British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   How much can you drink? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/how-much-can-you-drink-905112/)

DXBtoDOH Oct 26th 2017 7:40 am

How much can you drink?

Before you topple over?

I can have two beers easily. End of the second beer there's a slight buzz.

Third beer can send me over the edge. Definitely feeling a bit woozy. Will wake up next morning with a slight headache.

Fourth beer is hangover territory.

Similar with wine. Two glasses is fine. More than that it gets complicated.

What about you? Who on here can drink the most and still drive home?

Brains1983 Oct 26th 2017 7:57 am

Re: How much can you drink?

I'm turning into a lightweight as I approach middle age. In my 20s, I used to be out 5 days a week approaching double figures pints (I only drink beer), and be up sober and ready for work at 7am. Now, anything more than 3 or 4 pints and I'm going to sleep in.

Not daft enough to drive here under the influence!

TheShed Oct 26th 2017 8:11 am

I can do 3-4 pints on a school night with no repercussions and 6-8 on a weekend night with food.

Would never drink drive anywhere, and especially not here!

BEVS Oct 26th 2017 8:21 am

I can dog a bottle of wine down my neck and still appear & be fine.
Husband can do about three bottles of beer, then snores.

I never, ever drink drive. Never. Ever.

An RTA changed the course of my life. Not down to me. Not down to drink driving. Was sh!t then and still is 40 yrs on.

You drive? Do not drink.
You are tired. Do not drive.
You think speed is fun. Do it somewhere by yourself, off road.
You like to play cat and mouse. Weave in and out coz it makes you feel clever , swift, right on it , penile. **** right off. People die.
People like me get to have our lives changed.

mission Oct 26th 2017 8:53 am

i can easily knock back several large g&t's....i only ever have doubles....singles are pointless.
With me no matter how drunk i get i know exactly what i'm doing at the time....but then the next day it will be a total blur:blink:
I only drink g&t's....don't mind doing shots as the g&t starts to kick in:p

Dubaiexile Oct 26th 2017 9:12 am

It really depends from session to session, mostly 8-10 pints on an evening one and still compus...bloody afternoon drinking catches up on me quick though..also depends on the company etc etc....if you are having good conversation and a laugh perhaps more!!

Shorts only at home, vodka or scotch!

Christ sound like a piss head!! But I must say only visit the boozer about twice a week!!

DXBtoDOH Oct 26th 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12368825)
It really depends from session to session, mostly 8-10 pints on an evening one and still compus...bloody afternoon drinking catches up on me quick though..also depends on the company etc etc....if you are having good conversation and a laugh perhaps more!!

Shorts only at home, vodka or scotch!

Christ sound like a piss head!! But I must say only visit the boozer about twice a week!!

8-10 pints? How do you manage?

Gavtek Oct 26th 2017 9:59 am

Strangely, the more I mix my drinks, the longer I last (excluding red wine).

I've never found my limit with beer as my bladder seems to go after 3 pints.

I tend to migrate to rum & cokes after 2 beers (3 if it's bottles), then after 3/4 of those, onto straight brandy/whisky if it's a proper session.

jam25mack Oct 26th 2017 11:27 am

No where near as much as when I was in my 20's. I drank a **** tonee back then so my tolerance was off the scales.

Now....

Beer - a shed load. 8+ pints in an evening and many many bottles over a day sesion.

Wine - 3 bottles is my ultimate limit. I found this out during a camping trip last year. Finished the 3rd and my legs decided they didn't like me.

Spirits - G&T, literally until the cows come home. Rum, quite a bit. Anything else, meh, not really interested.

As for hangovers.... it totally depends. I can have 5 pints and be up and sharp the next day and then othertimes I can have 2 and I know I've had them the day after.

After a serious all day (brunch +afters) session I get the boozy blues the day after and am pretty much useless at everything...... including forming a cohesive sentance. The day after that I am better but I still feel a bit dodgy.

Bahtatboy Oct 26th 2017 11:38 am

Haven't been falling-down or incoherent drunk for decades. Ditto throwing up. Beer prob 8-10 pints. Red wine 3rd bottle becomes a struggle. But if I pause for an hour or so I get a second wind and can do another 50%. Feel like shit in bed, poor sleep, wake up feeling shite but usually ok by mid-morning. As they say, the first 50 years of adolescent are the worst.

DXBtoDOH Oct 26th 2017 11:54 am

I'm genuinely impressed. I must not have the lucky genes.

Dubaiexile Oct 26th 2017 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12368827)
8-10 pints? How do you manage?

Mate once I have been for one visit to the loo I am like a bloody yo-yo....crack that seal and I might as well stay in there!!!

TheShed Oct 26th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12368905)

It’s all about training and experience. Yes, I have a golf ball bladder after 4 pints but I reckon that the next 4+ pints are just adding to my daily steps and auto cancel out. :). Drink more, keep fit.

Bahtatboy Oct 26th 2017 3:55 pm

My sidekick -- about 1/2 my age and Korean -- gets bladdered on about 7 pints or 2 bottles of wine, all wobbly and slurred speech, then gets up at 5 am for a workout. The bastard. Now that's lucky genes...

Irishbeekeeper Oct 26th 2017 4:03 pm

Why on earth do you want to have more in the system to get to that point?
consider yourself the lucky one here who can get that buzz in a small time / money without burdening the body / liver with too much to do mate

I have done my fair share of college years blur so got that out of the system I guess. Havent puked in over a decade, I hate it! It sort of defeats the purpose of it all you know. 4 pints is my maximum as I never mix food with beer, and yes its only beer, except for those girly drinks, like watermelon / lime vodka types (yeah yeah yeah!) I like them :thumbsup:
I have a system where I manage to finish up a bottle of water during the night without really waking up to do it, so by morning time I am hydrated enough to function properly AND bursting at the seams as well, so no hangovers.
Driving while. Well, I am not proud of it, but used to do it a lot in Pakistan. Honestly, and this is not a defense of it but, I never knew it could have serious consequences as there is no, and I mean no real awareness like ad campaigns etc of any kind to reach young men to educate them that is so so dangerous. I guess I got stupid lucky that I didnt die or kill anyone in those years (came very very close on the bike a few times though)
Would never even think about doing it now, here or anywhere for that matter, already have a lot of guilt to deal with as it is, dont need anymore ffs :rofl: