Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Girlfriends birthday...

Girlfriends birthday...

Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Girlfriends birthday...

...I need some serious help with this shit.

Two issues;

1. Presents;

While I've got some good ideas as we've been together a little while, she is about as fussy and a human can get. So far i've got some basic ideas and she's asked for one thing that's quite expensive, but want to get her something lush. She's just moved here so thinking maybe a massive picture / print / canvas because she's mentioned that a few times....anyone know any good places I can buy one? I think a friend is making her one, so I just want to buy her one but all I've seen are smaller ones for 1000's of dizzers, or bigger ones that I'd like for AED F**k off I'm not paying that.

Any other ideas welcomed, this worries me less because idea's will come but suggestions are useful....

2. Birthday Weekend;

We're busy with friends etc.

Weekend before birthday is my chance to do something nice with her....but I'm struggling to find a hotel that doesn't demand a passport / UAE ID. Both our passports are being processed for visa's so have no UAE ID yet.

Also, prices for hotels are extortionate (not that I think I can stay in one). Montgomerie for a night and for both of us to pay 18 holes is over £500.

Another idea is a hotel for the day, she went to Jebel Ali and LOVED it, can anyone suggest one that's even better? Want to chill on the beach / by the pool, drink, have a brunch / lunch, chill and carry on into the night no doubt.

Any other day trip ideas? I know she'd fancy skiing, and Aquaventure but they just seem a bit shit for a birthday. I'd like to play golf with her, which is why Jebel Ali seemed good as it's only 9 holes and she's not played in a while....but she's been there.

God this shit is tough.

Idea's for issue 2 will be most gratefully received because I'm going round in circles.

Oh, and it's for this weekend...

Thanks

SweatypalmScamp
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriends birthday...

I've PM'd you regarding Q1.

Every decent hotel will require passport ID, but if you have copies of them (& I hope you do) then you may be able to arrange with the hotel to accept the copies if you explain why you don't have the original. You'll need to find someone in authority though. It can be done.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the "oil on canvas" paintings at Dragonmart from Dhs75-500 according to size and quality. No better selection anywhere in town.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Have a look at the "oil on canvas" paintings at Dragonmart from Dhs75-500 according to size and quality. No better selection anywhere in town.
Once a cheapskate, always a cheapskate, eh? You'd be hard pressed to find any pictures of merit in Dragonmart.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

scot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura about

I'm taking mine to Burj for something to eat in the skybar, and to atlantis to stay, and do the dolphin carry on before the Sandance party if she likes aquaventures that should be decent for you's, is like 600 AED per person for dolphins.

I've my passport, but Atlantis have said they will accept a colour copy of hers.

Last edited by scot-ish; Oct 11th 2011 at 9:16 am.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:36 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

For yourself, please, please get a copy of this: [Avoiding rampant apostrophe abuse]

For present: there's a superb little art gallery just off Beach Road which has some beautiful stuff http://www.liveworkexplore.com/dubai...rt-centre_1713

For birthday: skip the present and check in to Al Qasr for the weekend - fabulous, best beach in Dubai and all round superb hotel. And you get free entry to Wild Wadi. They will accept colour photocopy of passport (not B&W), though worth ringing ahead to confirm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Once a cheapskate, always a cheapskate, eh? You'd be hard pressed to find any pictures of merit in Dragonmart.
Have you looked recently? You may be pleasantly surprised. I know several Emirati company owners who buy their corporate artwork from there.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by ctfc
For yourself, please, please get a copy of this: [Avoiding rampant apostrophe abuse]

For present: there's a superb little art gallery just off Beach Road which has some beautiful stuff http://www.liveworkexplore.com/dubai...rt-centre_1713

For birthday: skip the present and check in to Al Qasr for the weekend - fabulous, best beach in Dubai and all round superb hotel. And you get free entry to Wild Wadi. They will accept colour photocopy of passport (not B&W), though worth ringing ahead to confirm.
ill life wiv makeing the od mistayk on internet 4rum bt thanks for the info.

That aside, Al Qasr is a good shout. I will investigate and see what I can do about passport etc.

Looking on that website now - thank you.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Slippers and a dildo.

I'm sure you know the joke.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you find sexual innuendos tiresome after a while?

We know these two are healthy young adults with the appetites of healthy young adults. Of course they're going to have sex. Why crack jokes about it?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Slippers and a dildo.

I'm sure you know the joke.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

We know these two are healthy young adults with the appetites of healthy young adults. Of course they're going to have sex. Why crack jokes about it?
you obviously don't know the joke.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

hello Victor Mature
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

onmywaytomilan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Scamp

Two issues;

1. Presents;

While I've got some good ideas as we've been together a little while, she is about as fussy and a human can get. So far i've got some basic ideas and she's asked for one thing that's quite expensive, but want to get her something lush. She's just moved here so thinking maybe a massive picture / print / canvas because she's mentioned that a few times....anyone know any good places I can buy one? I think a friend is making her one, so I just want to buy her one but all I've seen are smaller ones for 1000's of dizzers, or bigger ones that I'd like for AED F**k off I'm not paying that.

Any other ideas welcomed, this worries me less because idea's will come but suggestions are useful....

2. Birthday Weekend;

Weekend before birthday is my chance to do something nice with her....but I'm struggling to find a hotel that doesn't demand a passport / UAE ID. Both our passports are being processed for visa's so have no UAE ID yet.

Also, prices for hotels are extortionate (not that I think I can stay in one). Montgomerie for a night and for both of us to pay 18 holes is over £500.

Another idea is a hotel for the day, she went to Jebel Ali and LOVED it, can anyone suggest one that's even better? Want to chill on the beach / by the pool, drink, have a brunch / lunch, chill and carry on into the night no doubt.

Any other day trip ideas? I know she'd fancy skiing, and Aquaventure but they just seem a bit shit for a birthday. I'd like to play golf with her, which is why Jebel Ali seemed good as it's only 9 holes and she's not played in a while....but she's been there.

God this shit is tough.

Idea's for issue 2 will be most gratefully received because I'm going round in circles.

Thanks

SweatypalmScamp
I grew up in Dubai (15 years) and often go back as still have friends there. Have you considered driving to Oman then take a dhow trip through the Omani Fjords...it's beautiful...a gift experience methinks. However if you want to also present her with a gift...how about a Shisha, it's also a nice keepsake (if she likes that kinda thing)...there are some lovely one's and affordable one's in Deira (nr the gold souk) rather than paying the expensive prices in Emirates Mall etc. Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Two issues;

1. Presents;

2. Birthday Weekend;

God this shit is tough.

Thanks

SweatypalmScamp

See Scot-ish for advice, hotel Atlantis for Sundance and 3 butt plugs / dildos, a weekend you'll never forget
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you obviously don't know the joke.
Come on then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.