The torch 2

Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default The torch 2

The torch building caught fire again last night. And another less reported one in Sharjah.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The torch 2

Yeah. Just read about that. I'm in Dubai at the moment (came in late last night, takes 10 *****ing hours to fly from Qatar via Muscat now when you factor in the airport and layover times). I was relaxing with my coffee at Coffee Club thinking how so much better Dubai is compared to Doha but at least Doha hasn't had high rise fires!

Another cigarette butt?
Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yeah. Just read about that. I'm in Dubai at the moment (came in late last night, takes 10 *****ing hours to fly from Qatar via Muscat now when you factor in the airport and layover times). I was relaxing with my coffee at Coffee Club thinking how so much better Dubai is compared to Doha but at least Doha hasn't had high rise fires!

Another cigarette butt?
You're forgetting the mall fire.

What a mess these tower fires are. The attached building next to my old building also had a fire yesterday too but that was put out before it savaged the cladding on my old tinderbox.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite apposite, really.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dubai must hold the world record for the most number of casualty-free tower fires.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 9:23 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Dubai must hold the world record for the most number of casualty-free tower fires.
Yes, amazing that.....
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about that at lunch today.

I remember the fire at the Atlantis before it opened. We were repeatedly told there were no casualties but about a year later a discreet plaque was put on a wall in the hotel acknowledging the death of a fireman or two.

Remember, in these days of happiness, there is no bad news and all is well.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Yes, amazing that.....
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

the thing i see about these fires in Dubai is that if I had a fire on the outside of my apartment window/balcony their is not too much inside to go on fire. I have no curtains on room except bedroom. All concrete and tiles. When you see after event pics it is often just the balcony area that is burned. Though the fire at the address did look a bit worse to be honest...

At the greenfell fire in London , there would be curtains, carpets, gyproc, wood etc. once fire gets into building it will spread faster and draw in the fire
Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:54 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
the thing i see about these fires in Dubai is that if I had a fire on the outside of my apartment window/balcony their is not too much inside to go on fire. I have no curtains on room except bedroom. All concrete and tiles. When you see after event pics it is often just the balcony area that is burned. Though the fire at the address did look a bit worse to be honest...

At the greenfell fire in London , there would be curtains, carpets, gyproc, wood etc. once fire gets into building it will spread faster and draw in the fire
Fires will compete with you for oxygen...
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ditzy
<snip>
I struggle to believe that happened - mostly due to data quality issues.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 6th 2017 at 5:01 pm. Reason: at request
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:53 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
<snip>
I deal with engineering/construction claims as well as managing situations based on information I and my team receive. My guys now know not to make a decision based on information they've been told, unless they have proof that that information is correct. Our catch-phase is "Have you seen the dead body?", i.e. do you know that what you've been told is true?

This, from 30s onwards:

Last edited by Bob; Aug 6th 2017 at 5:01 pm. Reason: at request
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

A mate moved in a week ago today. Lost everything.
Another friend was a victim of the first Torch fire.
The more they happy, the more they make me seriously consider moving lower or to a small villa.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Villaggio Mall? The one where the triplets died in a nursery that was in a back corner of the mall? I remember that family was from New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You're forgetting the mall fire.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/ohmy.gif
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Get one of the small single-story ones in Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim within walking distance of the beach. That's my Dubai ideal. A little garden for a dog. Just off the beach road and all the burger joints, central location, lots of places to walk or cycle to.

It's too bad many are being demolished

Originally Posted by Scamp
A mate moved in a week ago today. Lost everything.
Another friend was a victim of the first Torch fire.
The more they happy, the more they make me seriously consider moving lower or to a small villa.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Get one of the small single-story ones in Jumeirah or Umm Suqeim within walking distance of the beach. That's my Dubai ideal. A little garden for a dog. Just off the beach road and all the burger joints, central location, lots of places to walk or cycle to.

It's too bad many are being demolished
Would be lovely, but I think many are pricey.
I love where we live and wouldn't change it, can't be bothered to change it and I get to walk to work in less than 100 paces so it's mad to change it....but....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.