laptop on deathbed

Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default laptop on deathbed

Ok I think my laptop is one step from electrical goods heaven;

The C, T and space button are working as and when they please

Something pinged off it the other night and now the screen has gone floppy so am just waiting for it to fall off

Its so bloody slow- i've given up trying to download any music or films as it gets stuck- after trying to download a film from itunes and it taking a week and a half I gave up!

So unless anyone is literally a magician I think it's time to make a purchase.

So I am tempted by a mac, is it worth me buying here or in the UK and which size is best? I will be using it for design and retouching so I need a decent size. Spugsy- what do you have? And if i save an image on a mac in photoshop can I then open it on a PC in photoshop or do I need to be working on the sameformat?

thanks IT boffs- all help is appreciated
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: laptop on deathbed

Mac's are beautiful, well made, intuitive, robust, quick and OVERPRICED.

You can get away with a standard Macbook for most things, but the big screens of the Macbook pro are lovely.

Don't buy a Mac with your brain, cos you won't, you'd buy Windows.

Decide whats the most you want to spend, add 10% and go and see what you can buy.

For comparison for you, a Macbook Pro 15" with the i5 2.3 processor is 930 quid at amazon at the moment.

The top of the range one's with the i7 processor and 15" are £1389.

I have the i7 and it's lovely and fast, but do you really need that extra speed for the extra £400.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

ta jon- and is it cheaper in the UK- I'll be there in december and will be downloading all the programmes from a friend so I can wait to buy it there if it would be cheaper? actually I have a friend at apple- I'll see what discount he gets... can I claim back tax on that as well if I buy in blighty?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Apple have an online store in the UAE, have you checked the prices?

Just checked, the i7 15" macbook pro is 7999, so about £1379. Amazon have that at £1389.

If you know someone at Apple the minimum discount they should be able to swing is the 5% educational discount.

Last edited by _jon_; Oct 18th 2011 at 10:24 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:23 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

If you add the cost of a new license for Photoshop (around 550 quid), it hardly makes financial sense to jump over to Mac. Not to mention Office, and all the other PC software you have already paid for (assuming you are totally honest like the rest of us...)
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:29 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Misread the title. I imagined someone posting on Facebook or twitter from their deathbed.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

You don't always need Windows software on a Mac.

There are lots of photo editing suites for the Mac that massively undercut Photoshop. Maybe not as full functioned, depends what you want it to do.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

this is what is being suggested to me by a good friend who understands my requirements- then should be able to get a discount and the softwear on it for being such a fabulous friend!

http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/...co=MjEyOTY5MDQ
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

That is what I am typing on now.

The only negative is that the aluminium case edges are pointy, not sharp, just pointy.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:58 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Did you come into some money Kittycat?

A new car and a new laptop?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol lorna- sadly not but things i've been putting off and need to address!

The laptop I literally can't put off anymore as my typing is bad enough when all the keys are working!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
lol lorna- sadly not but things i've been putting off and need to address!

The laptop I literally can't put off anymore as my typing is bad enough when all the keys are working!
It's a pain when things all die at the same time or expenses all come at the same time.

I suppose I'd better shred the begging letter I had ready to send to you
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

8,299/- (about £1,437) at this place, plus free delivery. They'll give you 5% discount just for asking

http://www.alshop.com/apple-macbook-pro-laptop-mc721/
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:06 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Recommend MAC, def worth the extra money.....IMO!
Switched from windoze about 18 months ago.

Never looked back.
If you really want office then the latest version for MAC reviews well, am told it's the first version bilt from scratch as opposed an adapted windoze version.

The migration from windoze is very easy, MAC have a migration assistant.

Check the price at iStyle who are in several malls here. They have assistants who really know what they are talking about and will help / advise you.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:22 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I nearly forgot.
There are rumours on various Apple forums that a new Mac Book Pro is about to be released in the next month or so. Sometimes you can buy old stock at a discount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.