KSA pay-cut

Old Sep 29th 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KSA pay-cut

Originally Posted by lightandbitter2
At about 7 dibs to the £ if I remember
7.6 at one point mate , heartbreaking !
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I seem to remember it hitting 7.5 at one point....
when i came out here in 2008 the exchange rate was fixed in my contract @ 7.33 - based on the current fx rate (4.77) my salary has been hiked up by almost 35%
the other western expats in my office are kicking themselves for not having their salary paid in AED
Old Sep 30th 2016, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
I have no idea who sets the hotel prices in Dubai, and RAK and Fujairah

Checked some hotel prices in RAK for the long weekend, came out to roughly, give and take, 2500-3000 for a 2 night stay with breakfast in a room that is not the bar bones type,...
So thought it was for the long weekend, but somehow, most weekends are that expensive all through October and November ...

Some suite/villa type rooms never come below 3000/night even on weekdays ....

who actually pays that sort of money for rooms?

Dubai hotel apartments are cheap but any proper tourist-oriented 5* hotel will cost you 1000+ for even the most basic room when you take taxes into account ....
we just had friends for Singapore asking us to recommend a nice beachfront family suitable hotel in Dubai for max $300 a night. Wasn't possible.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:58 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

I said it on a previous thread - all the ninjas are here in KL ... and they're still here well after the end of Eid.

We've been here for nearly a month now, staying in a great serviced, one-bedroom apartment with separate lounge, kitchen and dining area (housekeeping every day except Sunday, sheets and towels changed minimum of twice a week, full concierge service, with a pool, gym, spa and residents' lounge on the 22nd floor overlooking KLCC) for roughly the equivalent of AED13,000 including taxes. Yes, you read correctly, that's the cost for a month!

While the number of ninjas has decreased since Eid finished there are still many, many of them here with their sprogs taking advantage of all the sales in the malls.

I'm beginning to wonder why we don't move here ...
Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:00 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
we just had friends for Singapore asking us to recommend a nice beachfront family suitable hotel in Dubai for max $300 a night. Wasn't possible.
For a family hotel apartments are pretty good and keep the cost down. Something like Roda Amwaj Suites| Luxury Serviced Apartments in Dubai which should be in the price range for a 2 bedrooom serviced apartment a few yards from Jumeriah Beach.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 12:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
They are taking the piss because that would only get you a holiday inn room, inland and about 10 minutes walk from a major shopping area, never mind beach, in Singapore
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 12:49 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
I said it on a previous thread - all the ninjas are here in KL ... and they're still here well after the end of Eid.

We've been here for nearly a month now, staying in a great serviced, one-bedroom apartment with separate lounge, kitchen and dining area (housekeeping every day except Sunday, sheets and towels changed minimum of twice a week, full concierge service, with a pool, gym, spa and residents' lounge on the 22nd floor overlooking KLCC) for roughly the equivalent of AED13,000 including taxes. Yes, you read correctly, that's the cost for a month!

While the number of ninjas has decreased since Eid finished there are still many, many of them here with their sprogs taking advantage of all the sales in the malls.

I'm beginning to wonder why we don't move here ...
Definitely cheaper in Malaysia than Middle East, but cheaper still if you don't stay in KL. (eg my 4 storey, 6 bedroom, semi-d is 5k Rm per month in East Malaysia). Gas is cheap, electricity is very expensive (1.3k/month but I like air con). Internet if you can get cable is brilliant. Jobs are hard to get though, as are employment visas (retirement visas require a large deposit but are 10 years - MM2H). A lot of locals are very well educated, hard working though a lot aren't. If you're coming here to work, there's a 21% income tax, import duties on goods are up to 35% plus 6% vat, and cars just make you want to cry. Haze when it comes is literally hazardous to health, though weather is much better than ME. Politics can be awkward and it's just best to be aware but stay away from all of that.
However, we go to Singapore for medical stuff. It's as expensive as the Middle East to stay (and on a ringgit salary!) but the care and quality and availability is a step above KL where cheap is king, even if it is lower quality. Though they have no import duty and tourists get most of the vat back, so we buy big items when we are there (though those that fit in baggage obviously, as we have to fly).
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
when i came out here in 2008 the exchange rate was fixed in my contract @ 7.33 - based on the current fx rate (4.77) my salary has been hiked up by almost 35%
the other western expats in my office are kicking themselves for not having their salary paid in AED
Similar tale here. First came to KSA in 2008 and the exchange rate was over 7, but I was getting paid in UK Sterling straight into a UK Bank, so everything was dirt cheap.

THree years ago, I moved companies and now get paid in SR locally, the exchange rate has gradually fallen, and since Brexit, sending money back home feels like I've had a pay rise.

However, been out here too long now, time to go home soon.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Pound Sterling taking another tumble. It's like another pay rise.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

And now, they're trying to get the Riyals out the Kingdom

Abu Dhabi Customs stops multi-million smuggling plot
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:06 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi Arabia switches to ′Western′ calendar | News | DW.COM | 02.10.2016

Saudi switch from Hijri calendar to Gregorian calendar costs employees 11 days of pay a year
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iggle
Saudi Arabia switches to ′Western′ calendar | News | DW.COM | 02.10.2016

Saudi switch from Hijri calendar to Gregorian calendar costs employees 11 days of pay a year
Seems like the only for doing so was to save money, rather than to try and synchronise with the rest of the world. Does make life a bit easier, as all the 'official' documents are always in Hijri, which means constant converting to Gregorian.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:39 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Seems like the only for doing so was to save money, rather than to try and synchronise with the rest of the world. Does make life a bit easier, as all the 'official' documents are always in Hijri, which means constant converting to Gregorian.
How does it save money? For example you will still only work 365 days a year?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - is this on top of the 20% pay cut?
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
How does it save money? For example you will still only work 365 days a year?
You now work 365 days a year, rather than 354

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.