Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

FIFA World Cup - Who's watching and where ?

FIFA World Cup - Who's watching and where ?

Old May 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

arc en ciel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FIFA World Cup - Who's watching and where ?

It's nearly time, only just over 2 weeks to the start of the world cup. Particularly in relation to KSA, I thought it would be interesting to know especially if you closely follow the England games, where you intend to watch them ? Can any of you stream live UK TV via the internet onto your TVs or via satellite ? Or will you be watching on Saudi TV channels ? Will your compound be broadcasting as a social event ?

Engerland, engerland, engerland.....
Old May 26th 2010, 11:55 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFA World Cup - Who's watching and where ?

Originally Posted by arc en ciel
It's nearly time, only just over 2 weeks to the start of the world cup. Particularly in relation to KSA, I thought it would be interesting to know especially if you closely follow the England games, where you intend to watch them ? Can any of you stream live UK TV via the internet onto your TVs or via satellite ? Or will you be watching on Saudi TV channels ? Will your compound be broadcasting as a social event ?

Now, who wants to take part in the age-old Scottish game of "How long till some Engerlish commentator mentions 1966?'. Ill post the spreadsheet and you select the days, hours and minute from the start day and time till the first reference..

Lets say 50dhs entry, winner take all???
Old May 26th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Arc I think you'll find most Brits in the Middle East are actually Scottish!! We're the minority!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

arc en ciel is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a shame Scotland didn't qualify, I'll never forget Archie Gemmill and co. in 1978. I stayed in the same hotel as the BBC commentary team at the last world cup in Germany, Apart from the obvious English contingent, Kenny Dalglish was there too, a real gentleman, shook everyone's hand in the bar. Pat Jennings was also there and I made the mistake of shaking hands with him as well, my hand is still sore !
Old May 26th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I bought a mate a teeshirt of that Archie Gemmill goal depicted by subutteo players from a stall in Prestwick airport last summer. Chatting to the guy about how as a wee lad I'd be supporting all home nations esp NI and Scotland in 82 and how it's all so different now. He looked at me as if I were mad.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Who's the official exclusive broadcaster? Al Jazeera?
Old May 26th 2010, 1:07 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Arc I think you'll find most Brits in the Middle East are actually Scottish!! We're the minority!
Funny you should say that. There does seem to be somewhat of an overrepresentation of scottish people on this board (compared to how it is in the UK). I'm definitely not saying it is a bad thing, but just makes you wonder how this has come about...

Anyway, I'm planning to watch the England games at the British Club in Manama. Wouldn't have a clue about how to watch it in Saudi (unless your compound shows it or you sign up to the Al Jazeera World Cup Package).

For those of you reading this and contemplating using a Dreambox I would forget about it. I work for a retailer who is also selling the subs and the briefing on the package was given to stores the other day. Basically the encryption code will be changed every 2 minutes. This means it just wouldn't work through a Dreambox (or at least be very annoying).

The package is something like $100 for 6 months of all Al Jazeera Sport channels by the way, so not as bad as it could have been. Now if Al Jazeera also confirm they are showing Premier League next season then it is definitely worth the price in my opinion, but no such announcement has been made yet..
Old May 26th 2010, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Funny you should say that. There does seem to be somewhat of an overrepresentation of scottish people on this board (compared to how it is in the UK). I'm definitely not saying it is a bad thing, but just makes you wonder how this has come about...

Anyway, I'm planning to watch the England games at the British Club in Manama. Wouldn't have a clue about how to watch it in Saudi (unless your compound shows it or you sign up to the Al Jazeera World Cup Package).

For those of you reading this and contemplating using a Dreambox I would forget about it. I work for a retailer who is also selling the subs and the briefing on the package was given to stores the other day. Basically the encryption code will be changed every 2 minutes. This means it just wouldn't work through a Dreambox (or at least be very annoying).

The package is something like $100 for 6 months of all Al Jazeera Sport channels by the way, so not as bad as it could have been. Now if Al Jazeera also confirm they are showing Premier League next season then it is definitely worth the price in my opinion, but no such announcement has been made yet..
You're going to watch the games at the British Club?? Every game???

You obviously don't mind inhaling 200 other people's cigarette smoke simultaneously.......... for four weeks.........
Old May 26th 2010, 1:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You're going to watch the games at the British Club?? Every game???

You obviously don't mind inhaling 200 other people's cigarette smoke simultaneously.......... for four weeks.........
There is no way I will watch every game, and if my lungs start giving out I may move to The Exchange (smokefree), or Champs in Best Western Juffair (don't know smoke situation there but heard it is a nice place)...

The days of watching every game in the World Cup or European Cup were over the day I had kids mate. My wife might have bitched at me for watching too much football during WC/EC before my son was born, but now I am barely allowed to watch the weekly EPL game without some abuse..

Does "thanks for ruining the weekend by refusing to go out as you had to watch the midday game" sound familiar??
Old May 26th 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by norsk
There is no way I will watch every game, and if my lungs start giving out I may move to The Exchange (smokefree), or Champs in Best Western Juffair (don't know smoke situation there but heard it is a nice place)...

The days of watching every game in the World Cup or European Cup were over the day I had kids mate. My wife might have bitched at me for watching too much football during WC/EC before my son was born, but now I am barely allowed to watch the weekly EPL game without some abuse..

Does "thanks for ruining the weekend by refusing to go out as you had to watch the midday game" sound familiar??
Know the feeling................

If you fancy watching at the (newly refurbished) Warbler, I'll meet up with you - it lacks the .... er .... atmosphere it once had, but it's a nicer place to watch sport these days.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:27 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by The Dean
Know the feeling................

If you fancy watching at the (newly refurbished) Warbler, I'll meet up with you - it lacks the .... er .... atmosphere it once had, but it's a nicer place to watch sport these days.
Warbler has been refurbished? Really? So no more female pirate statues and weird streetlights? I guess it may have lost some of its atmosphere, but maybe you no longer feel like you've been covered in grease after 10 minutes in there..

Anyway. Sure. Sounds good. I'll probably watch England - USA in the British Club, but would be good to meet up for some other game. Always cool to get to know more people in a strange country. I'll PM you my contact details.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:51 pm