Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Emirati female, over 30 and single? Over the hill...

Emirati female, over 30 and single? Over the hill...

Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emirati female, over 30 and single? Over the hill...

Apparently

http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/sin...080149767.html

"If you are a 30-year-old Emirati woman and still single, then you've have missed the marriage boat. By UAE standards, you are now considered to be an old maid.

The problem, authorities in the Gulf state say, is that more and more women fall into this category: some 60 percent, according to the latest statistics, raising concerns among officials and sparking online debates as to why.

The issue has been the focus of discussions for weeks at the Federal National Council, the country's appointed consultative body, where members are scrambling to find a solution to what they believe could be a serious demographic problem.

"This is very worrying," FNC member Said al-Kitbi told AFP, adding that there are now more than 175,000 Emirati women who are over 30 and unmarried"

and it goes on

..."The latest government statistics show that at least 20 percent of UAE men are marrying non-Emiratis"...

..."Some of the most interesting statistics from a separate survey of 200 medical students show that many men and women believe polygamy may be the solution.

Some 73 percent of those surveyed said encouraging polygamy was a reasonable solution to the spinster crisis -- and 59 percent of women surveyed agreed."
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:43 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirati female, over 30 and single? Over the hill...

**** me nothing like priorities, perspective, sanity, a stable appoint of view and any number of other things that are on the to do list about a million places above this.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:06 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

What it doesn't say is that a large proportion of those women are divorced and in receipt of a very generous state 'pension' so are quite happy.

The foreign mixed marriage issue is because children of Emirati men receive citizenship irrespective of the nationality of the mother so they'll happily marry non-Emiratis, but it's not automatic (even after recent change) for children of an Emirati mother and foreign father to receive citizenship.

Society still frowns upon Emirati women marrying foreigners, though it will change with time. It's not dissimilar currently to the reaction a British girl would have had marrying an Asian or African in the UK in the 1950s, and 60 years is nothing in history so we're no different.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The Emirati men I know are fine, but I have come across plenty who are very much not, so I totally understand why an educated Emirati woman wouldn't want to marry them.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Some 73 percent of those surveyed said encouraging polygamy was a reasonable solution to the spinster crisis -- and 59 percent of women surveyed agreed."[/I]
So if there are a lot of single men, would they encourage polyandry?

Solution seems to be to curtain barriers preventing local women from marrying foreigners.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:46 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Solution seems to be to curtain barriers preventing local women from marrying foreigners.
Or they could let women marry whoever they choose, including non-Musliims.

But then half of them would leave I expect...

N.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctfc
What it doesn't say is that a large proportion of those women are divorced and in receipt of a very generous state 'pension' so are quite happy.

The foreign mixed marriage issue is because children of Emirati men receive citizenship irrespective of the nationality of the mother so they'll happily marry non-Emiratis, but it's not automatic (even after recent change) for children of an Emirati mother and foreign father to receive citizenship.

Society still frowns upon Emirati women marrying foreigners, though it will change with time. It's not dissimilar currently to the reaction a British girl would have had marrying an Asian or African in the UK in the 1950s, and 60 years is nothing in history so we're no different.

Nothing has changed in thevlast 60 years in Cheshire
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest its not that different to the UK, my dear old granny recently told me not to worry as there are some nice homes for spinsters... sob! obviously im well past it at 35!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:40 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Nothing has changed in thevlast 60 years in Cheshire
Depends what part of Cheshire. In the poncy parts, maybe. But in the rough and tumble Runcorn/Widnes/Warrington conurbation... Where you're lucky if your tyres are the same after six month, never mind 60 years
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:12 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
to be honest its not that different to the UK, my dear old granny recently told me not to worry as there are some nice homes for spinsters... sob! obviously im well past it at 35!
I am the same age and amongst my friends there are more of us unmarried than married (Both male and females) Granted a few of us gave marriage a go and In my case lasted 5 months.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:38 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I am the same age and amongst my friends there are more of us unmarried than married (Both male and females) Granted a few of us gave marriage a go and In my case lasted 5 months.
I was married at 24 - it lasted 7 years (and 5 seperated but on good terms)...will give it another go when I find a 30 year old Emirati nymphomaniac who will dress like Bettie Paige under her abaya.

