How long before...

Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:38 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long before...

...you actually take heed of the "PLEASE EVACUATE THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY" plus klaxon of your building's fire alarm system? Mine goes off at least once a week (that I know of), and usually stops after less than a minute. Last night (at about 4am) it went on for about 5 mins--I was just about to set off for 88 flights of stairs when it stopped.

What's perhaps really worrying is how the alarm was turned off...
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before...

88 flights of stairs as in the 44th floor? Is it possible to get one of those keys that operate the fireman's lift (if that exists in your building?).
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
88 flights of stairs as in the 44th floor? Is it possible to get one of those keys that operate the fireman's lift (if that exists in your building?).
Correctomundo.
Haven't seen a fireman's lift (thought that was a sex position), but I bet the normal lifts would still be operating. Would be tempting to use one
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:54 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

reason no. 434 of why i dont live in an apartment block

a couple of weeks ago we were in dubai mall when the alarms were going off, everybody ignored them and on speaking to security it was clear they had no idea what was going on, turned out there actually was a fire.........doesnt bear thinking about really
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:09 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Correctomundo.
Haven't seen a fireman's lift (thought that was a sex position), but I bet the normal lifts would still be operating. Would be tempting to use one
It may also be a sex position but I don't tend to have sex with firemen. What I meant was one normal lift sometimes has a outer recall that overrides the fire alarm recall to the ground floor. (if they are recalled)
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:13 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
reason no. 434 of why i dont live in an apartment block

a couple of weeks ago we were in dubai mall when the alarms were going off, everybody ignored them and on speaking to security it was clear they had no idea what was going on, turned out there actually was a fire.........doesnt bear thinking about really
Especially when you consider what happened at Villagio in Doha.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:56 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to consider what time it goes off. If it's around dinner time, I'll wait because chances are it's one of my inconsiderate neighbours not closing their kitchen door as they're cooking.

However, if it's in the morning, then I'll probably pop out of bed at the very least and go and see if there's smoke inside or outside the building.

Way I figure it is, if there's no smoke, I can wait five minutes.

But I'm moving to a ground floor apartment in five days, so no more concerns about that for me.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

I've been 2.5 years in the same apartment and the fire alarm has never once gone off, or for that matter been tested or checked (certainly the detectors no my apartment haven't) as far as I know. On that basis if it did start I'd probably get out reasonable sharpish.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I tend to consider what time it goes off. If it's around dinner time, I'll wait because chances are it's one of my inconsiderate neighbours not closing their kitchen door as they're cooking.

However, if it's in the morning, then I'll probably pop out of bed at the very least and go and see if there's smoke inside or outside the building.

Way I figure it is, if there's no smoke, I can wait five minutes.

But I'm moving to a ground floor apartment in five days, so no more concerns about that for me.
Ground floor apartment?? You're right - no need to worry about fires etc......

........ just burglars.........
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:17 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

If I was on the 44th, I'd bring a book and just wait in the stairwell until it was obvious it was going to keep going. Just in case it was real.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:09 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ground floor apartment?? You're right - no need to worry about fires etc......

........ just burglars.........
True, but the top of the balcony's edge is a good 8ft off the floor.

Plus, burglars? In Dubai? Pfft
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I've had it once. I'm on 41st floor. Alarm went off, started going down stairs and it took me a full 4.5 minutes to get to level 25 before it stopped.

Kids smashing alarms. *****