Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

KSA allow women drivers

KSA allow women drivers

Old Sep 27th 2017, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

missunderstood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: KSA allow women drivers

Hmmm interesting to see people's views on here and dismayed to read the derogatory slurs towards Saudis. I personally have met many Saudis, both in the UK and in Saudi & GCC itself. The people I have met are friendly, down to earth, open minded and wanting to change their country.

What the are the Saudis like that you meet? I am guessing not very nice this is why you have formed an opinion of them being scum. Or are you forming your opinion based on what you read or on brief exchanges with a handful of saudis? I don't know. Enlighten us on why you feel this way about them.

I have to say though, if people don't like the middle eastern ways or the people themselves, then feel free to leave the country. Why work there and then take the piss out of them at the same time?

You're in thier country. They are who they are. Live and let live.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I think it's particularly true here. In casual and formal interactions in public, locals can come off as very off-hand and arrogant-seeming, moreso than most places. We all comment on it all the time. The contrast with their behaviour when they know you is (usually) dramatic.
Fair comment. I wonder if GCC nationals find the same in the UK or elsewhere.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I think it's particularly true here. In casual and formal interactions in public, locals can come off as very off-hand and arrogant-seeming, moreso than most places. We all comment on it all the time. The contrast with their behaviour when they know you is (usually) dramatic.
ask their Indonesian maids
Old Sep 27th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Fair comment. I wonder if GCC nationals find the same in the UK or elsewhere.
I find the same in the UK!... and almost everywhere actually.

Lebbos in Lebanon are great. In the UAE, not so.

Egyptians... ah, no, the rule doesn't apply to them.

I personally quite like Saudis - I understand them. My arab boss hates them with a passion and I have to do all the work there.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Kuwaiti`s, arrogant beyond belief in Kuwait but less so outside.

Saudi`s depends really on the level of exposure they have had to westerners, good and bad , but when it is bad it really is bad!

Qatari`s see Kuwait

Bahraini`s very nice people on the whole

Omani`s again very nice people on the whole.

Emerati`s on the whole quite nice.

Lebbo`s wankers (greased back hair, shiny suits, and pointy shoes uuurrgghh rest my case)

Egyptians snide with hidden agenda`s

N.Africans (Tunisians etc) see Egypt

On the whole the level of education and exposure to westerners/western culture plays a massive part, talk to Saudi pilots who have spent large amounts of time in the US and they usually despair at fellow countrymen`s ignorance.

Also more important is how they view each other, and then that is when it gets interesting, as some really despise others with a passion that would put to shame a Rangers v Celtic Supporters meeting!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, although the Kuwaitis I've met in Kuwait were fine with me.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missunderstood
Hmmm interesting to see people's views on here and dismayed to read the derogatory slurs towards Saudis. I personally have met many Saudis, both in the UK and in Saudi & GCC itself. The people I have met are friendly, down to earth, open minded and wanting to change their country.

What the are the Saudis like that you meet? I am guessing not very nice this is why you have formed an opinion of them being scum. Or are you forming your opinion based on what you read or on brief exchanges with a handful of saudis? I don't know. Enlighten us on why you feel this way about them.

I have to say though, if people don't like the middle eastern ways or the people themselves, then feel free to leave the country. Why work there and then take the piss out of them at the same time?

You're in thier country. They are who they are. Live and let live.
err i don't live in Saudi....and no amount of money could make me want to live/work there....actually i guess we all have our price. I think they are the scum of the earth based on my own interactions with them and from a religious doctrine point of view.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

I have been to Saudi, where thankfully my husband drove - I would sit in the front seat covering my eyes as not only the drivers but also the pedestrians with a death wish were unnerving. I drove in Bahrain and UAE. Saudi is worse than the other two locations put together. Actually, if fewer “other" nationals were on the road the chaos may actually be reduced. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:48 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
err i don't live in Saudi....and no amount of money could make me want to live/work there....actually i guess we all have our price. I think they are the scum of the earth based on my own interactions with them and from a religious doctrine point of view.
Putting aside your own personal experiences, I haven't had much luck with Greeks....

But you're making the classic mistake of confusing the laws governing a country with the people. The two are very different things.

U.K.law has permitted some terrible things over time, but that doesn't make all UK people bad does it.

How much time have you spent in Saudi BTW?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:52 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Work Widow
I have been to Saudi, where thankfully my husband drove - I would sit in the front seat covering my eyes as not only the drivers but also the pedestrians with a death wish were unnerving. I drove in Bahrain and UAE. Saudi is worse than the other two locations put together. Actually, if fewer “other" nationals were on the road the chaos may actually be reduced. Fingers crossed.
Agree with you about the pedestrians. Some people are on a deathwish.
They don't seem to realise that braking at 150kmph requires a bit of distance!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missunderstood
then feel free to leave the country.
Ah yes, the old "If you don't like it leave" argument.

That works doesn't it.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Ah yes, the old "If you don't like it leave" argument.

That works doesn't it.
Well it sort of does. No one is forcing you to stay.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well it sort of does. No one is forcing you to stay.
Brexit and Corbyn and rain are forcing me to stay here.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to put the issue in abayance?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

missunderstood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Brexit and Corbyn and rain are forcing me to stay here.
so corbyn, brexit and rain are much worse than the things you complain about. guess you should be thankful to the middle east for allowing you to be domiciled there then. and no taxes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.