Getting divorced

Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting divorced

Well unfortunately me and mrs Spugs are getting divorced. Luckily we're still really good mates and it sort of fizzled out and we now live apart and it's a bit dodgy if we have partners and we're married.

Now what's the best way of going about it? We've been quoted over here AED 21k, which I think is *****ing ludicrious bearing in mind I want nothing of hers and vice versa.

However we have a flat back home and we only started paying it off 6 months ago, we've been renting it and that's been taking care of the mortgage but it was interest only - so with the way the UK is I think it's in negative equity but she's going to sign it over to me.

Now any idea how long it takes if we use a UK solicitor? As we've been told over here they can sort the divorce, flat, the lot in about 2 months.

Any advice from our divorced ex pats?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Getting divorced

I'm of no help whatsoever but sounds like it's all amicable pal. Sorry to hear though.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:00 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

It takes about 3 months end to end before you get your decree absolute.

Costs around 1,000 -1,500 quid for UK solicitor.

(The voice of experience).
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:05 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Yup that's what I thought - after my brush with the law I know that these lawyers out here will charge the earth for any little thing they can.

They want AED 1k for a meeting with both of us this week.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:05 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Kix

How did you pick your lawyer?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:09 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

If you're doing it in UK save yourself a fortune and do it online http://www.divorce-online.co.uk/ From 45 sovs.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The more you agree on, the less work for a solicitor to do, and the less it will cost you. Do your research so you understand the process and as things are amicable it should be straightforward. You'll have court fees as well as the solicitor's fees.

It should only take a couple of months to have a Decree Nisi issued - assuming all is in order - and then you have to wait for six weeks to apply for the Decree Absolute.

Don't forget that you have to specify grounds for the divorce. If all is entirely amicable you may want to wait so that you have lived apart for two years, otherwise there has to be a valid reason such as adultery or unreasonable behaviour.

x
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Yup that's what I thought - after my brush with the law I know that these lawyers out here will charge the earth for any little thing they can.

They want AED 1k for a meeting with both of us this week.

AED 1k is a standard hourly fee for an intial meeting with a lawyer. Who are you using? I can refer you to someone if you like.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:13 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

How did you pick your lawyer?
It was a mate that I'd known for years (Peter), he's now semi-retired practice is based in Sunderland.

Peter Dunn
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:16 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Meow
The more you agree on, the less work for a solicitor to do, and the less it will cost you. Do your research so you understand the process and as things are amicable it should be straightforward. You'll have court fees as well as the solicitor's fees.

It should only take a couple of months to have a Decree Nisi issued - assuming all is in order - and then you have to wait for six weeks to apply for the Decree Absolute.

Don't forget that you have to specify grounds for the divorce. If all is entirely amicable you may want to wait so that you have lived apart for two years, otherwise there has to be a valid reason such as adultery or unreasonable behaviour.

x
No way we can wait that long, we'll both have new partners sooner or later and maybe even living together - if we're both still married then we'll be in all kinds of bother. Also we need the flat sorted and signed over.

Lawyers out here are are shitbirds, they'll take your eyes out and charge you 500 dibs here, there and everywhere.

It's 100% amicable, no arguments, no messing - I don't want anything of hers and vice versa, just need it signed and done with.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Kix
It was a mate that I'd known for years (Peter), he's now semi-retired practice is based in Sunderland.

Peter Dunn
Got an email for him mate?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by mikewot
If you're doing it in UK save yourself a fortune and do it online http://www.divorce-online.co.uk/ From 45 sovs.
You ever used this or just found it?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:24 am
Bored liberal

No way we can wait that long, we'll both have new partners sooner or later and maybe even living together - if we're both still married then we'll be in all kinds of bother. Also we need the flat sorted and signed over.

Lawyers out here are are shitbirds, they'll take your eyes out and charge you 500 dibs here, there and everywhere.

It's 100% amicable, no arguments, no messing - I don't want anything of hers and vice versa, just need it signed and done with.
No they aren't all awful. (Only some of them.) You expect to be paid for your work, so they expect to be paid for their time too. All professionals do.

If you want to get divorced straight away then one of you will have to cite the other for unreasonabel behaviour. It's not hard to come up with a list of reasons and no one apart from you lawyer, or the court officials, need to know what was said.

Excessive drinking, being away a lot, not helping around the home, inappropriate behaviour - list those and job done.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:25 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Got an email for him mate?
I used to call him, but from their website - [email protected] is a good start - it's bank holiday there today remember, mention my name if you like.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:27 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Meow
No they aren't all awful. (Only some of them.) You expect to be paid for your work, so they expect to be paid for their time too. All professionals do.

If you want to get divorced straight away then one of you will have to cite the other for unreasonabel behaviour. It's not hard to come up with a list of reasons and no one apart from you lawyer, or the court officials, need to know what was said.

Excessive drinking, being away a lot, not helping around the home, inappropriate behaviour - list those and job done.
Mine was listed as "Unreasonable behavior" but nothing was stated if I recall.

Me? Unreasonable behavior? Never!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.