N.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:07 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Emeratist on being single

http://www.emaratist.com/high-on-emi...80%99m-single/

WHY I’M SINGLE
12.07.12 / High on emirates / 1 Comment

She’s big personality, confident, successful, ambitious, educated, I believe fairly good looking, etc … But yeah why?!

Is it too late? Hell no
I honestly believe that labeling a single woman who’s in her late 20s or 30s as a spinster is no longer relevant. Am I single by choice? I’d say absolutely yes. In any case, this piece of thought is general and not specifically about me. Trust me, there are thousands of Emarati women out there who have decided to wisely wait and not ride the first train stop. Ironically, as women i.e. not the alpha male , we have been taught from a very young age that once the train passes by, you either jump or kiss it goodbye. Not to forget, our eggs are wasted and yeah we’ll no longer be fertile. Exactly, women in the Arab world are pressurized by a brutally judgmental society to marry, produce few dozens, nurture till death knocks their doors.
What I find extremely bizarre is the way that our Arab society keeps promoting a very outdated rationale about why women aren’t getting married as quickly as they used to do. Here is the magic word and obviously number one (promoted) reason of growing spinsters in our societies tarararaaa à “dowry” or as we say almahar. I have to say, I beg to differ! Why blame it on the dowry? It is not the high dowry that keeps many women in the UAE or other Arab societies single, not at all. But its actually the fact that we women have now unlimited opportunities and our lives – thankfully – don’t only revolve around men.
Just to be clear, YES, we do fancy men and we love having conversations with them in whatever professional environment (especially the good looking ones hehe JK!). And, I’m not saying that we’re no longer interested in having our own families and loving partners, we do, but unfortunately it is not enough. I’m sorry to break the news … Women in the Emarati society have changed and progressed along with the nation’s growth. Many knowledgeable women aging between late 20s and early 30s are very hesitant to jeopardize their freedom or give up their time for mediocre lifetime partners. Women are now artists, entrepreneurs, volunteers, academics, ministers and technically do run the world. And yes, finding compatible future husbands who can comprehend our growing ambition can actually be a bit challenging and sometimes time consuming.
I sincerely want to encourage men to humbly take some quality time to recognize and positively understand the changing psychology of women. I’d like to confirm that this specific class of women in the Emarati society isn’t trying to revolt against any customs or act tough or superior. Women are very keen to capitalize on given opportunities in a way that benefits their agendas and people. Their progressive and big personalities shouldn’t been seen as threat or negative trend among men.
My mother had probably given birth to her 10th child before hitting 35 and I salute her for putting so much effort to first staying sane and second raising my siblings and myself at her best. But, I personally have decided to carry on a different path in life because the dynamics of the society have changed. Today I can choose to be whatever I want to be whenever I feel like, I have options. Being a mature single woman is so empowering especially in a male dominant society that is now being introduced to a whole new wave of powerful, independent and beautiful women.
I’m single until further notice, and only I will decide when to give out the notice!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:41 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

That woman in the picture with the cigar sits outside a Restaurant in Havana and charges people a dollar to take a picture with her, we did it there. Funny old thing, still got the picture of her wrapped around my mate.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
still got the picture of her wrapped around my mate.
WTF? Mind boggles! Your mate, well we've all got different names for it.
Strangest I heard was a lady who called hers her Foo Foo.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:59 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by mikewot
WTF? Mind boggles! Your mate, well we've all got different names for it.
Strangest I heard was a lady who called hers her Foo Foo.
Foo Foo, Minky Moo, tuppence I have heard them called allsorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.