Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Fancy yourself managing a Kenyan hotel/lodge?

Fancy yourself managing a Kenyan hotel/lodge?

Old May 24th 2011, 8:02 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fancy yourself managing a Kenyan hotel/lodge?

Guys, I know this is a serious longshot but I will try it anyway.

My dad has over the last 10 years built up a hotel/lodge on the Kenyan west coast (on the shores of Lake Victoria) and as much as he has enjoyed the experience, he is now looking for someone (a couple preferably) who are interested in an adventure in rural Kenya. His main reason for looking is that he has suddenly realised that he is getting old and now wants to spend his time resting in the shadow of a palm tree with a cold beer rather than running around fixing stuff and ensuring the books are balanced.

His plan is to "loan" the place to someone free of charge for a set period and they will run it as if it was their own with all financial and operational responsibility. There are currently around 30 staff on the books as far as I can remember, but this post is not meant to contain details. It is rather to see if I get a response.

My dad would obviously be available for advice on maintenance and so on as he will continue to live in the area (not at the lodge though). He has after all run it for the last 10 years so has plenty of experience. He has very few absolute demands from what I understand, but he has an office in his lighthouse that he wishes to keep plus his boat will be moored by the beach.

So - if you are keen on finding out more or you know someone who may be interested send me a pm and I will provide further information and pass along contact details for my dad.

There is a website with some information about the place and the surrounding area that you can check out. Go to http://www.safarikenya.net/ (my dad designed the website and you can clearly see why he is a bridge engineer and not a web designer)
Old May 25th 2011, 4:24 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy yourself managing a Kenyan hotel/lodge?

well...it did give me a 10 min daydream thinking what it would be like to pack up and do something like that, so thanks for that...
hope your dad finds someone suitable...
Old May 25th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I could go back to the country of my birth and start a new career. Got relatives near to Nakuru.

Half tempted in all seriousness.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:02 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I could go back to the country of my birth and start a new career. Got relatives near to Nakuru.

Half tempted in all seriousness.
I seriously think it would be a great experience for someone with the right mindset. It is definitely one of those things where you would have to be willing to give up on some of life's luxuries though. It is only about a year ago electricity was installed, before that it was all about the generators..

Last edited by norsk; May 25th 2011 at 6:03 am. Reason: grammar..
Old May 25th 2011, 6:30 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
I seriously think it would be a great experience for someone with the right mindset. It is definitely one of those things where you would have to be willing to give up on some of life's luxuries though. It is only about a year ago electricity was installed, before that it was all about the generators..
If it was anywhere but West Kenya, we would have been interested. It's a tribal thing.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The place looks lovely and like MH I spent a few minutes going 'what if'....

Hope your father finds a happy solution.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

oo that sounds fab! 10 years down the line Id be up for that!
Old May 25th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a magical experience. Sadly, not at this point in my life but i can forward it on to mates in Kenya who may be interested?

I wanted an oyster farm north of Watamu once but my live has gone is such a different direction now. I can see what the day dream will be for the next few months at least.

Sigh....
Old May 25th 2011, 8:14 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

You would come up with this little gem the day my bloody container is loaded in Mombassa and on its way back to Dubai. What could have been a month ago .....
Old May 25th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

How mad that so many peole have links with Kenya!

Welivehere - how long have you been there?
Old May 25th 2011, 8:20 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
How mad that so many peole have links with Kenya!

Welivehere - how long have you been there?
AD - We spent 7 months in Nairobbery, now back in the land of sand. Really enjoyed the place and the majority of the people. Hated doing business there though....
Old May 25th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welivehere
AD - We spent 7 months in Nairobbery, now back in the land of sand. Really enjoyed the place and the majority of the people. Hated doing business there though....
Ah, i can see from the amount of time there that it didn't work out. Better luck when you're back here. Hope you managed to enjoy yourself and get out and about around the country.

I suspect i have rose tinted glasses about how things work. My Dad is going back next year to over see some land development. He might be in for a bit of a shock. Mind you he has the bitchiest of wives, who happens to be from there and she might make things happen.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by al dente
Ah, i can see from the amount of time there that it didn't work out. Better luck when you're back here. Hope you managed to enjoy yourself and get out and about around the country.
Hey AD - Loved the placed and the people we met there but you're right the contract I travelled there for didn't work out. Shame as there are a lot of goods things / parts / people there. Having said that being back to decent internet and road without pot holes that can swallow a car does have it perks... :-)

Why the rose tinted glasses?
Old May 25th 2011, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey AD - Loved the placed and the people we met there but you're right the contract I travelled there for didn't work out. Shame as there are a lot of goods things / parts / people there. Having said that being back to decent internet and road without pot holes that can swallow a car does have it perks... :-)

Why the rose tinted glasses?
I suppose after being raised in Africa, i used to 'get' how things work there. There's always someone you can see, a little swahili here and there, a palm to grease and it comes together - usual with a laugh and a smile. Here, i just find similar problems in bureaucracy without the social frameowrk of fixing it. All a lot drier (pun intended) and, sometimes frightening. DOn't get me wrong, we've had friends be on the wrong side of a Minister etc in Kenya but we helped and were not afraid ourselves. Here any sign of minor trouble and we'd be gone, certain that we couldn't fix it. In Kenya, i just feel for your average run ins, you can still wing it and be absolutely fine.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:13 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

You would come up with this little gem the day my bloody container is loaded in Mombassa and on its way back to Dubai. What could have been a month ago .....
Sorry about that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.