How fat are we?

Old Dec 14th 2015, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default How fat are we?

I found this interesting... Not only are we porky as a nation, we underestimate how fat we are. I must admit, I was shocked at the size of the UK population on my last visit - body shapes are really changing.

(obviously the Saudis lead on both fatness and denial.)

Old Dec 14th 2015, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How fat are we?

Presumably that's the % of overwright Saudi nationals. I can't imagine that many of the poor buggers working there are overweight - which probably explains the discrepancy in perceptions as well?
Old Dec 14th 2015, 4:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably that's self-perception, ie how fat Brits think other Brits are.

And how do they measure? BMI, no doubt, which is largely bollocks.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Dec 14th 2015 at 4:21 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Ah, the good old BMI is bollocks argument. Everyone's got a milkman's cousin who's an Olympic weightlifter, who, get this, BMI says is obese. What larks! But seriously how can anyone use such an archaic system?!?

Thing is, for the vast majority of people BMI is a perfectly servicable tool

Does BMI say I'm overweight or obese? YES/NO

If NO - fair enough but I should probably eat better and do more exercise
If YES - Am I professional rugby player? YES/NO

If YES - Well done Black Swan
If NO - You're a fattie

BMI isn't a medical tool. But it is a simple and clear mechanism to tell Joe Public he should think about his weight. He can plug his numbers in the website and the chances are that if BMI says he's too fat, then he really is too fat. Especially given that he's almost certainly under reported his weight and over reported his height when he filled in the form.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 2:43 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

I've got well fat since moving to Abu Dhabi. I tore my achillies so that didn't help as well. I just find in UAE, there is loads to do but it's all centred and food and drink. Anyway, I digest. I've not been back to UK for a good 18months and returned in Novemer, in Exeter I found I barely saw any fat people. Like a massive cultural shift. I am from Coventry, and thats whale hunters heaven.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Presumably that's self-perception, ie how fat Brits think other Brits are.

And how do they measure? BMI, no doubt, which is largely bollocks.
it's self perception vs. actual.

i.e. actual is 60% vs. 40% perception

The underestimation is a cultural shift. Seeing lots of one type normalises it and only the real out-layers are seen as wrong. That's the point - that seems to have been missed.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iggle
I've got well fat since moving to Abu Dhabi. I tore my achillies so that didn't help as well. I just find in UAE, there is loads to do but it's all centred and food and drink. Anyway, I digest. I've not been back to UK for a good 18months and returned in Novemer, in Exeter I found I barely saw any fat people. Like a massive cultural shift. I am from Coventry, and thats whale hunters heaven.
you're just looking in the wrong places. There is a sporting competition every weekend here you could enroll in and world-class sporting facilities all over the place.

I'd say its much much easier to be fit here than in the UK - it is also much much easier to be unfit. Both options are catered for.

I go to the midlands. Everyone is overweight.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I've got well fat since moving to Abu Dhabi. I tore my achillies so that didn't help as well. I just find in UAE, there is loads to do but it's all centred and food and drink.
No way. The combination of guaranteed sun and a benign, mostly warm sea mean that there's a gazillion healthy things to do:

Just off the top of my head, how about:
sea-based: swimming, sailing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, kayaking, paddleboarding, wakeboarding, waterskiing
land-based: running, cycling, climbing, hiking
sports: football, tennis, basketball

Pick any of these and I guarantee there's a group that goes out at least once a week, mostly with limited or no membership fees.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:22 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

True but how many people actually go to them. Anyway, I've def put weight on since moving here.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you are inclined to be athletic prior to moving to the UAE, you are not likely to gain weight for the reasons already mentioned.

If you are inclined not to be athletic, then you will gain weight because it's more sedentary, you drive all the time and your social life will revolve around eating and drinking.

I love food but never gained weight in the UAE and I'm active outdoors year-round.

As for UK, I read some time ago that the typical Briton in the 1970s had a more calorific diet but the obesity levels were much lower. Today the diet is less calorific but obesity has soared. I blame it on the sedentary lifestyle. We walk less and that seems to be the big difference for most people.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
As for UK, I read some time ago that the typical Briton in the 1970s had a more calorific diet but the obesity levels were much lower. Today the diet is less calorific but obesity has soared. I blame it on the sedentary lifestyle. We walk less and that seems to be the big difference for most people.
I also blame the massive uptick in sugar consumption in the form of low-fat foods.

I typically put on weight when I'm in the UK, and lose it when I come back to UAE.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True but how many people actually go to them. Anyway, I've def put weight on since moving here.

The Nike 10k had 17,000 people, even the little 10k events every month have at least 500 or so.

Oh, and I agree - running sucks.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah, but what does a vegan who does crossfit tell you about first?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

2 more children and working has seen me put on 4 kgs, even though I was already 8kgs overweight (that I had never got round to losing after getting married). Even though I play tennis 5 hours a week and swim for one nothing shifts. I have now turned to gymra on YouTube to try to do little bursts on nights in or mornings before I leave.

Photos ( I. E. The reality of me) are, frankly depressing.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente

Photos ( I. E. The reality of me) are, frankly depressing.
Don't say that.

My Dad's a boom boom, proper fatty. But he came here after my Step Mum died and went for a full whack health check. Doctor told him his lung capacity is amongst the biggest he's ever seen and his heart is 8yrs younger than he is.

He (and I) were both pretty amazed. The doc told him that yes, losing some tub will certainly help but as long as he kept his swimming and walking up to maintain a healthy heart, he'd be doing no wrong.

So all your tennis and swimming and shit is making sure you're a healthy Harriet on the inside and that's the shit that counts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.