Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Expats take flight as Abu Dhabi tightens purse strings

Expats take flight as Abu Dhabi tightens purse strings

Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Expats take flight as Abu Dhabi tightens purse strings

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Surely you, as a headhunter, must have a decent idea what's going on in terms of recruitment and staff replacement?
To be honest, most of my work is now outside the Middle East.
I look after Expo but hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'll update you on Wednesday when I've been up there again to see what's hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sorry.... happening.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of which:

Just got a promotional email from Thrifty in UAE, where I rented my car from.

They are offering Yaris and Lancer at 1450/1475 per month on a 12 month contract.

They are also offering a new Ford Escape for 2100 AED/month for 12 months, a Ford Edge for 1700 AED and a Duster for 1850 AED.

Got to say not bad given I was paying 1800 for the Tiida.

I'm sure you could negotiate an even lower rate but yes, supports the theory that there's a slowdown in higher paid expats / fewer people coming in. On the other hand, rents seem to have not changed at all
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Speaking of which:

Just got a promotional email from Thrifty in UAE, where I rented my car from.

They are offering Yaris and Lancer at 1450/1475 per month on a 12 month contract.

They are also offering a new Ford Escape for 2100 AED/month for 12 months, a Ford Edge for 1700 AED and a Duster for 1850 AED.

Got to say not bad given I was paying 1800 for the Tiida.

I'm sure you could negotiate an even lower rate but yes, supports the theory that there's a slowdown in higher paid expats / fewer people coming in. On the other hand, rents seem to have not changed at all
you could have gone wild in that Duster.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:49 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephanier
---------------------------------------------------------------
Free healthcare of Emiratis was shut last year after several decades. This is very good. But today over all little tough for healthcare industry. So, the government might give discount medical system. This is very good for us. Other hand all country government doesn’t give free or discount healthcare. Whatever they give us that is best for us. Have a safe journey.
Hmmmm
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:49 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
To be honest, most of my work is now outside the Middle East.
I look after Expo but hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'll update you on Wednesday when I've been up there again to see what's hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sorry.... happening.
Out of interest, does anyone expect the Expo to make the slightest bit of difference regarding the profile of Dubai internationally? I mean, it's not the olympics or the world cup exactly.

I've occasionally had people tell me with a straight face how high profile it is, and that it's going to be a mega boom, at which point I enquire casually which were the last two cities to hold the world Expo. Curiously they don't seem to know, even though apparently it's the most important, biggest event in the world.

It seems yet another of those things Dubai is great at, convincing everyone living in its bubble that it's the centre of the universe. Yet once you're outside, the only time it even seems to fall into view is a horror story about some expat being trapped there after reporting a rape or whatever, or the occasional nonsense about a new UAE plan to land on mars or lead the way on nuclear fusion, or something crass like buying a fleet of bugattis for the police department.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a twat: yes.

If you're not a twat: no.

Originally Posted by captainflack
Out of interest, does anyone expect the Expo to make the slightest bit of difference regarding the profile of Dubai internationally? I mean, it's not the olympics or the world cup exactly.

I've occasionally had people tell me with a straight face how high profile it is, and that it's going to be a mega boom, at which point I enquire casually which were the last two cities to hold the world Expo. Curiously they don't seem to know, even though apparently it's the most important, biggest event in the world.

It seems yet another of those things Dubai is great at, convincing everyone living in its bubble that it's the centre of the universe. Yet once you're outside, the only time it even seems to fall into view is a horror story about some expat being trapped there after reporting a rape or whatever, or the occasional nonsense about a new UAE plan to land on mars or lead the way on nuclear fusion, or something crass like buying a fleet of bugattis for the police department.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by captainflack

Personally: Total waste of time, effort and money. The billions could be far better spent, even just on going round finishing off projects that have stalled and look shit. Gov could take them over and make some money off it.
OR
Could spend the money on charity.
Could spend it on a flyover so business bay can finally go South without going miles in the wrong ****ing direction.
Could spend it on another mall, for shits and giggles.
Could spend the billions on a worthwhile metro system

Aside from that, I do know where the last two were/are but frankly I don't give a hoot. It got some airtime on BBC News but when I told Mum that the Mrs had a day off for it, she asked what it was and didn't seem the slightest bit interested.

From what I can see, the renders available on the tinterweb will stay just that. Pretty pictures but not reality. Heading up on Thursday, going to go weekly now they're actually doing things on site.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Personally: Total waste of time, effort and money. The billions could be far better spent, even just on going round finishing off projects that have stalled and look shit. Gov could take them over and make some money off it.
OR
Could spend the money on charity.
Could spend it on a flyover so business bay can finally go South without going miles in the wrong ****ing direction.
Could spend it on another mall, for shits and giggles.
Could spend the billions on a worthwhile metro system

Aside from that, I do know where the last two were/are but frankly I don't give a hoot. It got some airtime on BBC News but when I told Mum that the Mrs had a day off for it, she asked what it was and didn't seem the slightest bit interested.

From what I can see, the renders available on the tinterweb will stay just that. Pretty pictures but not reality. Heading up on Thursday, going to go weekly now they're actually doing things on site.
What does a recruiter do during a site visit? Is it like a milkman asking a customer how much milk he needs for the week? "three brown tops, and two yellow ok for you this week?"

It's like when I go to site visits... I haven't a clue what I'm looking at, I go just because I paid for the tecchie to go and I like a day out of the fluorescent lighting hell-cube.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What does a recruiter do during a site visit? Is it like a milkman asking a customer how much milk he needs for the week? "three brown tops, and two yellow ok for you this week?"

It's like when I go to site visits... I haven't a clue what I'm looking at, I go just because I paid for the tecchie to go and I like a day out of the fluorescent lighting hell-cube.
Yeah, lots of that.
Lots of walking around chatting to the people I like and avoiding those I haven't helped much.
Lots of asking helplessly indecisive managers to just interview some people instead of saying that 4 jobs in 18years is 'too many' etc.

Rarely go to proper sites, literally no point. But Expo's got nice offices and is big and mine to handle, so important to be seen there I guess.

Precis: I get a lie in.