Galaxy Tab

Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Galaxy Tab

Just looking at the Galaxy Tab and wondered if anyone owns one. I like the fact that the Galaxy Tab is more portable than the Apple ipad but I am a bit confused about which model to go for (P1000 or P1010). Any advice appreciated
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:42 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galaxy Tab

Originally Posted by soukie
Just looking at the Galaxy Tab and wondered if anyone owns one. I like the fact that the Galaxy Tab is more portable than the Apple ipad but I am a bit confused about which model to go for (P1000 or P1010). Any advice appreciated
I've got one, the P1010 model, which has wi-fi but no 3G connectivity. I like it. As you say, more portable than the iPad. I got it mainly as an e-reader for when I travel (download the Kindle App) but it does tons of other stuff as well.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I've got one, the P1010 model, which has wi-fi but no 3G connectivity. I like it. As you say, more portable than the iPad. I got it mainly as an e-reader for when I travel (download the Kindle App) but it does tons of other stuff as well.

Thanks LJ - is there a drawback not having 3G connectivity? I am a bit confused by it all really and don't really understand the difference. The P1010 is a lot cheaper than the P1000 so I presume that's because the P1000 has
3G included - seems strange that the newer model (P1010) has less features.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LJ - is there a drawback not having 3G connectivity? I am a bit confused by it all really and don't really understand the difference. The P1010 is a lot cheaper than the P1000 so I presume that's because the P1000 has
3G included - seems strange that the newer model (P1010) has less features.
3G = GPS maps too doesn't it?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:51 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
3G = GPS maps too doesn't it?
No. 3G is just the ability to use the mobile phone signal to transmit/receive data. The P1010 still has GPS, but you can only connect to the internet if you are at home (through your wireless router) or if you can find a public wi-fi hotspot in a hotel or cafe.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No. 3G is just the ability to use the mobile phone signal to transmit/receive data. The P1010 still has GPS, but you can only connect to the internet if you are at home (through your wireless router) or if you can find a public wi-fi hotspot in a hotel or cafe.
yeh, sorry wasn't clear. The maps are stored in the sky though right? so you need 3G to read them when you are in the car. I'm not sure though it must be said.

I don't normally need GPS functionality to find my way from the living room to the kettle. The maid can do that for me.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:03 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Millhouse
yeh, sorry wasn't clear. The maps are stored in the sky though right? so you need 3G to read them when you are in the car. I'm not sure though it must be said.

I don't normally need GPS functionality to find my way from the living room to the kettle. The maid can do that for me.
Yes. I can use my tab as a sat nav but only on the route it initially planned when I had a wi-fi connection. If I deviate from my route, there's no live update through 3G.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

So do you think the one with 3G is a better option? Does it need a SIM? Sorry to ask such basics but all the terminology confuses me and the sales people are not very easy to understand! I will mainly be using the Tab when travelling around - don't think I will use it much whilst I am at home.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:17 am
Excess Baggage

So do you think the one with 3G is a better option? Does it need a SIM? Sorry to ask such basics but all the terminology confuses me and the sales people are not very easy to understand! I will mainly be using the Tab when travelling around - don't think I will use it much whilst I am at home.
If you get the 3G one you will need a SIM for it, and that obviously adds additional cost. It really depends how much you are going to use it for on-line stuff and whether constant connectivity is important enough to justify the extra cost of the 3G version plus the cost of the SIM.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

If you get the 3G one you will need a SIM for it, and that obviously adds additional cost. It really depends how much you are going to use it for on-line stuff and whether constant connectivity is important enough to justify the extra cost of the 3G version plus the cost of the SIM.
Thanks for your help LJ - I will look into it further. The running cost of a SIM would probably be about the same as using the phone for internet so could be expensive. I am going to look at the UK networks like Vodafone as I will probably be back in UK a lot more from this September.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:56 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Soukie,

In addition to the SIM you will also incur additional cost for the actual data you download using 3G. One option if you might want to look into want to avoid a 3G Galaxy is using a 3G phone then linking that to the Galaxy. Most phones are 3G capable already, you use that for the data you require and then you just need to get the 2 devices talking to each other.

3G is really on beneficial if you need ongoing live updates, i.e. email / GPS, on a regular basis and are in location where a Wi-fi network is nor readily available. I used it a lot in Africa but now I am back in Dubai there are enough public access points around that 3G in not a necessity
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most 3G phones will allow you to turn them into a wifi hotspot, so therefore making it easier to connect the phone to your iPad, Galaxy Tab , generic non labelled internet tablet.

So, with connecting the phone to the tablet, you're always online so to speak, when you need to be - providing your phone gets a good 3G signal. In most built up cities in the ME, this shouldn't be a problem.

The Galaxy Tab seems to be gaining more and more popularity here in KSA.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:26 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Yes, most 3G phones will allow you to turn them into a wifi hotspot, so therefore making it easier to connect the phone to your iPad, Galaxy Tab , generic non labelled internet tablet.

So, with connecting the phone to the tablet, you're always online so to speak, when you need to be - providing your phone gets a good 3G signal. In most built up cities in the ME, this shouldn't be a problem.

The Galaxy Tab seems to be gaining more and more popularity here in KSA.
Galaxy tab does look good and is very popular, I plumped for Motorola Xoom and so far so good very happy with it
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:24 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Steer clear of any Android device aside from the Xoom. They're all poor imitations of the iPad. Even the Xoom isn't great, but it's the best alternative to the iPad.

That said, I'd just go with an iPad. It's still light years ahead of the competition, and Apple just revealed a ton of features that will be going live this September.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has so many words in it that I just don't understand- Not a clue what you are all talking about!

Foe example;
Steer clear of any Android device aside from the Xoom.
Are we acually living in Star Wars now?

My version of buying a phone- I'd like a mobile phone please- which one would you like?- a pretty one that doesn't make calls when its in my pocket and doesn't break when I drop it in the toilet and doesn't need a youtube tutorial to tell you how to work it. This one madam- yep that'll do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.