Expat community...

Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:06 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expat community...

is there such thing as an expat community here...and I don't mean in the sense of expats living here, but more in the sense of a true community...or is everybody just doing their own thing...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:10 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat community...

Originally Posted by MataHari
is there such thing as an expat community here...and I don't mean in the sense of expats living here, but more in the sense of a true community...or is everybody just doing their own thing...
Define community...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Define community...
lol...I was hoping others would do that for me...
just triggered by someone asking 'what's the expat community like'...which makes it sound like there is a group sticking together that you have to get into to meet 'likeminded' people...
In my opinion there really isn't such a thing, everybody just does their own thing and you meet people randomly, that you either get friendly with or not...if that makes any sense...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai's too big for a proper expat community. Not like in say, Jakarta, where all the British expats know each other and all the kids go to the same 1-2 expat schools.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more smaller groups of people rather than one big community,

saying that when I watched the footy the other week there was over 20 of us geordies together.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:30 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I think it's more smaller groups of people rather than one big community,

saying that when I watched the footy the other week there was over 20 of us geordies together.
so not much different from what you'd find back home...
when people ask about 'the expat community' it just feels like they are expecting some ready made thing that you are going to belong to...

20...that's a small group non...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:21 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

nope, the place is full of self serving twats...

BC tries to hang on to the hope that there will one day be a renaissance and everyone will care about each other..

paf..

people come, people go..Dubai is a transient state...
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:32 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

so not much different from what you'd find back home...
when people ask about 'the expat community' it just feels like they are expecting some ready made thing that you are going to belong to...

20...that's a small group non...
nope not at all, it took me months to get a couple of proper mates.

Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Well only 2 of us from my country in the UAE so guess that doesnt count as a community, what ever it is defined to be??!!!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:32 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Well only 2 of us from my country in the UAE so guess that doesnt count as a community, what ever it is defined to be??!!!!
eh? what country is that then?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:53 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it also depends what you do - there's more of a community feel amongst expat stay-at-home mums, but I have to say that it's possibly through a desperate need to hang on to some kind of sanity!

It is also really transient. My local M&B group (read "community") has been rather rocked by people moving on/away. More arrive, but still, the turnover isn't very good for morale.

Yeah... not sure. There was definitely more of an expat community feel in France when I was living there.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that expats are the majority in the UAE, and also the shops, restaurants and language are all British/American, so where exactly is the need to hang on to your sense of nationality? Expats only really club together to remind themselves of "home" after all.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:58 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

lol...In my opinion there really isn't such a thing, everybody just does their own thing and you meet people randomly, that you either get friendly with or not...if that makes any sense...
Agree with that...unless one actually goes out of ones way to meet up with BE Forum people for drinks, meet-ups or quiz nights ! Otherwise, 'tis like back home or anywhere...you just tend to meet up with people randomly; say, at a pub, or sport/activity where you share something on common.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Lemme guess- Zimbabwe? And no, it's not because fo the name thing....
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:21 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
Lemme guess- Zimbabwe? And no, it's not because fo the name thing....
He may be a Rhodesian.....
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:49 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Define community...
Virtual count???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.