The Ivy

Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:28 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Ivy

Anyone been yet?

Would be interested to hear if it's any good
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ivy

Originally Posted by ctfc
Anyone been yet?

We are going tomorrow night, will let you know.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

danglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nicedanglydavis is just really nice

Was there for the opening last thurs eve. Packed, no celebs. Chairs far too close together (almost back to back), no flash photos (might damage the artwork), no complimentary drinks, turfed out into the lounge straight after afters (nice toffee pud). Mains traditional Ivy, and expensive but prefer the London venue. Go again? Yes.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been yet?

they've done a great job of the restaurant, it's very much in keeping with the ivy in london...the food is good, not great, and definitely not as good as the rivington, but it may improve in time...

it's a big restaurant though, 144 covers compared with 80 in london, and i do wonder whether it will continue to be busy once the hype has died down...emirates towers isn't necessarily the best location for it...

MM, xx
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The Ivy in London is a very ordinary restaurant and has been for a long time , it's basically just a celeb haunt that serves shepards pie and fish and chips .

J Sheekey's or Scotts are the better ones from the Restaurant group . I think the Rivington Grill is also quite ordinary , i can't see the reasoning for two of the same type of restaurants in Dubai but as they say anything goes in the land of the fickle. There's only so much Shepards pie a man can eat in 50 degrees.

Dubai has a lot of good restaurants but not a lot of fantastic ones , you just can't get the choice of produce and freshness to cook at the very very top level.

I ate at Ristoronte at The Armarni Hotel on Friday evening with my wife which while i wasn't expecting too much was very very good , nice place , bit of a different concept than the usual gaudy kitsch Gulf hotels but a nice change.

Sublime Italian food to say the least
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah...it's impressive how much tastier even ordinary meals can be when the ingredients are noticeably fresher and the meat of a better quality. I was blown away by a Lebo restaurant in Kabul and it was because even in Afghanistan the quality of produce is far better than what most restaurants use in Dubai - imported plastic fruit/vegs from Australia or bland locally grown vegs watered with desalinated seawater.

The best bang for your buck in Dubai were the cheapo Indian curries and Pakistani/Persian kebabs. Load on the spices - and for good reasons.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Dubai has a lot of good restaurants but not a lot of fantastic ones , you just can't get the choice of produce and freshness to cook at the very very top level.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
they've done a great job of the restaurant, it's very much in keeping with the ivy in london...the food is good, not great, and definitely not as good as the rivington, but it may improve in time...

it's a big restaurant though, 144 covers compared with 80 in london, and i do wonder whether it will continue to be busy once the hype has died down...emirates towers isn't necessarily the best location for it...

MM, xx
Did you forget how amazing the prawns were?
I liked it, The service needs some polishing but I think the food is good and price wise it is very reasonable.....except perhaps the Eggs Benedict Royale which is 290dhs ....but if you have it without the cavier it is 70dhs
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The Ivy in London is a very ordinary restaurant and has been for a long time , it's basically just a celeb haunt that serves shepards pie and fish and chips .

J Sheekey's or Scotts are the better ones from the Restaurant group . I think the Rivington Grill is also quite ordinary , i can't see the reasoning for two of the same type of restaurants in Dubai but as they say anything goes in the land of the fickle. There's only so much Shepards pie a man can eat in 50 degrees.

I ate at Ristoronte at The Armarni Hotel on Friday evening with my wife which while i wasn't expecting too much was very very good , nice place , bit of a different concept than the usual gaudy kitsch Gulf hotels but a nice change.

Well done for debunking the 'mythic aura' of the Ivy............ more please. I'd also like Nobu to be taken into consideration, m'Lud.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:58 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been yet?

Very average. I doubt we'd go back, prefer Rivington Grill as similar style of food, just better.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well done for debunking the 'mythic aura' of the Ivy............ more please. I'd also like Nobu to be taken into consideration, m'Lud.
Don't get me started on Nobu , 4 slices of Wagyu Kobe Beef for 280 AED ? Nobu at The Metropolitan In Park Lane is pretty good , but the one in Atlantis is a pure rip off , you can eat for half of the price in London's Nobu .

With the availability of really fantastic fresh seafood here in the region places like Nobu just really rip the piss out of the punter. There's even better Sushi to have in Malls here , you pay for the name and the brand but you don't get value for money , Nobu at the Atlantis is a cash cow along with all their other outlets , it's designed to milk the Russian Rouble .

Remember you could eat a 6 course tasting menu with wine flights in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant in London for 90 Quid all in .

You wouldn't get The Wagyu Beef and the Yellow fin Tuna and a bottle of warm Ashai Lager in Nobu for that.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Been to the London one , couldn't agree more...but fancy giving the one out here a go.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree that J Sheekey is much better. Used to love going there.

I love the Metropolitan Hotel in London and really like Nobu. Always had fantastic food and service.

Other London places I love are Chez Bruce, Julies and Scotts.

Over here, have found that whilst places should be good, they sadly are let down. At MPW recently, we ordered the cheese which was delivered directly from the very cold fridge to our table. Brie at fridge temperatures - ghastly. When we commented, we were told it was due to strict food controls in Abu Dhabi! I also was frankly disappointed that the cost of the steak didnt include side dishes and was shocked that six carrots were 35AED!!

I have been hearing good things about Hakkasan at Emirates Palace - anyone been?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:18 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean

I have been hearing good things about Hakkasan at Emirates Palace - anyone been?
Hakkasan is excellent - similar feel to the one in London and many of the same items on the menu, tea smoked wagyu ribs are superb, chilli dishes have real spice not the insipid stuff you often get here.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

It's very hard to transport and recreate the whole home city restaurant concept to the Gulf , there's a few who do quite well , Ramsey at Verre and Gary Rhodes they're very consistent with their product.

There's obviously ones which just see at as an outlet for profit with very little input such as Locatelli at the Atlantis . I think people are a bit more wise now and they do want value for money plus a good standard of food and service .

You're better off with a Local Fish curry from Bur Dubai with freshly made Paratha's , great value and great food....
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You're better off with a Local Fish curry from Bur Dubai with freshly made Paratha's , great value and great food....
Not if you don't like fish curry or Bur Dubai