Exchange Rates

Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:52 am
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchange Rates

is anyone clued up on exchange rates and commissions...i normally never bother with this kind of stuff but i was hoping someone had a clue...where is the best place to change money? Locally, at the airport...or when arriving in the UK...
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:55 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rates

Originally Posted by tayls123
is anyone clued up on exchange rates and commissions...i normally never bother with this kind of stuff but i was hoping someone had a clue...where is the best place to change money? Locally, at the airport...or when arriving in the UK...
Went back to the UK two weeks ago and the exchange rate in UAE was better than London. Having said that, the BEST ratesi got was spending on my HSBC credit card.

Hope it helps
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind sharing the information, how much are you looking to change? If it's less than, say, AED 5,000, it won't make much difference..........
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you don't mind sharing the information, how much are you looking to change? If it's less than, say, AED 5,000, it won't make much difference..........
20 to 30 grand to pounds
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

I have found that if you withdraw a decent chunk at once, say in the region of £350 worth, you get a better rate with a credit card even after the bank charges etc. I never go to an exchange place now.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:36 am
Account Closed

well im doing this as a favour. i got a mate a temp job over here and he's paid in cash. so he wants me to take it back and deposit it in his account for him in the UK...credit cards etc don't apply...

just need to know if its worth changing here, at the airport or upon arrival in the UK..
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

just be aware of carrying cash into the UK- no idea how much your hanging so this may or may not apply http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriv...aring-cash.htm

you can transfer via al ansari easy enough and they charge you 60aed the exchange rate is pretty much the same, only makes a difference if your talking big money - you can normally haggle a teeny bit as well if its a fair bit.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:38 am
Account Closed

its not more than 10,000 euro's so im not worried about that.

so your saying its better to change it here before i leave?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

well im doing this as a favour. i got a mate a temp job over here and he's paid in cash. so he wants me to take it back and deposit it in his account for him in the UK...credit cards etc don't apply...

just need to know if its worth changing here, at the airport or upon arrival in the UK..
Ah yes............ money laundering........
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

UAE exchange. I'm a gold member now

I have always get the spot rate (or very very close to it) as told to me by google on my blackberry as I do the trade with them.

Fees are something like 35dh to send and the UK bank charges me about 20quid to receive. But for large sums, the small fixed fee and almost zero spread will be better than most other brokers.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:26 am
Account Closed

decent. cheers for the advice fella's
Old Feb 12th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
UAE exchange. I'm a gold member now

I have always get the spot rate (or very very close to it) as told to me by google on my blackberry as I do the trade with them.

Fees are something like 35dh to send and the UK bank charges me about 20quid to receive. But for large sums, the small fixed fee and almost zero spread will be better than most other brokers.
Do you have to pay in cash or will they take cards?