Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

HSBC appear to believe that I am funding the Iranian regime...

HSBC appear to believe that I am funding the Iranian regime...

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:27 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default HSBC appear to believe that I am funding the Iranian regime...

Approximately June 2015, I was in the process of hiring a maid. I contacted a Dubai-based travel agency who were able to arrange for me a fresh tourist visa and flights to Kish Island and back, to give me enough time to process the maids visa paperwork. This method of visa trip is quite a common one, I am led to believe.

I was given the bank details of the tourist agency, Emirates NBD as I recall, so I could transfer the funds to them. I set up 2 payments. One for the visa, and one for the flights. In the comments section of HSBC’s Domestic Money Transfer system, I noted the name of the passenger and route that the monies related to for the flight monies. The visa payment went straight thru, however, the flights one did not.

After a couple of days of waiting for the monies to arrive and numerous phone calls to HSBC enquiring on where the money had gone, as it had been debited immediately from my account, but had not arrived in the payee’s account, I eventually found out that HSBC were unwilling to process the payment, because Kish Island is part of Iran.

Bemused that HSBC couldn’t tell the difference between paying someone in UAE for a flight, and me funding the Iranians, I walked into a branch of bank the travel company used and paid it via their counter services.

Fast forward to January of this year. On January 28th, I received an email from HSBC asking the following questions.

• The above transaction was not passed through your HSBC account, how did you pay for the tickets?
• If it was a cash transaction, was the amount withdrawn from HSBC Bank Account?
• Do you have any other Bank account in UAE other than HSBC?

After advising HSBC of my amazement that this was still an issue, and them advising me they took these matters very seriously (although not serious enough to ask the questions until 7 months after the fact), I provided the answers to their questions, those answers being;
• Cash
• No
• No

I promptly received a clarification question, where I was advised upon receipt of the answers, this would conclude the matter. These clarification questions were;
• Was the cash in hand (wallet) at that time withdrawn from your HSBC account?
• If no, kindly advise the source of these funds

To which I replied;
• No.
• Business Expenses paid via petty cash by my employer.

Now, somewhere is the middle of this to-and-fro’ing, HSBC advised me that, being a responsible institution, they were within their rights to take whatever actions they considered appropriate to meet any obligations, either in the Country or elsewhere in the world, relating to the prevention of fraud, money laundering and terrorist activity and the provision of financial and other services to persons who may be subject to sanctions.

It would appear that they felt the appropriate action to take, 7 months after the attempted flight ticket payment, was to deny me access to all my banking options, bar using my ATM and credit cards. I cannot even make an online payment to HSBC to pay my credit cards..!!
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC appear to believe that I am funding the Iranian regime...

All complaints should be addressed to Uncle Sam, who is behind all this.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

AUH_Eng is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TGFKASE

relating to the prevention of fraud
Best way to prevent fraud is to avoid HSBC and bank elsewhere

Last edited by AUH_Eng; Mar 3rd 2016 at 9:50 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

so are you saying your bank account has been blocked?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:32 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
so are you saying your bank account has been blocked?
The only access I have to my accounts is via ATM and Credit Cards. Credit cards I cannot make a payment on, which rules them out....
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i bank with HSBC (over here) and have my mortgage back home with them..... and back home if i have any issues they are awesome in sorting it out (but then customer service back home, compares to nothing back here).....over here i think they are the world's shittest bank
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 4:59 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by mission
i bank with HSBC (over here) and have my mortgage back home with them..... and back home if i have any issues they are awesome in sorting it out (but then customer service back home, compares to nothing back here).....over here i think they are the world's shittest bank
Agree 100%... The one reason I have for staying with them is the fact that it is so easy to do the internet banking, both here and via Global Banking, and not have to deal with the branches here....

This situation being a case in point....
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
All complaints should be addressed to Uncle Sam, who is behind all this.
Here's 1.9 billion reasons why HSBC will do as Uncle Sam tells them. The next fine will be larger.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

have you secretly being buying Iranian Arms for the Scottish Liberation Army?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 3:32 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
have you secretly being buying Iranian Arms for the Scottish Liberation Army?
Do they come in packs of 1 or 2? Dunno how many thieves the Ayatollah has sentenced, and what the current sentencing is...
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Do they come in packs of 1 or 2? Dunno how many thieves the Ayatollah has sentenced, and what the current sentencing is...
if it cuts the price of haggis you won't care what the source is. Guess it will be Halal as well
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:09 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Thing is, I cant make payments anywhere, without walking into a branch. And not even then, coz some jumped up bitch tells me she will 'determine' whether they can be paid or not...

Fu(k, I hate HSBC with a passion right now...

And all for a flight to Kish Island, FFS!!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, I cant make payments anywhere, without walking into a branch. And not even then, coz some jumped up bitch tells me she will 'determine' whether they can be paid or not...

Fu(k, I hate HSBC with a passion right now...

And all for a flight to Kish Island, FFS!!!!!
Like Scot47 said, it's the long shadow of Uncle Sam.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

TGKKASE, check your email.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by Meow
TGFKASE, check your email.
Received and responded, Meow...

There is an extra-special catnip treat in it for you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.