Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Insuring a car in the UK

Insuring a car in the UK

Old Mar 6th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insuring a car in the UK

Originally Posted by MogPat
I've been checking this out today as I am about to try and apply to be an Italian resident before Article 50 is triggered but need to spend a significant amount of time in the UK over the next six months. I'm told (by Co-op) I can be insured as a named driver in a car insured by my husband (UK resident) for an unlimited time as long as it is on my UK license.
I also just checked with DVLA and they've said there's no need to relinquish my UK license and should be able to drive in Italy using it until I decide to swap it for an Italian one.
But surely by law as soon as you do become a Italian resident then you are required to get an Italian licence..... and at that point you legally need to relinquish your UK one.....

Also, if you become an Italian resident and then spend 6 months in the UK will you then not become liable for UK income tax?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

MogPat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you for replying, maybe I need to look into it further re the license I didn't realise Italian law would require me to relinquish my UK one.
I realise I might have to pay tax in both places for a short overlap but it's a risk I feel worth taking to try and get a residency permit in place right now.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Latest I've heard is that I would have up to two years to relinquish my license but haven't verified that through any official channels. Not much help to anyone, sorry.
You can tell I'm a newbie round here (and to forums in general).
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Latest I've heard is that I would have up to two years to relinquish my license but haven't verified that through any official channels. Not much help to anyone, sorry.
You can tell I'm a newbie round here (and to forums in general).
That may well be correct from an Italian requirement but as far as I am aware (I could be wrong) as soon as you become a resident of a different country you should relinquish your UK licence. I'm not sure how this works 'if' you aren't required to get a licence from your new country (as it is not a requirement or not immediately as you state). This may be a non issue as they are (currently) both EU countries.

The problem with all this is that its a potential minefield. You check out what you can and cannot do, ask the questions, get advice and do your best to be legal only to get into a crash and then find out the insurance company aren't willing to pay out over some technicality.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Yep totally agree with you re potential minefield.
I did get it confirmed by DVLA in the UK yesterday that there isn't a requirement as far as they are concerned to give up my UK license so it just depends how it pans out in Italy.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yep totally agree with you re potential minefield
This topic has been discussed on this forum (just in the MIddle East section) more times than I can remember with people having various experiences and views on the rules.

If I were you, I'd get any responses / clarifications in writing from the likes of the DVLA or other bodies / insurers etc.

I think forever it will be one of life's mysteries.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an extract from the DVLA licence renewal application form:
"I declare that I am resident in the UK and understand that it is a criminal offence to make a false declaration to get a driving licence and that to do so can lead to prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to two years imprisonment. I also understand that failing to provide information is an offence and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1000."
OK, so this is for a renewal, but unless you are resident in UK for at least 6 months of the year the inference is that your UK licence is invalid if you do NOT reside in the UK but use a UK address. Now, we all know folks who keep their UK licence "Valid" by using a UK address but if you have a prang then the insurance company will check and if you are found to be non resident then you may well have problems!You can always apply for the re-issue of your UK licence if you go back to UK. There is no way i'd risk renting a car in UK using my old UK licence , I'd just use my local one. The car rental company may not check - other than getting the authorisation number from DVLA - and even then they would not know you are not resident unless you told them. Again, it will only be when you have an accident etc that you may get caught out.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I tried renting using my UK licence years ago (before I was made aware of the issues) and the guy had issues as they now need to do a check on your registered address and see that you are on the electoral role / have utility bills or whatever. Obviously I didn't as I was using my mums address as my postal address. He asked me if I had another licence and I said I did. He smiled and said this is much easier as there are no checks to be done. I've never used my UK one since. In fact I think it expired a few years ago now that you have to update the photo every 10yrs.

Also, as I've mentioned previously, I've never had a speeding fine get back to me on my UAE licence in over 8yrs of using it.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:54 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
...but unless you are resident in UK for at least 6 months of the year the inference is that your UK licence is invalid if you do NOT reside in the UK but use a UK address.

How'd you arrive at that conclusion? Is there a statutory definition that DVLC are obliged to follow?