Gamers in Riyadh

Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:14 am
Av1
Just Joined

Av1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gamers in Riyadh

Hi.I'm quite an avid gamer and will buy a PS4 when I get to Riyadh in a few weeks time to keep me entertained.Are there many censorship restrictions on games and consoles in Saudi Arabia?What kind of prices are games out there?I'm traditionally a PC gamer but won't be bringing my rig with me as I'm unsure on how easy Steam would be able to access content.Cheers Tez
Old Sep 30th 2015, 2:29 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gamers in Riyadh

A PS4 will work just fine out here, I have one in my Doha apartment which the kids use for online games when they visit. Connects straight into the router. As a bonus, the PS4 can be connected through Internet Connect Sharing (ICS) to my laptop which runs a V.P.N, so I can stream Sky TV as though I were in the UK. A cross-over cable will also work.To be honest, if I were you, I'd buy a half-decent gaming laptop and install a V.P.N and bring it with you. Much more flexible and less hassle than a PC or PS4.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:39 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

well if u are an avid gamer but you don't already own a PS4 then which games do you play and on which platform? The new COD on the PS4 is well ok to say the least but the new BF is fun and helps spend some hours. Obviously WoW doesn't work on the sony platform. And Halo needs the Xbox (bleah).
Getting games shouldn't be a problem, you can order them online from Dubai.
Ive always been a PC guy but tbh I switched to the Sony platform and am starting to get bored now so yeah I would also recommend you get a sweet PC, hook it up with your HDTV once ur settled in and just have fun!
Prices are cheaper in Dubai than the holy land and yes I own a computer shop so shameless advertising mode on!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:41 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Btw I don't think Steam has any restrictions there mate
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:06 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I own a computer shop so shameless advertising mode on!
****! How much for at least 1Gb external SSD?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:40 am
Av1
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.
I will be bringing my gaming laptop with me but as i use mouse and keyboard on PC it will mean having a desk etc which means more clutter. PS4 and a tv is much neater and I can watch dvd's etc like a normal person for a change!

I might be in the market for an awesome gaming PC in the near future so I'll keep you in mind Irishbeekeeper
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot
****! How much for at least 1Gb external SSD?
cmon man, you really didnt know?

1GB? you mean 1TB? the external factory made 1TB SSD on USB3.0 is a tad difficult to find in good price (souq has it in samsung but they are ripoffs there) so its easier to go for an Internal 2.5" 1TB SSD and put it in a good quality USB 3.0 enclosure

1TB SSD Crucial - 1325 AED

1TB SSD Transcend - 1355 AED

1TB SSD Samsung 850 Evo - 1360 AED

a good quality USB 3.0 enclosure is around 70 AED
its cheaper this way
A disti of mine will get me the prices for Adata 1TB SSD External on Sunday if you can wait for that long

in Factory made USB external SSD, for now I can only give you the Transcend 480GB SSD (720 model) for 1250 AED but I would still reiterate that it would be cheaper for you to just slap a 1tb internal ssd into a usb kit.
I do wholesale thats why my prices are cheaper, I just dont have the time, manpower or patience for retail thats all
If you want delivery, add 30 aed to any of the prices and then let me know

Originally Posted by Av1
Thanks for the replies.
I will be bringing my gaming laptop with me but as i use mouse and keyboard on PC it will mean having a desk etc which means more clutter. PS4 and a tv is much neater and I can watch dvd's etc like a normal person for a change!

I might be in the market for an awesome gaming PC in the near future so I'll keep you in mind Irishbeekeeper
anytime bro, glad to help out a fellow gamer anytime, have made a few gaming cafes back home so know a thing or two about gaming
cheers
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

cmon man, you really didnt know?
LOL! About the 1Tb it's been way too long a week :-) No I haven't been tracking prices, I know they are coming dooown but I was interested in the NOW price.
I really appreciate the effort you put into a nice answer, thank you :-) Have some karma.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:50 pm
Av1
Just Joined

I really don't like the USB 3 connectors. I took one to sea last time and within a month I had to rip the case open and put it in a USB 2 case as it just wouldn't read. So flimsy and onboard a warship flimsy doesn't last long.

Can you foresee a censorship issue when Fallout 4 arrives Irishbeekeeper? I'm planning to have it sent from the UK but as the postal system in Saudi doesn't seem to be the best I may buy it out there. Just don't want arabic voice overs or subtitles!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:37 pm

well tbh the middle east versions dont have voice overs but there have been a few games which are not allowed to be sold here through proper channels BUT are available in the market the 2nd day they are released in the states
GTAV and the second last Assasin's Creed both werent allowed to be sold here but I bought them both from my dealer here, so shouldnt be an issue for you if you want to buy from Dubai, but Saudi is a different aspect. I have no idea how tough they would be if you buy from Dubai and have it shipped to Saudi but off the top of my head I would say its better to be safe than sorry. If you can pick it up before you ship out, much better that way I reckon. Btw you can fly down to Dubai every 2nd or 3rd weekend like most people do and do all your shopping here and just luggage it back no questions asked as long as it isnt a blow up doll you know
and no I dont know where to buy one....it was only that one time....and it wasnt mine....it was my friends......and i wasnt even doing anything with it.....and an old episode of Star Trek was on...the one with Counselor Troy!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Av1
I really don't like the USB 3 connectors. I took one to sea last time and within a month I had to rip the case open and put it in a USB 2 case as it just wouldn't read. So flimsy and onboard a warship flimsy doesn't last long.
Well USB 3.0 IS much faster than 2.0, I mean noticeably faster when its working for you
wasnt the new USB 3.0 Gen 2 supposed to come out last month?
I dont use USBs anymore, got everything on the NAS now
got a 4TB seagate hooked up over the wifi and just chuck everything on it, copy paste, leave it on and go to sleep
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:58 pm
Av1
Just Joined

well tbh the middle east versions dont have voice overs but there have been a few games which are not allowed to be sold here through proper channels BUT are available in the market the 2nd day they are released in the states
GTAV and the second last Assasin's Creed both werent allowed to be sold here but I bought them both from my dealer here, so shouldnt be an issue for you if you want to buy from Dubai, but Saudi is a different aspect. I have no idea how tough they would be if you buy from Dubai and have it shipped to Saudi but off the top of my head I would say its better to be safe than sorry. If you can pick it up before you ship out, much better that way I reckon. Btw you can fly down to Dubai every 2nd or 3rd weekend like most people do and do all your shopping here and just luggage it back no questions asked as long as it isnt a blow up doll you know
and no I dont know where to buy one....it was only that one time....and it wasnt mine....it was my friends......and i wasnt even doing anything with it.....and an old episode of Star Trek was on...the one with Counselor Troy!
Ahh good, I like resourceful people. I'll have to do a hop into Bahrain every 30 days so might take advantage of the opportunity.

I would offer to bring you in an inflatable sheep as a "companion" but they might think it's mine.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 6:05 pm

I'll give you 2 months in Riyadh before you are going to wish you SHOULD have bought that sheep when you could mate