expat wives in Al Ain.

Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

housewife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default expat wives in Al Ain.

Hello everybody,
I just arrived in Al Ain and I was wondering if there is an expatwives group which come together for coffee mornings and nights out?
I have no kids and I am not working.
So plenty of time.
Thanks.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat wives in Al Ain.

Originally Posted by housewife
Hello everybody,
I just arrived in Al Ain and I was wondering if there is an expatwives group which come together for coffee mornings and nights out?
I have no kids and I am not working.
So plenty of time.
Thanks.
There is a big thread on Al Ain in the Middle East section. It's well worth reading. I am sure Amazing Grace will be in touch
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Blue Cat, I wil read that.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Housewife, I live in Al Ain with my hubby but I wont be back in AA until the 4th September. At the moment it is very very quiet and not many coffee mornings happening so if you can wait until the 4th I would be happy to meet up with you for a coffee and can introduce you to a few of the ladies. Al Ain is very much a family place with lots of young families but there are people like myself and my husband who have flown the family nest so to speak.

Are you living in one of the hotels or are you already housed somewhere. What does your husband do as the two main things in Al Ain seem to be the military and the university, just curious;my husband works at Al Ain Hospital.

Anything you need to or want to know please ask away
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Grace.
Well, I think I can wait till the 4th.
We live in a villa at the Intercontinental.
Hubby is not working at the university or in a hospital.
He is working for a construction company.
I haven't seen anything yet from Al Ain apart from the shopping mall which was ( my opinion) not that spectaculair.
Hubby is away for a few days, he will be back tomorrow and in meanwhile I am surfing on the internet to find out things about Al Ain and the area.
If I have more questions I will ask them here.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Snap we live in a villa at The Hilton. My hubby is responsible for the engineering at Al Ain Hospital which is in the process now of beginning the construction of the new hospital being built adjacent to the existing one. Where abouts in the world are you from. My friend Larnie who started the Living in Al Ain thread also lived in the Intercon for a while and loved it. I must admit I do like living at The Hilton the staff are wonderful and treat us like royalty sometimes which can be embarassing. Anyway keep posting and then I can give you my details in private messaging.

Al Ain isnt a huge place so I suppose what you put into it you will get back. Keep in touch.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

hihi, I already noticed that AL Ain is a small place.
Monday I went by taxi to Al Jimi mall and on the way back the taxi driver drove like he was in a hurry.
Somewhere halfway on the right lane a car was stopped to let people cross the road but the taxidriver ( who drove in the left lane) kept on speeding. A moment later at a roundabout that car beeped the horn to the taxidriver and they both opened their window. I couldn't understand what they were saying but I did understand it has to do with the fact that the taxidriver didn't stopped.
Anyway, to mak a long story short, last night I bumped in that guy from the car. He recognised me and appologised for the fact he was shouting to the taxidriver. He explained why he did it, but I already understood it.
When I walked to the villa, I said to myself, "wright, AL Ain is a small place, or it was just a coinsedence."

By the way, this taxi driver wasn't that friendly, he didn't help me with put my shoppings in the car and when I came home he also didn't help me to take the stuff out the car.
Well, maybe he had a bad day, don't we have that all sometimes?

Oops, I forgot to say where I come from.
Well I am Dutch, so not a British expatwife, but my husband is Irish, so I do am a little bit,
Before we came here we lived for a few months in Doha where hubby worked for the same company as he is working now.
So I am already a bit familiar with the culture and the heat.

Last edited by housewife; Aug 20th 2008 at 6:41 am.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Hi, as far as taxis in Al Ain, the gold and white ones wont usually help you with bags. Usually..... some rare occasions they will. They grey ones with uniformed drivers are much better. They are properly air conditioned, and CLEAN!!!! Have had them help with shopping on several occasions. For a tip of course.
I have personally been in 2 accidents in taxis since cominfg to Al Ain. I was advised to pay the fare, jump out, get in another taxi... There is also Al Ghazal tel. number 03 751 6565. They are Mercedes usually and although twice as expensive, if you need to go somewhere at a specific time, you can reserve one. Clean, efficent and IMO worth the extra $$$$. Welcome to Al Ain, housewife....
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I have never had the gold taxis help with bags and the silver ones you need to get a tel no. Al Ghazal I tend to get from The Hilton where I live and to Al Ain Mall they will take the longest way possible to get there and to Al Jimi Mall Iwas charged AED35 a couple of weeks ago. I will definitely be driving when I get back
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Well, this driver was wearing an uniform.
I had to pay 11 dirham and I gave 15.
Even then he did not get out the car and helped me.
Anyway, as I said maybe he had a bad day.
Or maybe he had to go to the loo and therefore he didn't dare to get out of the car. Who knows.
But I am not to lazy to carry my own stuff.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

simi is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, yes the taxis in al ain are crazy..Al Ghazels are good, but very pricey!!!!

I was wondering does anyone know of any good ayuvedic clinics and yoga centres in Al Ain or Abu Dhabi??

I really need to see an ayuvedic doctor..
thanks
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

have you guys checked out abu dhabi ladies club?

its awesome, only problem its in abu dhabi, but lovely facilities.

is there anything like that for ladies in al ain..?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

PS: Thanks Grace....i spoke to karen and she directed me to a new expat nursery that opens this sunday. I went straight down there and checked it out...very nice...

british early years curriculum,
expat run
qualified teachers and nursery nurses from around the globe
multicultural
spacious, clean and stimulating

My daughter loves it there already she will be starting this sunday.

Thanks alot
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:04 am
Just Joined

ed_uae is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are moving out to Al Ain in 3 weeks. I'm also working for SSAT. We're keen to meet up with new people. Is anyone in this thread still out there!