Europe, US, India, Japan/Korea, SE China, South Africa. Extreme weather rules out Canada, Greenland, central Africa, Russia, Central China, so basically that leaves the following with moderate weather:

Oz/NZ/Papua NG/Indonesia, Chile/Peru/Ecuador, Southern Morocco - Sierra Leone

Oz is a bit wildlife scary, PNG there-might-be-some-headshrinkers-left scary, S America unknown to me -- so maybe I'd move a bit further down the coast, and stay on the coast for the fish and more temperate weather. Never imagined I'd chose Africa...
without the locals around nicking everything, East Africa would be a very good bet. Fertile, water, enough cars with petrol in lying around to get you going. Not too many crazy wildlife... probably enough generators, solar/panels etc to power the kettle and listen to the silent radio. all will be fine.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:41 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
without the locals around nicking everything, East Africa would be a very good bet. Fertile, water, enough cars with petrol in lying around to get you going. Not too many crazy wildlife... probably enough generators, solar/panels etc to power the kettle and listen to the silent radio. all will be fine.
Biggest solar power plant in the world, reckon I could keep that going -- but would I really need electricity? Probably could survive with a portable solar charger just to keep my laptop going.

Prevailing wind is from the Atlantic or Sahara, so relatively pollution-free. Fertile. Monthly trips to Marrakech to stock up on goodies.

Roads are generally a bit shit, though, but there's got to be a trade-off somehow.

Quite warming to it -- ok, bring it on.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Biggest solar power plant in the world, reckon I could keep that going -- but would I really need electricity? Probably could survive with a portable solar charger just to keep my laptop going.

Prevailing wind is from the Atlantic or Sahara, so relatively pollution-free. Fertile. Monthly trips to Marrakech to stock up on goodies.

Roads are generally a bit shit, though, but there's got to be a trade-off somehow.

Quite warming to it -- ok, bring it on.
why do you need the laptop? to look at websites frozen in time?

you just need a travel kettle, and a toaster. not that you'll have any bread to toast.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:40 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
why do you need the laptop? to look at websites frozen in time?

you just need a travel kettle, and a toaster. not that you'll have any bread to toast.
He (we) could make bread.

It'd be like The Good Life but without the pigs and chickens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.