Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

How much alcohol does it take for you to have a hangover?

How much alcohol does it take for you to have a hangover?

Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much alcohol does it take for you to have a hangover?

Just wondering.

Went to Lock, Stock and Barrel for their happy hour on Thursday. Two drinks for the price of one till 8. By the time I left at 10 I'd had four beers.

Woke up Friday morning not with a full hangover but that slight persistent headache. Went for a cycle in an attempt to sweat it out, didn't work. Altogether it wasn't bad but it did slow me down for the day, leaving me lazy by the pool and was an irritating reminder why I don't like to drink too much.

So my tolerance line is probably three beers before a hangover looms. Five would definitely send me right over the edge.

Had me wondering how much do you have to drink before you get a hangover the next day? I know it varies as I know people who can down half a dozen drinks and be fine the next day, while others have two drinks and are are laid out flat the next morning. And I suppose it depends on the alcohol. Gin, for example, can lead to a nasty hangover.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:45 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much alcohol does it take for you to have a hangover?

Depends on alot of things,

What time i am getting up, what food have i ate, how dehydrated I am before drinking, how long the hangover last, did i vomit all the booze out (Like i did on Thursday!)

Safe/Work Zone

1-4 drinks no hangover

Work Next Day Will be Groggy
4-6 drinks, will have a headache

Will get up for work, will wake up at 7am, mad rush to work, will need Luozade to survive and pasty
6-8 Drinks, will be a zombie.

No point going to Work
8 on wards

Will have a hangover for the next 2 days
8plus drinks, plus i will no doubt be doing jagerbombs at 6am in the morning.

My drinking style has changed dramatically since moving to UAE. In the UK I would strictly only drink on a Saturday night after rugby (and get utterly hammered, doing jager bombs at 7am, and having a hangover still on Tuesday), and not once during the week. Also if i didn't go out on Sat night, i wouldn't drink that week, so some times i didn't drink at months at a time. Now come to the UAE, i would say i drink 4 times of the week, but only 1 beer/cider. So i am drinking less but more regularly.

Edit

Further on from the question, I did put on the Abu Dhabi stone when i moved here (I put this directly on to the alcohol consumption) As my food intake is reasonably healthy. I did tear my Achilles, but I was still exercising.

Last edited by iggle; Jul 31st 2016 at 5:48 am.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Totally depends with me! Sometimes I can be out all day (brunch, bar, club, after party) and drink an absolute boat load and be fine, other times I can have 3 and feel it the day after.

I have tried to figure out my hangovers for years but haven't ever managed it. Sometimes a beer I have drunk for years as a regular tipple just becomes like kriptonite to me - Stella for instance, drank it for years and then boom it kills me now. Horribly I think Tiger is going down the same route. I can drink dark rum and gin until the cows come home tho. This seems to be a family thing tho.

Generally you're meant to stick to the clear spirits as there's less additives, vodka is meant to be best. Personally I am not a fan of the darker ones anyway, whisky, whiskey, bourbon, brandies etc.... eeeeeuuuugggghhhh!

My brunch drink of choice these days is white wine, gets me merry and mischievous! I always have a good time!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:55 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
My brunch drink of choice these days is white wine, gets me merry and mischievous! I always have a good time!
Is this when you play for the other team...It's only gay if you push back.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly drink due to hangovers - now, it really depends, sometimes 3 bottles and I will feel it, sometimes it takes 10 or more. 4 seems to be enough to create a slow day.

Full on shaking mcdonalds at 3pm hangovers are rare - I just don't get into that situation anymore.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I rarely drink during the week and very rarely at home. Haven't had beer in the house for a year or so. Purely because otherwise I will have 2 or 3 cans a night and end up getting fat. I have loads of spirits in the cupboard but am not fussed with them.

Funnily enough though, when I was in the UK last I had a few stags & weddings and drank a lot. Not once did I have what I would consider a decent hangover which I seem to get quite often here..... was told by a chap the other day that he'd heard rumours that a lot of the booze sold in the shops up in UAQ, RAK etc is might be fake.... dunno how true that is tho... looks legit to me.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iggle
Is this when you play for the other team...It's only gay if you push back.
That's the second time you have written that line in a week.... are you trying to tell us something Iggle? Are all these Ruskies with big bazookas actually called Boris?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I hardly drink due to hangovers - now, it really depends, sometimes 3 bottles and I will feel it, sometimes it takes 10 or more. 4 seems to be enough to create a slow day.

Full on shaking mcdonalds at 3pm hangovers are rare - I just don't get into that situation anymore.
I hate hangovers more than i like going out now. I am getting old!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:05 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iggle
Depends on alot of things,

What time i am getting up, what food have i ate, how dehydrated I am before drinking, how long the hangover last, did i vomit all the booze out (Like i did on Thursday!)

Safe/Work Zone

1-4 drinks no hangover

Work Next Day Will be Groggy
4-6 drinks, will have a headache

Will get up for work, will wake up at 7am, mad rush to work, will need Luozade to survive and pasty
6-8 Drinks, will be a zombie.

No point going to Work
8 on wards

Will have a hangover for the next 2 days
8plus drinks, plus i will no doubt be doing jagerbombs at 6am in the morning.

My drinking style has changed dramatically since moving to UAE. In the UK I would strictly only drink on a Saturday night after rugby (and get utterly hammered, doing jager bombs at 7am, and having a hangover still on Tuesday), and not once during the week. Also if i didn't go out on Sat night, i wouldn't drink that week, so some times i didn't drink at months at a time. Now come to the UAE, i would say i drink 4 times of the week, but only 1 beer/cider. So i am drinking less but more regularly.

Edit

Further on from the question, I did put on the Abu Dhabi stone when i moved here (I put this directly on to the alcohol consumption) As my food intake is reasonably healthy. I did tear my Achilles, but I was still exercising.
Absolutely accurate , If you want to avoid a hangover altogether , have only 3 drinks on a full stomach . but it is easier said than done because once you down the third drink , a fourth will be so logical and necessary somehow
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Brunch at 12 then continue to 8pm, then bed by 9:30pm, no or mild hangover. Out at 7pm-1am = baggage the next day.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

KJinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point

The older I get, the less it takes. But the older I get, the more I need it. Unhealthy indeed.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was drunk, I was 10, shared a full, lemonade, bottle of home made cider with a friend, was found by my mother hanging onto the door and saying I didn't feel well !!!!
NEVER been drunk since, well at least not had a hangover. Worse night drinking was at a friends house, we were staying there, and him and me got through a bottle of malt whisky. I was fine in the morning, and even when I was in Russia at a party, drinking vodka shots as toasts during the meal was OK, though I lost count after the 10th.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I never get a hangover, i stay drunk.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Last time I was drunk, I was 10, shared a full, lemonade, bottle of home made cider with a friend, was found by my mother hanging onto the door and saying I didn't feel well !!!!
NEVER been drunk since, well at least not had a hangover. Worse night drinking was at a friends house, we were staying there, and him and me got through a bottle of malt whisky. I was fine in the morning, and even when I was in Russia at a party, drinking vodka shots as toasts during the meal was OK, though I lost count after the 10th.
I don't think we are the same definition of drunk.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Liz Jones on a friend she can always rely on, a bottle of wine a day....

Daily Fail

One of the comments:-

‘I have a gin and tonic, then a bottle of wine, and I always put Night Nurse on the bedside table for when I wake at 4am, to knock me out again.’
Night Nurse??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.